Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to make a KF Box board compatible with 4 bolt hydrofoil?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
DariKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Kite: 12mt Liquid Force WOW ; 9mt Cabrinha SwitchBlade
Board: Cabrinha Ace ; Wainmann Hawaii Passport 5'7" ; F-One Mitu Pro Convertible 2016 (Hydrofoil/Surf)
Brand Affiliation: None

How to make a KF Box board compatible with 4 bolt hydrofoil?

Postby DariKite » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:51 am

I bought a 2016 F One Mitu Convertible board which is marketed for kitesurfing waves and hydrofoil. It has a KF Box but I want to instal a hydrofoil which has 4 bolts 90mm pattern. I want to be able to install a Neil Pryde CRX hydrofoil or a Liquid Force Happy Foil but those have 4 bolt plates.
F_ONE_surfkite_Mitu_monteiro_promodel_5_8_1-2.jpg
F_ONE_surfkite_Mitu_monteiro_promodel_5_8_1-2.jpg (75.46 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
I wonder if the below is a proper adapter to make the 4 bolt plates fit into this board's KF Box? Will it work with different brands?

http://zeeko-kites.com/gb/kitefoil-seri ... -foil.html
kf-box-adaptater-foil.jpg
kf-box-adaptater-foil.jpg (52.42 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
kf-box-adaptater-foil (1).jpg
kf-box-adaptater-foil (1).jpg (46.25 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
kf-box-adaptater-foil (2).jpg
kf-box-adaptater-foil (2).jpg (10.7 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Also, I might have the option to install a rail box on the board like one in this picture?
Track box hydrofoil.png
Where can I get the adapters or the rail track box for a good price in USA/Canada?

DAnderson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: 14.5 A Flite
8/5 A Roam
18/12 soul 11/9 av8
15/9 s3
ha725/195
ML B3

Re: How to make a KF Box board compatible with 4 bolt hydrofoil?

Postby DAnderson » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:44 am

https://www.windance.com/PowerPlate-Com ... rbo/41722/ is an example of an adapter not currently offered w/ kf-box (perhaps they'd make one?)
considering added weight + cost, you may be better off just getting a starter foil board.. not to mention, is the current mounting location appropriate, on many foils your rear foot is in front/on top on the mast. I guess you would certainly have room to adjust.

uncool
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby uncool » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:19 am

It’s a nice board and works well with Ketos foils.

One option is Project Cedrus mast with a KF box head.

It’s quite nice to assemble with just one bolt mast to board.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:37 pm

Hi DariKite, saw your post in the other thread, but havent had time to answer - too much wind and waves here in Denmark the last month, and this weekend too :thumb:

There are several KFBox adapters, but some brands make them for their plate masts, together with Tuttle also.

The Zeeko one you show as the last one in your picture, is the one I used when having a Zeeko Spitfire and using it with KFBox Ketos boards.

Works just fine, also without the plate (but can be used with the plate underneath also, for support if you got a weaker board).
Only one thing, you have to tighten the bolts REALLY hard, otherwise it will be loose, and mast can twist just slightly - you dont want that.

It might also work on other alumasts, if the two holes are spaced the same, I dont know, but easy to find out.

Gong has an adapter too, that fits perfect in their alu masts, even better as it can not twist at all, sits spot on you almost dont need the screws ha haa - this one:

F-One makes adapters too:

And I believe Alpine also:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
DariKite (Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

DariKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Kite: 12mt Liquid Force WOW ; 9mt Cabrinha SwitchBlade
Board: Cabrinha Ace ; Wainmann Hawaii Passport 5'7" ; F-One Mitu Pro Convertible 2016 (Hydrofoil/Surf)

Postby DariKite » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:50 pm

Thank you all. It's good to know there are solutions but it seems the adaptors are like 100 euros and that's expensive. I'll see if I can get a second hand somewhere when I buy the hydrofoil.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:34 pm

$100 is not so much; to go the other way, mounting a kf box mast on a plate or track board, the adapters are $150++
Alternately it is not too hard to route 4 holes through the board around the kf box and add 4 inserts in toughened epoxy, or just holes and through bolts. Do make sure to put carbon patches 400-600gsm each side though...
A good surf repair shop or anyone who has worked on foilboards or windsurfers could do it, probably similar price to an adapter.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:24 am

BWD wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:34 pm
$100 is not so much; to go the other way, mounting a kf box mast on a plate or track board, the adapters are $150++
Alternately it is not too hard to route 4 holes through the board around the kf box and add 4 inserts in toughened epoxy, or just holes and through bolts. Do make sure to put carbon patches 400-600gsm each side though...
A good surf repair shop or anyone who has worked on foilboards or windsurfers could do it, probably similar price to an adapter.

True, but if it would cost about the same, it would be a shame to make "surgery" on that beautiful board, also making it heavier.

And end up with the klutzy base plate underneath, besides now (most likely) having to tighten four screws/bolts instead of just one, each time :roll:

8) Peter

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:54 pm

Having owned that very same board (without foil box) If I remember well there is some V in the shape of the hull towards the back of the board. A plate wouldn't sit flat on the hull unless shimmed.

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:14 am

The easiest way would probably to buy the KFbox head matching the mast of the same brand because of the mast screw spacing.
If you live outside Europe, for export the gong set (90cm mast + KFbox head) in USD would cost (79 + 39) x 1.15 /1.2 = 113USD + shipping
Then you have to adapt a plane : either the same brand (no adaptor) or from another brand with mast to fuselage adaptor (in the 100USD plus can be difficult )
Long story short, because the initial requirement was the board KFbox, its is more simple and cheaper to buy a complete foil in the same foil brand (Mantafoils, Zeeko, Gong, Alpine, Fone, ....)
The very last, most simple but not the most expensive solution would be to sell the F-one Mitu board and buy a board with US rail + the foil with plate that is available.

Return to “Hydrofoil”