Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Toby, no wingfoil forum?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Toby, no wingfoil forum?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:14 am

Sorry slowboat, but no, wingsurf is not only for those wanting to surf :rollgrin:

8) Peter

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:56 am

slowboat wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:46 pm
winging is not a wind sport,
:roll:
While I agree cool to see guys using wing thing to access waves, swell, still uses wind for power!
As mentioned is this not a kite forum, wing thing has no lines, not a kite.
R H

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:35 am

revhed wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:56 am
slowboat wrote:
winging is not a wind sport,
:roll:
While I agree cool to see guys using wing thing to access waves, swell, still uses wind for power!
As mentioned is this not a kite forum, wing thing has no lines, not a kite.
R H
a very small segment of what I wrote, taken out of context, don't you think? I am just trying to get kiters to take a fresh look at the wing and its true utility. Yes, it is a kiteforum and as I stated, if Toby just wants kiters, that is fine. But if he wants to expand his audience (with some overlap), winging (and foil surfing) is the new growth sport.

Thatspeck
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Style: Take the most circuitous route
Gear: Wipika marine wing

Postby Thatspeck » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:10 am

There is quite a bit of wing foiling discussion in english over on standupzone.com, seabreeze also has a fair bit but with a funny accent.
In fact it seems to be the main topic lately on both.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:08 am

slowboat wrote:
If "Kiteforum" wants more participants, adding a separate wing ding section will accomplish that by attracting people interested in winging......and they are not kite foilers. They are foil surfers. This may sound weird but winging is not a wind sport, it is a wave/swell sport. It is exploding in popularity among prone foil surfers who see an easier way to get to waves on windy days and SUP foil surfers who are tired of paddling into the wind.

If you leave winging in the hydrofoil section, a lot of the discussion with be comparisons to kiting. Which is totally boring now and unproductive. Give it its own section and try to get foil surfers to participate. Winging is at its infancy with so much development going on right now. The second generation wings are supposedly amazing improvements, for example. The wing specific boards are coming out and getting smaller. And of course, the surf foils are evolving. As the gear evolves, there is no doubt in my mind that anyone with any interest in foil surfing will be winging at some point. They just don't know it yet.

If you want to limit your participants to kiters, you are absolutely going to lose people who seek winging discussions elsewhere online.
Don't see the interest of having a separate wing section on this forum but completely agree that although this sport requires some wind, it's main attraction is in waves where it is the only wind-powered sport where you can completely shut the power and choose your line when surfing without the restriction of the sail or kite. Sure, there will be a merge from other sports like kitesurfers, windsurfers etc, but most of all it will be a merge of people wanting to ride waves.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Since I've started to wingsurf, I haven't been on a kite in months. If it's light winds with some wind swell then I'm sup foiling and as soon as it's too strong to paddle against then I'm wing'ing it in the waves. If I was in a place of just flat water then I'd probably be kiting still. It's just so simple tho to blow up the wing and go. No lines and bar to adjust, no forgetting to pack my harness, don't even have to deal with more than one board. It's going to be the future of wind sport for sure. When I get people that want to get into wind sports and they ask me to learn to kite or to sup foil and wing I tell them it's the same cost but you get no wind days and wind days with the wing and sup and you don't need the hours of lessons and worry of putting a kite in the trees or people. It's not going to replace jumping and wake style but for those that just want to ride waves and have spent years on a kite already, it's the next step. I find it safer than windsurfing in waves also, no boom to fall into and you're leashed to the board so no loosing that ether. No stress of relaunching the kite wing ether. I think in a few years the wing will feed the kite sport since people will be less afraid of the wind then and want to get big soft air on their boards.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby marekmk » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:22 am

please include wing foiling toby

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels
Wings: Cloud W1 3,4,5,6m, Duotone 7m
Boards: Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/140/110/130
Foils: AXIS 1150/1020/1010/820 Foil

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:27 am

I almost feel disappointed now when I cannot wing and am forced to kite (I don't get why I feel that way, but I acknowledge it).

I primarily wing on flat water and lake swell.

Winging is definitely not kiting.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:49 am

This is a hydrofoil forum that includes topics like kite foils, sup foils, wing foils, efoils, wave riding surfboard foils, and even foil surfing behind a boat. If Toby excluded these topics (by creating separate forums) it would be a mistake. I have seem other forum websites where there were too many subforums which resulted in too little forum activity and eventually no interest.

So Toby, as a foil kiteboarder and an enthusiastic wing foiler (I ride the Duotone 5m and 4m wings and Fanatic 96 litre board and 200cm wing) please continue with this popular topic on this forum. Almost every kiteboard foiler that I know has some interest in winging. It would not promote winging by excluding it here.

;-) CG
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
Toby (Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:25 am)
Rating: 8.33%

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:36 am

slingshotucf wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:41 pm
Since I've started to wingsurf, I haven't been on a kite in months. If it's light winds with some wind swell then I'm sup foiling and as soon as it's too strong to paddle against then I'm wing'ing it in the waves. If I was in a place of just flat water then I'd probably be kiting still. It's just so simple tho to blow up the wing and go. No lines and bar to adjust, no forgetting to pack my harness, don't even have to deal with more than one board. It's going to be the future of wind sport for sure. When I get people that want to get into wind sports and they ask me to learn to kite or to sup foil and wing I tell them it's the same cost but you get no wind days and wind days with the wing and sup and you don't need the hours of lessons and worry of putting a kite in the trees or people. It's not going to replace jumping and wake style but for those that just want to ride waves and have spent years on a kite already, it's the next step. I find it safer than windsurfing in waves also, no boom to fall into and you're leashed to the board so no loosing that ether. No stress of relaunching the kite wing ether. I think in a few years the wing will feed the kite sport since people will be less afraid of the wind then and want to get big soft air on their boards.
Although I don't SUP myself I completely agree especially if you live in a place with waves. Safer than windsurfing, only if you are not using a wing without a boom (most have handles ).

Return to “Hydrofoil”