Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Trying to pick the right quiver for foiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
mar menor
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: mar menor,Spain
Favorite Beaches: santa pola ,la llana,los narejos
Gear: PLKB Peter Lynn Synergies , PL Nova,Moses T38 and 633,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Ozone Alpha
Brand Affiliation: PLKB,moses,shinn ,Ozone

Re: Trying to pick the right quiver for foiling

Postby mar menor » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Have PM d you

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:06 am

I wont comment on the specific brands.

Just a general thing that in so many ways makes it less transparent, how to give advice on this one:

Regarding abuse on your first hydrofoil, it is solely depending on the individual, nothing else IMO.

It goes for all equipment in fact, also kites and lots of other gear.

Some riders can learn without getting a scratch on anything.

Others are hard on their gear, even when NOT riding.

As an example I have a friend who can sell his board used a lot (any kind, does not matter) two years later, and you can not find a spot, not even a fainted ring where there has been mounted something on the board - incredible.
Then I have another friend, he now and then scratches his board or worse, when shutting his car door and similar. All his gear are worn a lot, even when not ridden. But when he rides, it is also abused a lot more.
Both riding in the same area and same conditions and really good riders, just two different ways they "are", we could call them group 1 and 2.

The very same goes for hydrofoiling - some learn on high end gear and a long mast right away, no issues.
Others take the stepping stone way with a low cost alu foil for starting. A few even a shorter mast also.

As I see it, impossible to say in general what is the best for YOU, as if you are in group one, you can skip the first foil and go directly to a high end foil.
If in group two, it might make more sense to get a used low cost one, well in fact if you are deeply into this group, you might be better off buying this type all the time, as they will get thrashed sooner or later.

Highly individual how you both handle your gear off the water, but also, and more importantly, in the water - and conditions don't really dictate one or another, it is IMO and experience the very individual.

Nothing wrong with either type, just different.

Could be compared to when you have to paint something in the house.
Two different people can paint equally well and fast, but one will get stains all over his/her clothes, the other wont get one single drop :rollgrin:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
GregK (Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:12 am)
Rating: 8.33%

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: mar menor,Spain
Favorite Beaches: santa pola ,la llana,los narejos
Gear: PLKB Peter Lynn Synergies , PL Nova,Moses T38 and 633,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Ozone Alpha
Brand Affiliation: PLKB,moses,shinn ,Ozone

Postby mar menor » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:24 am

Modern design ,really light weight,great price

https://www.peterlynnkiteboarding.com/p ... nn-synergy

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:46 am

You say 8-11 knots. I think 8 knots is going to be tricky no matter what, while 11 knots should be very doable. I have settled on 3 strut surf kites because I like the way the fly more, and because I still use a surfboard occasionally. I also have a one strut Naish and a cloud kite, but they don’t see much use, even though I foil about 90% of the time. Both have some really nice attributes, but don’t have the same versatility as my 3 strut (pretty old best Cabo kites). The 3 strut kites might require one more knot of wind to relaunch, but handle better, and can be used with any board in any wind. Twin tip and kite loops- they are good enough, surfboard in waves-they are spot on, foil in flat water- they are great.

For me (70kg) a 10 m tube kite is about as big as I’m interested in. That gets me having fun in wind I could not have kited in five years ago, but I can’t really give you an exact number- light breeze, but not vanishingly light. When I show up at the beach and there isn’t quite enough wind, I might see someone slogging on a foil with a big foil kite (often swimming), and I’m happy to skip those days.

So my quiver is 6m, 8m 3-strut, 10m one strut and 12m zero strut. 10m sees very little use and 12m almost none.

Also, as far as drift is concerned. My one strut drifts worse than my 3 strut, but it is also a size larger, so maybe a wash. The clouds really are on another level with drift, there is no denying that. If you are concerned about drift and want tubes, get clouds instead of settling for one strut
Last edited by tmcfarla on Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richy-c
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:57 am

lizards wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 pm
Hi beginner foiler here, I’ve gotten a few great sessions in with my 9m switchblade but it’s obviously not the right kite for this so I I’m trying to get 1 or 2 inflatable kites for foiling.

