Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Let's Talk Foil Families

Postby juandesooka » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:27 am

My foil heritage: Stringy wings/fuselage on a slingshot mast. Then some DIY g10 wings added to the fuselage (very simple flat wing attached to flat surface).

Then got into surf foiling, added slingshot wings and a slingshot fuselage to the mast, along with additional shorter masts. They are heavy but solid. Being able to interchange parts is great, especially with the parts being comparatively cheap. They claim to be the world's leading seller of foil gear, so there's tons of used options and blowout deals on older gear. Buddy just bought brand new H2 and H4 wings for $95us each.

Now into GoFoil for surf foiling -- cheap deals on packages, especially from hawaii, given all the expert riders are now moving to other brands or to the higher aspect GL line. Pros: nice light carbon is a treat (though honestly, unless you're jumping or racing I don't think weight matters much). Very nicely tuned overall package. No worries about seizing bolts. A lot less fiddling around with bolts.
Cons: I dread the day when I break the mast, as it costs more to replace new than what i paid for the entire package. Mast is less stiff. Not as easily interchangeable (though if you're handy, some filing or adding tape shim, can move to any wing/fuselage). I don't yet have a wing small enough for kiting.

Buddies have LP and MFC carbon works of art for surf foiling. They are too pretty for me to abuse. I can't stomach the $$ involved knowing it's inevitable they will be meeting the rocks, sooner or later. Replacement parts are crazy expensive.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Let's Talk Foil Families

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:45 pm

Am currently riding Lift, so is Laird.

So we fam.

Return to “Hydrofoil”