Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: North / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Double Agent foil difference?

Postby m78 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi everyone,
I own a 2017 Cabrinha Double Agent and am still learning how to foil. looking more for stability than for speed therefore. As all latest foilwings are much bigger sized, I wonder if my 2017 foilwing might just be a pain in the arse for my learning...
Can anybody compare the new Cabrinha Hi:Rise Lift foilwing with the previous Cabrinha Double Agent foilwings from years 2017 / 2018? Is the new Lift worth the money for a upgrade? Or is the old Cab foilwing doing the job for a beginner as well?
Thanks!

wheat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas
Style: Foil
Gear: 5.5m Cloud, 8m SST, 12m Gong Strutless, 633 Moses, 91cm Mast

Re: Double Agent foil difference?

Postby wheat » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:29 am

I liked the 2017 Double Agent alot. It is a high area surf style foil. I am guessing 1000-1200 cm^2. I found it stable at slow speeds (~10-12mph, guess). I loved having good rocker in the nose of the board to keep from pitch-poling over the front. My order of progression would be: 1) apply lesson guide below 2) Purchase Rob's progression videos $31 3) Buy a short mast.

I have not ridden the newer Cabrinha foils, so can not directly answer your question.

Lesson plan:
https://www.ikointl.com/blog/teaching-r ... OIHNm0o

I am impressed by Rob Claisse's videos on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/robclaisse

His business is Progession kite coaching.
This is a $31 video series.
https://www.progression.me/player/colle ... collection

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Re: Double Agent foil difference?

Postby foilfun » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:50 pm

After many years of foiling and watching others learn to foil, the main thing I’ve discovered is that time on the water is the key to learning to foil. No matter the equipment or aptitude of the rider, everyone has to go through the same curve. Of course equipment and aptitude can speed up the progression, but I’ve watched people with minimal aptitude and cheap foils progress while others just won’t ride because they want perfect equipment and perfect conditions. Yesterday was a good example. A friend, who is not a great kiter, was foiling in difficult conditions and making more skilled kiters jealous because of how far he’s progressed. But they never foil! They own the equipment, but follow the “too” rule—it’s always too something: cold, hot, gusty, light, strong, good, etc. He, on the other hand, always foils. His goal is to foil, so he foils.

I’ve ridden the Cab and many other foils—big wings, small wings, long mast, short mast, long fuselage, short fuselage, and monofoils. Some variations will aid with the curve, but ride whatever foil and board you can find. Once you learn the basics, look to how others ride and decide who you want to ride like. Buy what they ride and practice.

Reading, watching, and talking about foiling is somewhat helpful, but riding and struggling is what it takes to become a foiler. Good luck!
These users thanked the author foilfun for the post (total 2):
Milko0k (Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:21 pm) • droffats (Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:12 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Hydrofoil”