A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pelican Point Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Slingshot foil board, Cabrinha Skillit
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Next steps, whats the best progression?

Postby DukeSilver » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:21 pm

If you don't crash and burn, you never learn. For me the biggest hurdle is deciding to try a new move. Once the decision is made, the move actually comes relatively quickly. 360s and tacks to toe side were starting to be occasionally completed after a day or 2 of the initial attempt. Foot swaps on the foil took a little longer - especially toe to heel side swaps. Maybe a couple of weeks for the latter.

Lots of video watching and forum reading helped me learn these moves in my head before I even attempted them on the water. Keep a positive attitude and back your ability to do what you see others doing. I've been foiling for about 3 years and I've only started trying full tacks with foot swaps. This is by far the move I have found the hardest. I've had maybe 70 to 100 attempts and I've come very close on maybe 3 or 4 of them. When I try a new transition, I do very short runs before attempting the move. 30m to 50m at the most. This way I'm assured of many more attempts per session.

I have friends who have a similar amount of foiling experience who have barely become comfortable gybing to toe side and can't swap feet on the foil yet. Because they haven't even tried. They do long runs, practicing what they are already comfortable with, but avoid the ego bruising that learning anything new brings.

BTW, your list looks like a good and logical progression in your foiling journey.

wheat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas
Style: Foil
Gear: 5.5m Cloud, 8m SST, 12m Gong Strutless, 633 Moses, 91cm Mast

Postby wheat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Awesome topic and comments. Thanks.
I like the list and progression.
If you want to break down the list farther, have a strong and weak foot subsection for each step.
Adding a surfboard practice step before the foiling step can avoid falls and work on footwork.

Examples:
Toeside dominant foot, then toeside weak foot.
Toeside downwind -> toeside perpendicular to wind -> Toeside upwind overpowered on weak side.
gybe, gybe with downloop, gybe downloop hard and carve hard, Do "figure eights" with gybes every 10 yards

My goals for this season: Foot Switch, 360, tack, so I have a lot to learn. I appreciate all the experts sharing the passion.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana, SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, SST 5m, Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/105/111cm masts with 637+695/425 590/330 679/450 wingsets, Tim's 36" woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $480, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44cm like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530

Moses 590/647/330 $690, Moses 679/749/483 $890, 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:04 pm

A list I would advise would be:

Riding each direction
Riding downwind
Riding S turns downwind
Riding toeside (here come endless sessions and chances of forgetting how to ride weak side so foot switches drop from the list to way later phase too)
Strapless
Looping/downlooping while riding
Heelside tack
Toeeside tack
Sitting on side/standing
Sitting face forward/standing
…keep going

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai
GK Trix
FS Peak4
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:51 pm

Most things on that list are functional steps that will help develop your skills, but sitting on your board is none of that and completely optional in a progression list, so can be left out in case you think it looks super naff.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:34 am

bragnouff wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:51 pm
Most things on that list are functional steps that will help develop your skills, but sitting on your board is none of that and completely optional in a progression list, so can be left out in case you think it looks super naff.
Agreed, sitting on the board should not be on a progression list or maybe right at the beginning as they are so easy and don't require any particular skills.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:19 am

And it looks super naff.

Return to “Hydrofoil”