Foil Gybe Advice

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Foil Gybe Advice

Postby purdyd » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:20 pm

Rojbrown wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:26 pm
In a different thread (Armstrong vs Axis) advice was a different foil would Not allow for rapid progression such as this. I'm stuck in touch down gybe mode. For me that's the current and elusive goal. Yes, time on the water is probably the main limitation. Any feedback on equipment (specifically foil) to accelerate to this skill. Thanks!!
I have seen and experienced the same thing as kitegirls, having the right foil can make a big difference.

I think the problem with your question in the axis versus Armstrong foil thread is that you were asking about a couple of foils that there isn’t a huge experience base on.

A
Riding a Ke Nalu 580 foil which I've enjoyed (1084cm2).
might be a wonderful foil for gybing.

If you are touching down you could try a bigger kite, that should give you a bit more power and lift in the turn.

If you come out of a turn fast you will tend lift up.

You might just need a bit more wind or commit the kite more to the turn.

You could try a smaller board. Smaller boards will react faster in pitch and might help you correct faster.

You could try a different foil, one that gives better lift at a higher angle it will let you keep the board up at a slower speed.

You could try a longer mast and start higher in the turn.

Good luck!
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
Rojbrown (Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:52 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Cabrinha kites. North, Airush, and Slingshot boards and foils.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Eduardo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:24 am

chibern wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:12 pm
Slight thread hijack...

What is the trick to high(er) speed gybes? For relatively sedate speeds, I can gybe fine. However, if I'm cruising along and want to do a sudden direction change I always outrun my kite especially in lower (10kt) winds. Do I just have to lean harder into the turn to tighten up the radius, downloop only, faster/slower kite movement?
if you are medium to well powered, wider radius gybes are fine because the kite will drift down wind with you while you are heading nearly down wind. once under powered, you have to have a very short time pointing the board downwind to avoid slack lines, which means tighter radius.

But a lot depends on kite timing. the board should turn later than you would for a surf board. if you're lightly powered, try waiting until the kite is nearly directly down wind of you before you even start turning. turning the board too early is a problem even in stronger winds. as I mentioned in my earlier post, the people I know who loop every gybe are just turning the board too early and then need the downwind surge of a kiteloop to compensate. I know the trick well from wave riding as it's important to be able to downloop the kite to get it down wind if the wave is taking you downwind too fast. But here, you choose how fast you go downwind. so no need...
These users thanked the author Eduardo for the post:
chibern (Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:23 am)
Rating: 8.33%

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 am

Deleted
Last edited by marlboroughman on Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:14 am

marlboroughman wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 am
16 session today and I can do this both ways without looking at the kite. Lets back it up to TT and surfboard to get a better picture.
TT - we dive the kite toward the water and when it goes back up, mid point we send it the other way and we follow it at full speed.
Surfboard - we send the kite all the way up change direction and we send it down on the other side on the new course.
Foil we send the kite to 12 from already high position say 1, with kite at 12 we turn and send the kite down but only to 11 and at this time we have to be on a new course slightly downwind. No following the the kite!!! Turning under it and sending it to the new side.
Actually you can do any of those kite movements with any of those boards, including a foil.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:34 am

purdyd wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:14 am
marlboroughman wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 am
16 session today and I can do this both ways without looking at the kite. Lets back it up to TT and surfboard to get a better picture.
TT - we dive the kite toward the water and when it goes back up, mid point we send it the other way and we follow it at full speed.
Surfboard - we send the kite all the way up change direction and we send it down on the other side on the new course.
Foil we send the kite to 12 from already high position say 1, with kite at 12 we turn and send the kite down but only to 11 and at this time we have to be on a new course slightly downwind. No following the the kite!!! Turning under it and sending it to the new side.

Actually you can do any of those kite movements with any of those boards, including a foil.

Correct purdyd, it is simply personal experience and liking and style, and nothing but that, you can do either type on all types of boards, when jibing (and also downlooping of course, but it restricts the options somewhat, compared to flying "up").

I am sure if you took another rider, she/he could have 3 completely different ways as preferred, on TT/Surfboard/Hydrofoil boards :rollgrin:

It is also scenario dependant, whether low wind or high wind or waves or not, and how long your lines are, kitesize etc - which type one uses.

8) Peter

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:29 pm

OK, Starsky you do it. I am done here

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:46 pm

95% of people can't teach. Talk too much. Information overload. Good luck. Out.

Return to “Hydrofoil”