Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

extend the low end; single skin, cloud, foil kite?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: extend the low end; single skin, cloud, foil kite?

Postby slowboat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:26 pm

I love the P4 but would not try to drift launch it on a regular basis unless you are willing to accept a significant failure rate.

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:57 pm

The Peak sinking when you wrap the bar is probably it flying underwater. Pity they don't close the tip cells so it floats more. You could add little socks to them yourself. Or try not tensioning the lines when wrapping the bar, which would be hard.

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:42 pm

thanks for all the responses.

about my launches:
i am in the chesapeake bay, va. the launches are varied depending on wind direction and tide, mostly small amount of beach, with nearby oysters, docks, trees, marsh, etc. my tethers put the kite sometimes on land, sometimes in water. if i drift launch when light, it might take a while, but wind usually varies so it frequently works. for drift launch i have standing ability for the launch, and deep water nearby to ride. sometimes i fail, and go back in without launch. i am very used to swimming in, and assume this when going out.

i am hearing a lot of pro-peak4 advice.

if i can hot-launch the peak4, i could have different launch abilities.
i'm a newb, i can transition toeside/heelside on foil, i have LF rocket/thruster/impulse, because they are interchangeable and cheap (relatively!)

another random idea; i heard @jumptheshark talking about removing struts from old kites, and have also been considering this on a 2011 rrd 13.5 vision. (with his advice to try before i cut!)

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:08 pm

vakiter wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:42 pm
thanks for all the responses.

about my launches:
i am in the chesapeake bay, va. the launches are varied depending on wind direction and tide, mostly small amount of beach, with nearby oysters, docks, trees, marsh, etc. my tethers put the kite sometimes on land, sometimes in water. if i drift launch when light, it might take a while, but wind usually varies so it frequently works. for drift launch i have standing ability for the launch, and deep water nearby to ride. sometimes i fail, and go back in without launch. i am very used to swimming in, and assume this when going out.

i am hearing a lot of pro-peak4 advice.

if i can hot-launch the peak4, i could have different launch abilities.
i'm a newb, i can transition toeside/heelside on foil, i have LF rocket/thruster/impulse, because they are interchangeable and cheap (relatively!)

another random idea; i heard @jumptheshark talking about removing struts from old kites, and have also been considering this on a 2011 rrd 13.5 vision. (with his advice to try before i cut!)
You can definitely hot launch the Peak4 safely. I've been using the safe hot launch ability of the Peak4 plus its ability to stay in the air in gusty and light wind, to explore kite spots I wouldn't like to take an inflatable or twin skin foil kite.

It's not just the ability to hot launch the Peak4 which is helpful, but the ability to safely land the Peak4 in all kinds of conditions and locations which could damage other kites or lead to out of control situations.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:13 pm

kiteykitekite wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:57 pm
The Peak sinking when you wrap the bar is probably it flying underwater. Pity they don't close the tip cells so it floats more. You could add little socks to them yourself. Or try not tensioning the lines when wrapping the bar, which would be hard.
Regarding "socks" for the tips, I was thinking the same. Would be interesting to hear how well this works. Another idea would be lightweight foam instead of air. I think there was a video of someone doing this for an earlier model.

Anyone willing to get the scissors/sewing machine out?

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:16 pm

would ozone access and peak4 be similar in regard to launch flexibility and light wind potential?

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:34 pm

I ride the Chesapeake bay. Have yet to fly or see a Peak4. I learned to foil light wind with a big Cloud and now ride a light 11m race foil kite and my friend rides a 12m Pulsion.

Why tether launch in light wind? I ride alone all the time and hot launch in light wind, especially as wind on ground is usually shadowed or decoupled and there are tons of twigs and sticks to get caught if I try to reverse launch, etc.

Like you, it’s usually shallow enough near shore to mess around and figure it out. Buy something cheap and enjoy learning it. Chances are you’ll get the “other” kind later anyway to try.

Peak4 may be God’s gift to kiters but is kind of niche and would limit drift launch ability as Bay is too choppy I think but dunno. Maybe I’ll get one to try some day.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:33 pm

How come you can hotlaunch a Peak4 easy?

Havent flown one, so might be the reason...

Of course in light wind, every kite can be hot launched.

But normal foil kites or race kites, can not, IF they are inflated.
When not inflated, you can hot launch these in quite some wind, no problem at all, and no powerspike whatsoever, great.
But when inflated, you will get spanked seriously and dragged, if you try to hotlaunch.

And as a single skin kite is "instantly" inflated (dont need inflation), wouldnt it pull like crazy going up in the powerzone if some wind?
Or is the peak power of a Peak that much lower, so not a problem like on double skin foil kites?

Just wondering why it is possible without getting dragged like you will on LEIs or inflated foil kites :roll:

8) Peter

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift

Postby BigSky » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:38 pm

Regarding hot launch, the Peak 4 inflates instantly in light wind. You lay it out on the sand or rocks and its instantly ready. I hated trying to pre-inflate a Soul in light winds (no pre inflating a Peak 4). Peak 4 hot launches even in high winds (smaller kite for foiling) because it totally depowers when you push the bar out as it rises to the zenith. I can't explain it further except to say it really is amazing and makes it uniquely awesome.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:52 pm

Interesting :thumb:

It does not have the same power or peak power as double skin foil kites, but still more than a LEI.

But apart from that, much more depower/range, and by far the kite that can hang in the lowest wind :rollgrin:

Only thing that (still) stops me, is that most of you say the bigger sizes are not nearly as good as the smaller ones...

If so, it should be for waves instead, where they excel.

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”