A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lizards
Medium Poster
Local Beach: EDGARTOWN
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Trying to pick the right quiver for foiling

Postby lizards » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi beginner foiler here, I’ve gotten a few great sessions in with my 9m switchblade but it’s obviously not the right kite for this so I I’m trying to get 1 or 2 inflatable kites for foiling.

I weigh 65 kilos, riding the impulse foil, and my area gets a lot of sub 12 knot days in the summer. What inflatable kite size would be the best for me for the 8-11 knot range? Sorry for opening yet another thread on “the right kite for light wind foiling” but I’ve read though all the others and they always end up talking more about foil kites and I’m not ready to go there yet.

I assume that a drifter will be a little too heavy to relaunch sub 10kts (if I’m wrong please let me know) so I’m open to a single strut or strutless. I’ve read other people say they don’t ever need more than a 10m with a surf foil, but I assume they are doing looping starts and what not which I can’t do yet. Based on my limited experience and assumption I was thinking an 11m boxer would be the best kite for my weight and the range I’m looking for, but it’s not the cheapest kite.
The cheapest single strut is the solo but the closest size to what I’m looking for is the 12 and I feel like I could very likely become too quickly overpowered with that size. (However there are people in my area who make frequent use of 12 and 15m foil kites, but generally riding racier foils.)

Do the single strut kites drift as well as the dedicated surf kites? If so, I’m thinking I will get a larger (10,11, or 12) strutless or single strut, and a wave kite 2 or 3 meters smaller. Maybe you folks will tell me that a 10m drifter at my weight should get me going and relaunch fine sub 10kts.

Wish I had more experience to make an informed decision on my own but it will be hard to get that light wind experience with the 5 strut kites I currently own.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Trying to pick the right quiver for foiling

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:42 pm

Relaunch in really low winds, forget it...

You have to live with drifting/swimming ashore and relaunch here, and go out again.
So no, a 10 m2 Drifter will get you going just below 10 knots yes, but relaunch almost impossible - this is just the way it is with hydrofoiling :rollgrin:

Superlight foil kites rule in marginal winds, but assume this is not your liking as you dont ask about these?

A 9 m2 like your Switchblade is quite okay for most people in 10-12 knots, if average weight.

But as you are below average weight, it will be too heavy, and drop quite often, when sub 10 knots where you could ride with 65 kg.

So you need a onestrut or strutless LEI maybe 10 m2, to be able to ride in 8-9 knots.

And yes, most drift quite well.

You are spot on, get a 10 to 12 m2 strutless or onestrut kite, and a wave kite a tad smaller, that works great for both hydrofoiling in +5 knots and for waveriding on surfboards in light wind.

8) Peter

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:29 am

I also weigh 65kg and yes 10 to 12m single strut kite is the right choice down to 8kts. For less wind a foil kite will lower that limit to 5/6 kts.
What is an Impulse foil?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:46 am

Agreed

Single strut 10m for reliable fun in 10 knots. Can generally relaunch them in 10 knots too, but not when it lulls below that.

Below that your better off with a foil kite.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:49 am

A 10 m2 one strut works spot on for me in 8-10 knots even @78 kg instead of your 65.

Always individual of course, but if you get a really light LEI you will be fine.

Above 10 knots it is way too big IMO (boring at least), and I rig down when 10 to 12 knots.

Other average weights might find 10-12 knots the sweet spot for a 10 m2 LEI.

Racers here ride 18 or 21 m2 race foil kites in this, so huge differences depending on what you like :lol:

Light foil kite or light LEIs, both types work great from 7-8 knots.

8) Peter

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:52 am

As you are a beginner foiler, I wouldn't buy anything until you're not a beginner foiler. You'll be making a decision with no knowledge or experience to back it up.

Light wind kiting in general, and foiling in particular, is an acquired skill. Throwing a bigger kite at it will just have you swimming in with a bigger kite. BTW Learning to self rescue is an essential light wind foiling skill. It can be quite fun once you get the hang of it.

For your weight a 9m Switchblade will be perfect for almost all the learning you want to do. It should be perfectly adequate in 12-20 knots and doable down to 10-12 knots provided you have the skills to ride in those winds.

I don't see any need for buying "special" kites for foiling. I do fine on 3-strut surf kites.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:32 am

OZBungy:"I don't see any need for buying "special" kites for foiling. I do fine on 3-strut surf kites."
This is the point, you are on a 3 strut surf kite and lizards has a 9m 5 strut freeride kite.
I can totally understand that he is looking for something more foilspezific.
At our low wind lake me and my foil buddies gone through all different kite models to cope lulls and relaunch. There was a significant learning curve on those who found the easiest kite in these wind situations. More time on the foil, means less time swimming.
One thing that helped a lot was finding out which kite are fine for a reverse launch.The short stronger wind puffs make it quite impossible for a normal relaunch.
Not the total weight of the kite was the important factor, it was drift( no hindenburg) and (reverse) launch.
A very nice& easy kite with a huge range esp for our lighter friends with surffoils was the 10m Slingshot SST. Heavier than a single strut( and other 3 strut slim LE wave kites) but that is quite not noticeable. The bigger LE diameter makes a deeper profile, preventing overshooting the windwindow and his very quick reverse launch makes such kites much more user friendly for low wind (beginner) foiling.
Other totally different kite which works is the Flysufer Boost. Thin LE, 5 Strut mid to high AR but a spezial design from foilenthusiast Andi Hahnrieder. Bigger sizes with TE bridle. A Kite for jumping.
The Airush Ultra works also pretty well, reverse launch is better than the 2020 Naish Boxer(almost impossible) , but the Boxer flutters less, better performance and its normal relaunch is good.
Slingshot ghost is also super nice to fly and start, looks quite strange with his thick LE and his c shaped delta curve - but it works very good and stays long in the air.

Don`t know if the Drifter can reverse lauch.
Not too slim LE diameter, drift, reverse launch would count more then total wheight for me.
Hope it helps

Zurki
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: North/Duotone and Airush

Postby Zurki » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:09 am

Hey lizards, I've been in the same situation one year ago. I've learned foiling in low winds with my Rebel 12M and struggled a lot. A heavy 5-strut kite made for big-air is just not the right tool for this job. It pulls like a tractor and has limited depower when throwing out the bar. It's also very difficult to relaunch in low winds due its weight.
So I opted for a used set of Airush Ultras in 12 and 9 and am totally satisfied. These kites fly and relaunch with no wind, they stay at zenith like a hot air balloon while you waterstart, gybe or swap your feet which makes a beginners life a lot easier :D In my opinion these kites helped me a lot doing faster progress.
On the other side you must know that these kites as in general all one-strut kites are kind of a one-trick-pony. They work great for foiling in low winds but are not really suitable for anything else, especially not for twin tip riding.
I think other great one-strut kites are the Core Xlite, Duotone Mono, F-One Breeze, Naish Boxer, Ozone Alpha, RRD Emotion and Slingshot Ghost.
I would also look into some of the lighter 3-struts such as Cabrinha Contra, Duotone Juice and Ocean Rodeo Flite. This would you give some more flexibility in your quiver. Another very interesting option you should look at is the Kauper XT.
And don't forget that the choice of foil board and wing will also make a lot of difference but that's for another thread :wink:

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:59 am

Important for relaunching in light wind is getting the skills for it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:00 pm

While I agree the 9 m2 Switchblade is fine for the very first learning days yes, it won't take long till useless for your weight and foiling.

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”