I weigh 65 kilos, riding the impulse foil, and my area gets a lot of sub 12 knot days in the summer. What inflatable kite size would be the best for me for the 8-11 knot range? Sorry for opening yet another thread on “the right kite for light wind foiling” but I’ve read though all the others and they always end up talking more about foil kites and I’m not ready to go there yet.

I assume that a drifter will be a little too heavy to relaunch sub 10kts (if I’m wrong please let me know) so I’m open to a single strut or strutless. I’ve read other people say they don’t ever need more than a 10m with a surf foil, but I assume they are doing looping starts and what not which I can’t do yet. Based on my limited experience and assumption I was thinking an 11m boxer would be the best kite for my weight and the range I’m looking for, but it’s not the cheapest kite.
The cheapest single strut is the solo but the closest size to what I’m looking for is the 12 and I feel like I could very likely become too quickly overpowered with that size. (However there are people in my area who make frequent use of 12 and 15m foil kites, but generally riding racier foils.)

Do the single strut kites drift as well as the dedicated surf kites? If so, I’m thinking I will get a larger (10,11, or 12) strutless or single strut, and a wave kite 2 or 3 meters smaller. Maybe you folks will tell me that a 10m drifter at my weight should get me going and relaunch fine sub 10kts.

Wish I had more experience to make an informed decision on my own but it will be hard to get that light wind experience with the 5 strut kites I currently own.
Hi mate. Some guys on here are dealers and will recommend what they sell. Im an independent hobbyist kite foiler. Ive recently bought a Gong Unik 1 strut kite 9m. I would definitely buy another. I own an Ozone alpha which is great but double the price I was dubious as the gong kite was half price of the big brands but it flys fantastic for foil and wave use. Quality is great. I felt very comfortable on the kite from the first minute of using it. 👍

ice1969
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 180
Local Beach: New Jersey
Favorite Beaches: Anegada / Loblolly Bay, Sandy Spit / Jost Van Dyke
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Slingshot SX 143
Nobile XTR
Been thanked: 0

Postby ice1969 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:21 am

OzBungy wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:52 am
As you are a beginner foiler, I wouldn't buy anything until you're not a beginner foiler. You'll be making a decision with no knowledge or experience to back it up.
How do you become a not beginner without gear if lessons aren't always readily available to you?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:38 pm

ice1969 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:21 am
OzBungy wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:52 am
As you are a beginner foiler, I wouldn't buy anything until you're not a beginner foiler. You'll be making a decision with no knowledge or experience to back it up.
How do you become a not beginner without gear if lessons aren't always readily available to you?
Funny !!

Actually, as a beginner you should not be spending too much time deciding, you should be on the water! Just get a 1000-1200 cm2 foil, a 70 or 90 cm mast and a 135-150 cm board and go out now. Then after you master or progress to 90 cm mast and can fly, do flying footswitch and transitions, and ride strapless, you might want to look at selling and/ or getting another foil. Or just keep going on what you have. Just don't buy a foil from 2016 or older.

And stick with your existing kites and only foil in winds they will fly, don't try to go too low or high wind. After you are flying back n forth, and you feel the stoke you can consider getting a 3 to zero strut kite, or foil kite, that fits your most common winds and go from there. Then you might consider expanding your foil specific kite for lighter or stronger winds, your next most used kite. This worked for me and meant I could gradually sell off gear that I didn't want to use foiling and replace with more foil specific gear.

joekitetime
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown

Postby joekitetime » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:56 pm

I have (3) Naish trips, only need (1). Super cheap and easy to launch and fly single strut kites. I love them in light airs, but that was before 6 weeks ago starting winging and buying all that stuff, then buying a quiver of peak4s. Hit me up if you are interested. Even if you are not, this is what I liked about the single struts for light airs: super easy to self launch, very, very light, just hover in the air. Tons of power. I have a 8 / 10 and 12 but I found I only every used the 8m since it had plenty of power in dare I say 8 mph of wind. Relaunching worked fine when the wind picked up to say 12-15, but under 12 it was hit or miss. I always kite just upwind of the launch so dumping the kite is never that big of deal. Mind you I take those kites out in near glass conditions and no one else is out, except maybe one or two huge foil kites, so kiting in those conditions allows you to have the place to yourself.

Return to “Hydrofoil”