A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil Gybe Advice

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:38 pm

purdyd wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:14 pm
I love the Kainani videos. I learned to switch feet from her video.

But I think the original question for this thread is about the heel to toe or toe to heel gybe, without foot switch.

Exactly, it is the basic transitions meaning carving around fra heel to toe (and back), not about jibes with foot switch.

8) Peter

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:29 pm

Don't sell that gear quite yet! As many here can attest, so many transitions learned have cost us hours of agony and determination.

First off, quite often I think that we may be doing something that sabotages our efforts without us being aware of it. So, your explanation may possibly be leaving out some critical information.

When I read your description, the first thing that came to mind was that you are riding underpowered, which seems more noticeable when riding toeside. Another thought is that the foil you are riding drops off foil when you slow down. That may exacerbate the problem. The bigger the wing, the longer you can glide during transitions and don't need the kite for power (momentum is the power).

Downloops create a lot of pull when done at the right time which will help. So does pumping the foil when you go to toe-side.

I believe that you should work on riding toe-side first, after you are comfortable riding heelside. The transition seems to be after riding heelside no problem, butt jibe, riding toe-side no problem, butt jibe, then connecting the two. Time will help as well.

Lastly, if you can have someone watch you or video you, and either have them give their opinion on what seems to be going wrong or you can as well from the video, oftentimes.

Hope that helps.

I remember how hard it was to nail this maneuver, and how rewarding, and now I can do them all day without thinking about it. You will get there pretty quick!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:40 pm

the best tip that has worked for so so many before,
and helped them turn that corner so quickly,
it is of course-----
get a moses 633 wing and 483 stabilizer
game changer!
why struggle?

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:52 pm

or the new slingshot
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2405261

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:47 am

two disagreements on some advice:

I don't think swapping out equipment is going to help. I got to do some demos when I was about at your stage and sorry to say, if you suck, you suck on all equipment. you can learn this on anything not too extreme (no race foils...)

second, I am a very good kite looper from my jumping days so I started at your phase with looping. But I learned it is not needed. if you get the carve right with tension in the lines and starting from upwind, even wind under 10 knots I do not loop and stay on foil through the jibe. A couple friends loop every turn but in my opinion, their timing is bad and they carve down wind way too early and then have to loop to compensate for bad timing and regain tension.

I do agree with another post that you are likely underpowered for a beginner which puts extra demand on perfection. try going out with a couple extra square meters just to practice turns. when you get a bit better, you can go back smaller.

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:15 am

I’ve recently swapped to the Moses Onda set up with the 75cm aluminium mast. Only had a couple of sessions so far but I’ve got to say it makes the whole process of gybing to toeside so much easier. Glad I changed, I think my progress this year is going to be accelerated I’m sure.

Simon

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:02 am

Si_B wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:15 am
I’ve recently swapped to the Moses Onda set up with the 75cm aluminium mast. Only had a couple of sessions so far but I’ve got to say it makes the whole process of gybing to toeside so much easier. Glad I changed, I think my progress this year is going to be accelerated I’m sure.

Simon
I met a guy at flag beach who was on the edge of giving up trying to fly gybe around, and he was 3 years in, we were talking about my experience as I felt his pain and understand his frustration, I just said try getting a demo on the onda 633 wing as soon as possible,
I did,
many others I know did the same,
2 weeks later he bought the 633, and in the same week he messaged me, last week in fact, he was so chuffed and thanked me as he can now can fly jybe.

there may be other similar wings out there but there is only one 633 onda, you can tell who own them, they are smiling when on the water and grinning like a cheshire cat as they come off the water.

do it and enjoy it. :thumb:

Sfollis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ainsdale
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach FUE
Style: Foil board
Gear: Ozone and Moses
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sfollis » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:31 am

I guess “kitegirl” is in quarantine from Covid-19 as they haven’t replied to anyone’s comments! However, as normal it’s created a new topic for the regulars to debate over 🤣

BTW
tomtom wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:25 pm

“Anybody who cant jibe on SB or TT with ease are just not skill enough for HF”

I totally disagree, you do not need to be able to gybe a SB or TT (I certainly didn’t and know others too who didn’t). If the person is struggling to do this simple transition they must have the wrong gear for learning on. As Foil wrote, why struggle 👍

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:44 am

It is even possible not to know jibe on TT? :)

Sfollis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ainsdale
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach FUE
Style: Foil board
Gear: Ozone and Moses
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sfollis » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:02 pm

Tomtom,

Perhaps you were just playing the fool but to clarify: the definition of a Gybe is to turn the stern through the wind direction. Therefore, most TwinTips NEVER gybe, instead they travel in one direction then transition to travel in the opposite direction without the board switching directions and therefore they never gybe. On a SB and FB this is not possible as there is only one direction the board will travel and the rider has to gybe the board or tack to go the opposite direction.

🤙 let’s hope we here from Kitegirl too

Return to “Hydrofoil”