Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Mike's Lab
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: ventilation

Postby SparD » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:14 pm

Racers use 110-115 cm masts because of this.

But a 100 cm will do fine for most non-racers also, and a better compromise I would say.
The Mike's Lab Bullet 3 which is to this date the most widely used race foil by the top guys has a strut/mast of only 103 cm ;)

Almost all of the the newest race foils have a 106cm mast.

Breaching of the front wing is not an issue if the wingtips are well designed.

Strut/Mast ventilation is the biggest issue of a kitefoil racer. It happens when you push upwind and believe me with our foil kites we push hard !

Here are two examples from 2017 when I was still racing strapless on my Spotz Tuna, good old times :)

At that time the issue was that my mast was dirty. I learned the hard way that it should always be clean and never touched with the fingers.

At one point every foil, even the best one can ventilate depending on the wind and water conditions. What separates the best race foils from the other ones is the resistance to ventilation and its mitigation so that the bubbles does not go down to much.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: ventilation

Postby cwood » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:51 am

SparD wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:14 pm

Racers use 110-115 cm masts because of this.

But a 100 cm will do fine for most non-racers also, and a better compromise I would say.
The Mike's Lab Bullet 3 which is to this date the most widely used race foil by the top guys has a strut/mast of only 103 cm ;)

Almost all of the the newest race foils have a 106cm mast.

Breaching of the front wing is not an issue if the wingtips are well designed.

Strut/Mast ventilation is the biggest issue of a kitefoil racer. It happens when you push upwind and believe me with our foil kites we push hard !

Here are two examples from 2017 when I was still racing strapless on my Spotz Tuna, good old times :)

At that time the issue was that my mast was dirty. I learned the hard way that it should always be clean and never touched with the fingers.

At one point every foil, even the best one can ventilate depending on the wind and water conditions. What separates the best race foils from the other ones is the resistance to ventilation and its mitigation so that the bubbles does not go down to much.
Strut ventilation is far more common in my experience when pushing hard and fast to boost with big line pressure. The fall is like a drop out to the side and it's generally violent and not fun. Agree on very clean mast....makes a huge difference.

Return to “Hydrofoil”