Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

an ultimate weapon for marginal wind ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: an ultimate weapon for marginal wind ?

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:14 pm

Foilholio,
I would like to avoid re-designing the bridles or spend enormous time on it. Just my modification spec:
- I know i have to keep all attachement points
- I assume original design is coherent and seem suitable when z are free
- so i start from this and use the existing A,B,C , D anz rows
- i keep A attached to B (fixed) fron fronstalls stab
- I will not implement jackomixer , which in the existing atrachements and conditions, will increase camber when sheet out... i really have more promissing things to test first IMO

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:20 pm

He was banned from KF

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:25 pm

Regis,
I’m looking forward to your results!
I’m also looking forward to the single skin kite manufacturers experimenting with ram air leading edges (like Ozone XXLIte 2) and possibly even a closed cell or two.

Carlos C,
That mastair 16 was a helluva kite. I sure enjoyed mine! And that Swiss dude (Manfred?) from paraflysurf did a pretty interesting thing with that spider bar! Not quite my thing but it could turn that big kite like it was on handles.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:18 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:02 am
...As you can see there is only A, C and Z so my speed system has only one pulley. But actually A is divided in two rows , which are therefore fixed, like my ex peak v1 had to maintain the LE stable, and I think it is a good thing to prevent fronstalls when sheet-out.

I will try to modify as minimum as possible. Indeed the briddle design is coherent and optimized by Ozone in straight line (Z high) and i do not want to touch it. Only find the best way to launch the kite and make it turn without redoing too much briddles. Probably by just removing the central Z , and also set my mixer so that i obtain the original AoA of the XXLite when bar is fully sheet out, trim unpulled. And i suspect the "stabilo line" on the tips to be in detriment of turn if not slack, so I will look carrefully at this.
Hi Regis,

Did you remove your videos or pictures? The embedded links don't work anymore.
I have an old scrap paraglider that I have some time to play with...

Did your modification look something like this :think:
LinePlanParglider-4.jpg

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:21 pm
Sorry I made a mistake on the weight; it is lighter : 1.37 kg

Here is a film with a bit more images and showing the launch, landing, and final punition in the water ...

I posted two videos that seem to be still available ; this is the last one for reminder ;

Yes this is exactly my mod, very simple as a starter the green line on the left (KR) is the one that the paraglider pilot has in hand normally ;

However I have added a line that links the bridles attachements right to the bridle attachement left (where the paraglider pilot attaches its seat, to similate the link done by the seat) ; this new attachement rope is adjustable to find the correct length :
- too short the kite is not very stable in turns l(backstall turn / heli loops)
- too long it deforms the profile like a bird :
When I will have time I will separate the bridles arriving to the pulley in two (quite easy looking at the bridle partition on the XXLite);

I think this could partially work without speed system but you will face difficulty to launch the paraglider from a kite bar which will pull A/B/C at the same time with no real AoA decrease

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:48 am

Thanks, for some reason the video links did not work earlier, but they work now. Interesting experiment, looks to be small enough and controllable using the big ear wingtips down.

After some more research online I convinced myself this is a bad idea with my larger twinskin paraglider. Too much lift and too heavy for light winds.

I have kited a 17m Speed1 like the one Armin used to paraglide (see below). That kite is heavy and when it does fly, once I started moving the apparent wind overpowered me. The paraglider would be worse and have an even narrower if any usable range. Seems like your version had lots of power and with the wing distortion and flapping tip drag you kept it under control.
ParagliderSpeed1.png

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:38 pm

PugetSoundKiter wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:48 am
After some more research online I convinced myself this is a bad idea with my larger twinskin paraglider. Too much lift and too heavy for light winds.
Yes I agree ; in this sizes weight is a key, as it is only for wind less than 6 knots ; above, standard light kite will do the job better ; using a very large hydrofoil helps to waterstart then limit the apparent wind IMO;
PugetSoundKiter wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:48 am
I have kited a 17m Speed1 like the one Armin used to paraglide (see below). That kite is heavy and when it does fly, once I started moving the apparent wind overpowered me. The paraglider would be worse and have an even narrower if any usable range. Seems like your version had lots of power and with the wing distortion and flapping tip drag you kept it under control.
This ride was too short to see if the tip folding was a good or bad thing ; It seems that both configuration worked, but you are true, its flapping certainly limited apparent wind; what is sure is that this flapping during by walk-out from shore rearward was a good thing it stabilitzed the paraglider a lot ;

BUT ... I target lower winds, this test was with about 6 knots which is safe for test, more easy , but not my target ; hence we'll si in less winds if I search for flapping or smooth profile ; I suppose smooth profile unless the winds drops too high

By the way I felt very secure (except putting the kite in water) due to its poor turn and collapsing if too sheet-out

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:52 pm

i will sell my XXLite if someone is interested . For paragliding or kite transformation

Return to “Hydrofoil”