Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Moss
Gear: F-One
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Wind range F-One Breeze

Postby Agnar Jensen » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:29 am

Hi. I'm just starting to foil these days. My plan is to use my 9 and 12m Bandit in the learning phase, matching wind as I normally would on my twintip (from 7 to 12 ms). But I want to be able to foil in lighter winds. Would Breeze be a good option? What size would match which winds for a semi-skilled foiler (which I hope to be soon)?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wind range F-One Breeze

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:41 am

You can use your 9 m2 bandit down to 5 m/s.

From 4 to 5 m/s you need something bigger and lighter, 11 to 12 m2, I don't know the Breeze, if light.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Agnar Jensen (Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:29 pm)
Rating: 10%

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Re: Wind range F-One Breeze

Postby robclaisse » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:21 am

I ride Bandits and Breezes. When I was learning 10m was my biggest kite and that did me fine for a long time (back then I was riding Neo's). But kite size is a personal thing, as Peter said above you can use a 9m in very low winds if you like but it does depend on the foil you ride, the style of riding you like and also the location (now dense and consistent is the wind, for me 8 knots in Cape Town is very different to 8 knots at home in the UK) AND bodyweight! Plus how experienced you are at flying kites - I've been kiting for 20 years now so happy to throw a small kite around aggressively in the low wind if I need to generate power but if you've been kiting for only a few years you might find a slightly bigger kite in light winds could help - there really is no single rule that fit everyone.

So the questions that would help you decide if a bigger kite might help would be:
- How much do you weigh?
- How long have you been kiteboarding for?
- How experienced are you at kiting? (Subjective but how often to you ride on average each month, are you comfortable looping a kite?)
- What foil are you riding?
- How light a winds do you want to ride in?

I weigh 105kg and these days I like to ride quite powered up as I'm learning more advanced tricks. I ride a F-one Mirage 1000 wing, which isn't massive these days but a good compromise between lift, low stall speed and general riding speed. These days I ride 15m Breeze, 11m Bandit 2020, 8m and 6m Bandit S. I can use my 11 Bandit in 10 knots and go ride but it's hard to do much and I want more lift and power hence the 15m, if you were lighter then a 13m Breeze would be a good call as though the Bandits are really stable when its light the breeze is super stable due to the weight and general design.

Return to “Hydrofoil”