A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

getting up on foil wing foiling

Postby slingshotucf » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:07 pm

I did this video to help with getting up on foil with the wing. I find it to be the only hard part of wing foiling till you learn the technique. I was in about 10-12 knots of wind that day 90 liter board @5'1", Axis 1020 foil on standard fuselage, 400 rear and 6 meter F1 wing. I was going to do a bunch more but the virus has shut down my travel so after the ban, I'll get more made. If you have a big stable board then you don't need to do the kneel start, just stand up, pull the wing to yourself and get going. I use a 5'8" 110 liter sup foil board if it's washing machine conditions or off shore. I recommend learning to ride left and right not on foil so you can learn to get back up wind and rescue yourself if the wind dies down.
These users thanked the author slingshotucf for the post (total 3):
irwe (Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:14 pm) • cornbread (Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:14 am) • bobski2 (Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:11 am)
Rating: 9.09%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: getting up on foil wing foiling

Postby cglazier » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 pm

Nice beginner video.
(and nice jibes and tacks for the more experienced)

:wink: CG

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:10 am

All great tips!
How much do you weigh?
Why do you prefer the "big" board in washing machine conditions or is this a tip for beginners?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:34 pm

you make it look easy,
I have watched so many getting so frustrated at trying to get just up on their feet, and even on their knees,
how long was the learning curve for you to get up and foiling smoothly.
and if you can gybe a foil board smoothly does that cross over very quickly to the wing foil?
I can see knee protection is a good idea from watching your video.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
bobski2 (Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:11 am)
Rating: 3.03%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:21 pm

I have learned along with several of my friends on my 96 liter board. We all got standing up and going forward on the first day, and for those who had enough wind.. even foiling. One young friend (who is an excellent windsurfer) was foiling through his jibes during his first session. If the conditions are good then learning is rapid. Here are some tips to compliment the video above:

- first fly the wing while standing on the beach for at least 15 minutes.. or more
- flat water (or at least not too much chop)
- steady medium wind (it's more difficult in very light wind)
- don't bother lying on the board, when you hop on go straight to your knees
- know where to put your feet when you stand (get advice in advance)

Have fun
;-) CG
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
bobski2 (Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:12 am)

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster

Postby slingshotucf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:47 pm

I'm 160 lbs. this is my wing specific board so it's only able to do knee starts unless you're in really flat conditions or weigh under 140 lbs. I highly recommend a board not over 6'6", the longer the board, the more counter weight of the nose will affect the foil, plus you'll need a longer mast to get the turns easier and to keep out of hitting the nose in ocean swell. My students range from riding back and forth not on foil in an hour (session) to staying up wind in both directions and doing jibes in their first day. I use a 6'4" board with no straps and the foil way forward int he tracks to teach with. In sup foiling the push of the wave is coming from behind and you need to counter balance that push by having the foil behind your rear foot or under it. In wing'ing the wing is pulling you so it's easier to put the foil more forward and let the wing pull you up onto foil and as the foil pitches, you put a foot forward to level out. So work on getting up with feet next to each other instead of surf stance. This will get you to go down wind more also. The smaller the board, the faster it'll want to turn up wind thus having the wing pull you off the board as it wants to go down wind to power up. If you start off by going down wind, you'll end up going up wind. Just like kiting.

The bigger board gives me more stability so I'm not knocked off so quickly in waves coming to me at my side and I can stand, pull the wing in and go. Especially helpful when a wave is about to crash on ya. All your kite foil skills will kick in once you're to your feet and on foil. I always ask my students if this was easier to learn than kite boarding, kite foiling, windsurfing and they always say yes. Equipment will make or break the learning curve. This is the first equipment specific sport I've done when gear can hold back the talents of the rider. I hope after the virus to make more videos, so anything you're trying to learn, let me know and I'll do my best to explain it. Once the quarantine is lifted, I'll be back to filming.

If you kite foil, on the next session, get out in some swell and let the kite go to 12, let go and pump that foil. Get used to the pump of the foil, it'll help a bunch for the wing'ing. if you're just pumping the wing or the foil, you're getting half the power and performance that you can get from pumping both. It's all a speed game, the difference of being on foil or not, is a mph. learn to ride the board back and forth and up wind not on foil. It's boring but you'll learn a lot on the how the wing works and it'll help get you back up wind when you need it.
These users thanked the author slingshotucf for the post:
bobski2 (Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:13 am)

cornbread
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: St Pete Beach
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: LEI, Foilkites, SB, FB, Wing

Postby cornbread » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:29 am

Hey Nick

Any recommendation for SUP/Wing board? I'm 155 lbs. Proficient at strapless foil. Using Armstrong foils now. I could use the 1200 or 1600 wing.

110 OR 125 L to start? I looKed at Naish, Fanatic, and, Kalama board, so far.

All the Best,
Cornel

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:28 am

cornbread wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:29 am
Hey Nick

Any recommendation for SUP/Wing board? I'm 155 lbs. Proficient at strapless foil. Using Armstrong foils now. I could use the 1200 or 1600 wing.

110 OR 125 L to start? I looKed at Naish, Fanatic, and, Kalama board, so far.

All the Best,
Cornel
110 puts you at wt + 40 L. That is good for learning and I don't think you need to go bigger. As far as foils, put your 1200 away for a while. Ideally, you would start with the Armie 2400 and 72 cm mast but the 1600 should be fine at your weight. These look good: https://www.fanatic.com/foiling/wing-foiling
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post (total 2):
cornbread (Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:15 am) • bobski2 (Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:19 am)
Rating: 6.06%

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster

Postby slingshotucf » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:34 pm

Like slowboat said, 110 liters is all you need. I like that 5'4" fanatic is going to put out. It's close to what I'm riding. The extra liters under you will not make much differencein the long run. you'll be happy to have it when the wind dies off so you can still get in and not be swimming with a wing and board. Naish has the hover 95 wing boards also and I think Elite in Saint Pete has them and for your weight it should work as a small sup foil board also.
These users thanked the author slingshotucf for the post:
cornbread (Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:15 am)

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby IWB2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:18 pm

I use the JP Australia 7' (115L) mainly with the Starboard foils (Ocean 2400, 2000 and Wave 1700). Was foiling on first attempt out. I wind foil , sup foil and kite foil as well so felt the transition was pretty straight forward with the wing foiling. I used the Starboard Ocean 2000 foil on my first go as this foil offers a lot of stability and makes foiling possible in lighter winds. I still use the JP Australia foil board 7' and in conditions from 12-40kts.

Return to “Hydrofoil”