Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

foiling is surfing

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: foiling is surfing

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:29 am

1/2km down the line surfing with a kite in 8ft cross off with barrel sections is happening, but there is good reason why you won't be able to find the footage - there is only so much yummy food to go around and sharing it online is out of the question.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:45 pm

What applies to Laird does not simply translate to the rest of us!

For most of us foiling is not surfing, but it's sure as hell the best substitute to evolve so far! I don't think Laird would look at what most of us do and call it surfing, but I bet he would understand immediately why we do it. That we are making do with what we've got and using whatever tool we can to garner as much feel and push from whatever swell the winds generate. I kite in the winter. I don't say I'm going snowboarding, but its fun as hell when the snow is good and I get excited during a snow storm with the same catecholamines as surfers frothing over an approaching swell.

Foils make mountains out of molehills. I rode for years on a small fish shape with a kite in 14 knots. It definitely wasn't surfing, mostly strapless bump and jump. Strapless airs were more the goal and piecing together a couple turns wherever possible. At that point I had no idea there would evolve a tool to actually make more out of those swell. Now, the same days are no longer bump and jump. They are all about seeking the cleanest lines and getting as many turns in on the steepest parts. The riding has definitely moved closer to "surfing" despite the move away from actual surfboards.

I make no pretences to being a surfer or a snowboarder. We have no ocean or mountains nearby, but I still eek out a sport on surfboards and snowboards year in and year out.

Learning to foil has brought my riding closer to surfing than switching to surfboards ever did!

What Laird is doing is most definitely surfing. What I am doing is definitely not and I couldn't care less.

Stoke is stoke.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
bragnouff (Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:29 pm) • tomtom (Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:32 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:11 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:29 am
...there is good reason why you won't be able to find the footage - there is only so much yummy food to go around and sharing it online is out of the question.
Not about you longwhitecloud, but this just flashed how it sounds exactly as surfing culture is referred to - selfish and pricky. “GTFO my swamp” culture. It’s like eating birthday cake alone to brag about how you ate a birthday cake alone.
Last edited by grigorib on Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
Flyboy (Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:20 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:45 pm
What applies to Laird does not simply translate to the rest of us!

For most of us foiling is not surfing, but it's sure as hell the best substitute to evolve so far! I don't think Laird would look at what most of us do and call it surfing, but I bet he would understand immediately why we do it. That we are making do with what we've got and using whatever tool we can to garner as much feel and push from whatever swell the winds generate. I kite in the winter. I don't say I'm going snowboarding, but its fun as hell when the snow is good and I get excited during a snow storm with the same catecholamines as surfers frothing over an approaching swell.

Foils make mountains out of molehills. I rode for years on a small fish shape with a kite in 14 knots. It definitely wasn't surfing, mostly strapless bump and jump. Strapless airs were more the goal and piecing together a couple turns wherever possible. At that point I had no idea there would evolve a tool to actually make more out of those swell. Now, the same days are no longer bump and jump. They are all about seeking the cleanest lines and getting as many turns in on the steepest parts. The riding has definitely moved closer to "surfing" despite the move away from actual surfboards.

I make no pretences to being a surfer or a snowboarder. We have no ocean or mountains nearby, but I still eek out a sport on surfboards and snowboards year in and year out.

Learning to foil has brought my riding closer to surfing than switching to surfboards ever did!

What Laird is doing is most definitely surfing. What I am doing is definitely not and I couldn't care less.

Stoke is stoke.
It's like surfers questioning the legitimacy of tow-in. Kind of pointless ultimately.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:34 pm

SUP foiling current envelope edge.
Last edited by ronnie on Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:35 pm

JTS...check out this Lake Michigan kiter / foil surfer page https://instagram.com/gethighkiteboardi ... f3xqf0nltr

He is stoked on how foiling has made surfing legitimately possible on weak low interval lake waves. So that might be worth looking into if you feel like mixing it up. Though it does probably cut into kiting, if there's only surf when it's also windy. Or maybe not, if the wind is way out there somewhere, bringing the waves, but not windy enough on shore to kite.

(For an ocean surfer, foil surf has been a bonus in that blown out conditions don't matter any more...for all those in between days, too windy to surf not windy enough to kite)

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:20 pm

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:49 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:35 pm
JTS...check out this Lake Michigan kiter / foil surfer page https://instagram.com/gethighkiteboardi ... f3xqf0nltr

He is stoked on how foiling has made surfing legitimately possible on weak low interval lake waves. So that might be worth looking into if you feel like mixing it up. Though it does probably cut into kiting, if there's only surf when it's also windy. Or maybe not, if the wind is way out there somewhere, bringing the waves, but not windy enough on shore to kite.

(For an ocean surfer, foil surf has been a bonus in that blown out conditions don't matter any more...for all those in between days, too windy to surf not windy enough to kite)

Why only kitefoil?

Even better for wingfoil :thumb:

8) Peter

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:22 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:49 pm
Why only kitefoil?

Even better for wingfoil :thumb:

8) Peter
Jury's still out on the wingfoil's true light wind potential. So far, winging is taking more wind than expected. Which means it is only doable when the kiting is decent too.

I am hopeful that with a 7m wing and gaining competency, that 10kt will be doable -- and if so, then it uses the wind in conditions that really aren't very fun for kiting (at least for me, you can kitefoil in 10kts, but riding waves gets pretty iffy). Until then, winging eats kiting's lunch....you don't get both, have to decide. 8) :wink: :cool2:

My spring project is to get competent at winging ... and i am willing to sacrifice some flat water kiting if it means being ready to chase wing-surf potential next Fall.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:30 pm

Isnt it quite the opposite here?

We are talking about a lake, where wind waves only occur when windy.

And here kitefoil do not excel, when really windy, whereas wingfoil seems to do better in waves when wind.

For lighter wind and waves, no doubt, kitefoil :thumb:

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”