Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Learning 180 after mastering 360

Postby alowishus » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:15 am

Huib wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:27 am
Think this video explane it very well
Thanks for reminding me of this vid. I saw it ages ago and was trying this manoeuvre last session, but the finer details were forgotten in the heat of the moment.
I kept making the mistake of trying to go around the lines, leaning back, falling off / getting pulled off the board rather than push the lines out of the way.
It looks so simple... but somehow impossible for me right now :lol: Next sesh surely I'll crack it!

Huib
Medium Poster
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Wave, Ketos Foil, Cloud D2E 6.2 + D2E 4.8+ D2E 3.7,D2E 2.8, Ozone Alpha 10

Postby Huib » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:42 am

My problem with mastering the 360 is that I cannot stay upright on the board. This is probably because I prefer to foil with a kite as small as possible.
I manage it regularly with the 10 meter kite and a lot of power. But not with the small and fast Clouds.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:23 am

alowishus wrote:I kept making the mistake of trying to go around the lines, leaning back, falling off / getting pulled off the board rather than push the lines out of the way.
It looks so simple... but somehow impossible for me right now :lol: Next sesh surely I'll crack it!
Gotta get used to getting the lines up in your face :lol: or rather, getting your chest into them and side-stepping it like a tango :D

I was playing with it today in light wind ... and the key was to keep the kite moving smoothly from one side to the other, which meant committing to sending the kite then timing the ride under it. Like doing transitions with a loop...
Huib wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:42 am
My problem with mastering the 360 is that I cannot stay upright on the board. This is probably because I prefer to foil with a kite as small as possible.
I manage it regularly with the 10 meter kite and a lot of power. But not with the small and fast Clouds.
If you can do it when underpowered on a "big" kite I'm sure you can do it with a small one...!
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
alowishus (Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:10 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Huib wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:42 am
The key factor is NOT to think of it as a backroll you would do on a Twintip (where you lean back).
You need to get your bodyweight centered over the mast once you have initiated the carve. So maybe just try to give the board one short carve to ride straight into the wind, then recenter your body over the mast. Once the body is over the mast, you are in balance and can start to bring the kite around by cranking the bar and doing a kiteloop, which will pull you around the rest of the 360 degrees. With practise, this will become more natural and you can time it based on wind speed and kite size.
For example, in low winds with big, slow kites, I lean into the wind once I am facing upwind to get more tension in the lines and loop the kite quicker..

Just remember: There is no forced, snappy move in the foil 360 as there would be in a backroll. When its done well, its one smooth, effortless motion.
Its all about the kite timing and the weight distribution on the foil, so keep on trying!
These users thanked the author Qiter for the post:
Huib (Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:38 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:31 am

I do this landboarding rather than foil. My mental prep is:

Send kite up with backhand to just behind zenith for the carve up into wind and the line pass across chest. (The hard part!)

For 360: keep pulling with the backhand for completion of kiteloop - keeping the board driving round to orig tack feels natural.

For 180: subtle pause for stance adjustment (get ready for toesde) then pull with backhand (new fronthand) to redirect for new tack. (No loop). If kite has gone upwind get it kite back in window to get power in the redirect

(Surprisingly the 180 feels really weird if you have been doing lots of 360s and you really miss the drive you got from completing a loop. Obviously you could loop and a half but that is going to pull you off the board or send you on a long detour downwind. In my dreams I do the line pass by unhooking and just holding the chicken loop - nice to have an ambition.)
Last edited by Herman on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

alowishus
Medium Poster

Postby alowishus » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:09 pm

After 90min of continuous “waterstart-carve upwind-fall off”, been a while since i’ve put myself through that punishment, I managed two 180s and one 360 (accidental).

Now i know what they feel like kind of at least.

Biggest challenge for me in 180s was shifting my weight to go toeside, while staying on the board, not to mention the timing :roll: Couldn’t keep the momentum.

I think straps might make it a bit easier, but i don’t have any.

I got a ways to master this stuff :lol:

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:31 pm

Way easier with straps.

airsail
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Queens
Favorite Beaches: Queens, Scarbs
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Bularoo 7, Yaga Pro 11, HP10&12, FS Psycho2 17,
Cardboard 136x46, Nobile 555 131x40

Postby airsail » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:58 pm

My foot pump into the 180 is much larger than when doing a 360. This tends to throw you forward and centred over the board for the exit. I also look way over my shoulder during a 360, continuing the turn, but just back the other way during a 180.
These users thanked the author airsail for the post:
matanshapira (Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:02 pm)

alowishus
Medium Poster

Postby alowishus » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:13 am

airsail wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:58 pm
My foot pump into the 180 is much larger than when doing a 360. This tends to throw you forward and centred over the board for the exit. I also look way over my shoulder during a 360, continuing the turn, but just back the other way during a 180.
Airsail, Interesting that you mention a foot pump. Tucker doesn’t say anything about it, but it definitely looks like he pumps just going into the carve.

The Duotone dude does it slightly differently, seeming to rely more on lift from the kite, so no noticeable foot pump.

I’ll try and throw one in next time :thumb:

matanshapira
Medium Poster

Postby matanshapira » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:18 pm

alowishus wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:13 am
airsail wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:58 pm
Airsail, Interesting that you mention a foot pump. Tucker doesn’t say anything about it, but it definitely looks like he pumps just going into the carve.

The Duotone dude does it slightly differently, seeming to rely more on lift from the kite, so no noticeable foot pump.

I’ll try and throw one in next time :thumb:
I'm not sure if that's what he refers to but I do a significant push with the back leg to initiate the turn upwind. For me it was a breakthrough when I added it

Return to “Hydrofoil”