Downloops and roll tacks wear out lines

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Downloops and roll tacks wear out lines

Postby cglazier » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 pm

Any move that results in your lines twisted will cause abrasion on your back (steering) lines. I had just noticed excessive wear on my lines (that I have used well over a hundred sessions) and I ordered a new set of lines.. but as fate would have it a rear line broke later that day (while I was downlooping). And it broke right where the lines twist together.

So just a reminder that if you downloop every jibe as I do (or do roll tacks as I sometimes do), your lines get twisted and get a lot of extra wear where they twist together. This is usually very near the bar. Obviously you should unspin your bar to untwist them as soon as possible to avoid even more wear.

Anyway it's a good idea to inspect them.

[I'm not suggesting that you give up downlooping :wink: ]

:wink: CG

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: Downloops and roll tacks wear out lines

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:03 am

Good reminder. Thanks. I'll be inspecting my lines before my next session. :thumb:

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:29 am

I use race lines (thinner) on my fol kites and wear where the lines cross every time I tack/jibe is an issue. My first solution was to flip the lines (top to bottom) to make the set last longer but recently I just cut the worn area off and replace it (3m from the bar) with a spliced new peace. Now whenever their is wear I only need to replace those 3m lines.

kitelife
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Postby kitelife » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:37 am

cglazier wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 pm
Any move that results in your lines twisted will cause abrasion on your back (steering) lines. I had just noticed excessive wear on my lines (that I have used well over a hundred sessions) and I ordered a new set of lines.. but as fate would have it a rear line broke later that day (while I was downlooping). And it broke right where the lines twist together.

So just a reminder that if you downloop every jibe as I do (or do roll tacks as I sometimes do), your lines get twisted and get a lot of extra wear where they twist together. This is usually very near the bar. Obviously you should unspin your bar to untwist them as soon as possible to avoid even more wear.

Anyway it's a good idea to inspect them.

[I'm not suggesting that you give up downlooping :wink: ]

:wink: CG
What bar couldn’t handle your down loop abuse? You need a slingshot bar. Harness will break before the slingshot lines ever do. Still abusing a slingshot bar from 2013 with original lines.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:28 am

Racing: riding powered and tacking/gybing often on short lines is the worst for your lines out of all kiting disciplines.

I am going through multiple sets a year just to prevent them snapping while taking preventive measures like recoating them and rotating them 180deg.

Riding longer lines on smaller kites isn't nearly as abrasive for your lines as the lines cross way less aggressive.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:51 am

yes this is a problem that I have only noticed recently, just over 2 meters up from the bar, shocking abrasion on all four lines, but much worse on the thinner steering lines,(when the lines are bone dry and you close inspect them in strong sunlight against a section of lines from higher up it makes you go arghh)
replaced the full set the week before lockdown with a new set which should last the rest of this year,
but I will be making 3mtr lengths out of my old lines, which are like new apart from where the lines cross when the kite is looped, and i will only use the thicker 500kg centerlines to replace the abraded lower 2mtr parts of my 23mtr lines,
that will give me 5 or 6 spare replacement spinning lower sections, and lots of splicing practice.
but as insurance against disaster whilst away for long periods I bought yet another new set of lines to keep in the car.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
Oldman (Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:08 am

evan wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:28 am
Racing: riding powered and tacking/gybing often on short lines is the worst for your lines out of all kiting disciplines.

I am going through multiple sets a year just to prevent them snapping while taking preventive measures like recoating them and rotating them 180deg.

Riding longer lines on smaller kites isn't nearly as abrasive for your lines as the lines cross way less aggressive.

This is so true, I have never had any issues at all, but ride strapless with longer lines and very low powered kite sizes.

Seems to be an issue for race kiters or those riding shorter lines and loads of power yes, makes sense :naughty:

When we surf waves on waveboards (not foils) we also loop the kite around a lot sometimes, but no issues here either, as we are not powered that much going down the line, and the loop is usually to be able to ride DTL in low winds, otherwise not needed.

It is not used as much though, compared to some foilers I think, as many downloop in most of their jibes, and in all tacks the lines get crossed.

8) Peter

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:18 am

For my very thin lines, my 3-4 first meters are made of a thicker line to support this abrasion.
What i also do is twisting the bar before turning. And i recommend this for waterstarts (beginners or not) . That way is more precise at the end of the loop and less abrassion as the kite pulls harder when it crosses the window. While just before the loop it pulls almost nothing hence less abrasion. And then you have your mind free of thinking to untwist rapidly, specially in linght winds.

Sometimes i turn the bar during the loop in the jibe (snow kite usual practice to sequence several loops in a raw to climb a slope).

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:05 pm

I am not a hydrofoiler, but I do downloops on transitions with my twintip and surfboard. Prior to the downloop I orient the bar with the kite attachment points and to initiate the downloop I grab the lower part of the bar with the opposite hand and pull to initiate the downloop. The lines do not cross and when I finish the transition the bar is in the normal riding position, no need to spin the bar. Probably unorthodox/wierd, but that's the way I learned (by myself back in the early 2000's on C kites).

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:33 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:05 pm
.... I grab the lower part of the bar with the opposite hand and pull to initiate the downloop. The lines do not cross and when I finish the transition the bar is in the normal riding position, no need to spin the bar....
Very interesting. I'd like to see that move in action. :thumb:

I have tried a trick that requires that hand-crossover, and my brain and muscle memory haven't yet allowed me to do it. I'm so used to controlling the kite with left hand on left (or center) and right hand on right (or center) that I lose all perspective when I put my left hand on the right side of the bar and try to loop. It ain't pretty!! :(

Return to “Hydrofoil”