Stainless L key torx

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Stainless L key torx

Postby purdyd » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:34 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:47 am
In my experience the only things that are hard to tighten are worn hex heads. It's really hard to get the leverage to get the screw tight so you end up overtightening them and further damaging the head and/or the driver.

With a Torx head you get a very positive lock on the screw head. It is easy to tighten the screw without overcranking it. There's no wear on the screw head or the driver.

Small Phillips head screws are very bad. So far the very big Phillips screws on my GoFoil have a very positive lock with the screwdriver.

Tuttle head masts and GoFoil style foils need very little tightening for a solid connection. For kite foiling there is no way I would buy a foil with wings held on by screws. Either a one piece glider, or integrated wing and fuse ends only.
Whether you tighten a torx head or a worn hex head, it takes the same torque. A worn hexis harder because you have to apply more force straight down to keep the bit engaged. At least for tightening.

There are plenty of designs that aren’t Tuttle and wings that bolt on that work fine. They do require the bolts be snug.

I agree Phillips is not a good idea for foils.
Last edited by purdyd on Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Stainless L key torx

Postby purdyd » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:56 pm

tomtom wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:19 am
Screwdriver /handle/ all the way. Also on bikes. You dont need leverage for such small sizes.

Sometimes i have feeling that we are solving nonexistent problems

Edit
I mean Torx tool with screwdriver handle - not Phillips head and screws which should be prohibited in 2020!!!
Again personally I find 9 newton meters of torque to be very difficult to achieve with a regular screwdriver head let alone 12nm

These are quite common torque values in bikes. 5 nm is easier is but also generally best to use torque wrenches on these as they are on sensitive parts.

The screws used in foiling are much larger and the carbon much thicker.

Some foil designs put the screws in tension. And the mast track flat plate designs require a certain amount of force on the screws to keep it from slipping.

If you have foils with these features being able to produce more torque easily is important.

That is why you often get a d handle torx tools with these foils.

Again my opinion is that the stainless l wrench is the simplest solution and they cost about the same as he plain steel d handle tools you buy from the foil companies.

Return to “Hydrofoil”