Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

groove or ketos 118

Postby marekmk » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

groove or ketos 118.......has any one ridden both?

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Re: groove or ketos 118

Postby Huib » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:38 am

Which Groove? Skate or Wave. I had the Skate Carbon 120cm and now the Wave in combination with the 90cm mast / Wave XL and Kool.
The Groove Wave is much more fun if you like to carve.
If you order a board from Groove ask for a KF box for the connection with your mast. Much better then an adapter.
My Wave board is a full carbon. A litte more expensive but no paint on it and lighter
Attachments
Foto 24-10-2019 12 49 16.jpg
Last edited by Huib on Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:42 am

I havent...

Would just mention one has tracks and four screws, one has a KFBox and one screw.

You can use adapters from both types of masthead, would just mention this difference.

Oh, assume now seing Huibs post, that you got a Ketos foil, and looking for a board, and Groove can make it with a KFBox on request (I did not know).

Then you have all choices open :thumb:

Agree, one screw is a thing you can not live without, when getting used to it, if you ride often.

Just like single inflation on our 3 and 5 strut kites :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:06 pm

don't forget that the new groove 120cm 2020 is different than the earlier models, more aggressive nose rocker lifting nearer the nose, new outline shape,beveled rails, new construction giving a stiffer stronger board,
and no need for the full carbon version which is more expensive, a waste of cash for what?, the 120 standard carbon build 2020 weighs 2.89kg, I have 2 and they are exactly the same weight,.
You can specify any mast fitment, even dual fitments,
any colour of board or black with colour logos or flashes of colour, longer tracks , anything really, all at the same cost( not sure if dual tracks cost a little more.

Only around a week to build from order, my last one which came a few days ago with custom dayglo yellow with dayglo green logo top and bottom took 4 days from order to make, then 5 days to get to me by tracked delivery.that's maybe due to the covid 19 effect,
they even included a shoulder carry strap on the board bag which I requested. no extra charge.

but the ketos 118 is a fine looking board which I have not tried.
it's worth remembering you can have rails and a box fitting in between the rails, I have seen groove do a few of them, I dont know which box fitment I was looking at between the rails but they do them.
I was thinking of ordering one of mine with a dual box system for the havok mast and the rail type mast

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby marekmk » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:47 am

I,m blown away with my new ketos 118, I though it would be tricky to handle in low winds, its not!!!! its fantastic as I tend to feel what the foil is doing far more and in fact its easier to come onto the foil.........wish I had done this earlier!!

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:54 pm

Huib wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:38 am
Which Groove? Skate or Wave. I had the Skate Carbon 120cm and now the Wave in combination with the 90cm mast / Wave XL and Kool.
If you order a board from Groove ask for a KF box for the connection with your mast. Much better then an adapter.
My Wave board is a full carbon. A litte more expensive but no paint on it and lighter
I like that Wave. Does it have a concave deck? I wonder if Groove would be willing to make one in the XS size(100cm).

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:22 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:54 pm
Huib wrote:
I like that Wave. Does it have a concave deck? I wonder if Groove would be willing to make one in the XS size(100cm).
Just ask if he want to make. The Wave is 3cm bigger then the Skate 120cm but feels much smaller and much more agile.
When I had the Skate 120cm I was looking for a smaller board but now having the Wave, not anymore. This is small enough for me.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:37 am

Foil wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:06 pm

You can specify any mast fitment, even dual fitments,
any colour of board or black with colour logos or flashes of colour, longer tracks , anything really, all at the same cost( not sure if dual tracks cost a little more.
that is very good information, don't think it is mentionned anywhere on the website

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Huib wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:22 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:54 pm
Huib wrote:
Just ask if he want to make. The Wave is 3cm bigger then the Skate 120cm but feels much smaller and much more agile.
When I had the Skate 120cm I was looking for a smaller board but now having the Wave, not anymore. This is small enough for me.
I need the smaller size mostly for travel. You didn’t answer, does the deck have concave like the SS Dwarfcraft?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:25 pm

Isnt a concave deck uncomfortable?

On older waveboards, a few used it, but here you lift your feet more when jibing, as opposed to a foil where you often slide your feet, thus a flat deck works wonders IMO.

As discussed on another post regarding deck pads, too grippy is not good, and concave deck would be odd when you step on the rail, which you do often when switching feet "less perfect" (like I sometimes do indeed) ha haa :D

There is a huge difference on waveboards where you stand "off balance" sometimes, and a concave deck might "catch you", which is not possible on a foilboard when up, as you need to stand in line with the foil and wing so to speak, so can not be compared.

A domed deck works and is comfortable, but you can not use the full deck, so not that good either in my experience.

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”