Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite size for newbie 90kg kitefoiler

Postby Breze » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:39 am

I have also 90 kg and under a 10qm foilkite ( is like a 12-14qm tube) the 9qm 2019/20 Boxer. With 24m lines 1200qcm foil i can go in 8/9 knots, fun starts above 9 knots. The Boxer is nice, big range, good freerider, drifts, fast and feelable on the bar. But reverse launch in light wind can`t be done! Normal start above 8 Kn is quite good.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:41 pm

devonmike wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:06 am
Hi there Foil, thanks for the tips. I did have an F-One 15m Breeze three years ago with the intention to get into foiling but found it to be gutless and flapped a lot. The new single strut kites have small battens to stop the trailing edge collapsing.
Can I ask what kite you use and what is you go to size.
it is amazing just how much your thinking changes the longer you have been kiting, or should I say the more miles and sessions you pack in.
what you need for the early days is not what you want in the second year, and that second year year kit has less appeal and is less suitable in your 3rd year.
early last year my kit changed from 3 strut wave kites, V4 Reos, to single strut Alpha V1 kites, very quickly the 12mtr became unwanted and I prefered the smaller 10mtr as my light wind skills were getting better all the time.

Dropped all my tube kites by February/March last year, and spent some months mastering the 15mtr and 13mtr Ozone Chrono v3 ultralights, quickly moving on to buying the smaller versions as my skill improved and as I lost the fear of using foil kites in higher winds.

Getting the hang of using small foils in very light winds was the key to me selling my 13 and 15mtr foils, as nearly everyday became a 9mtr foil kite day,
my 9mtr is only 7 months old, but used more than any previous kite.

my next move?
A few months back I got my hands on TomToms 4mtr V4 Peak at Flag beach, I may buy one of these for the silly strong wind days with cross on conditions, what an amazing kite that it, so much fun, ok its not great at boosting, but when the wind is strong and crazy gusty, its then that jumping is not on the menu anyways,
I think it's another great tool to have if only just for certain mad conditions, or to use in safer lagoon locations which luckily I have access to.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post (total 2):
wheat (Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:40 am) • devonmike (Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:38 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:06 pm

devonmike wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:14 am
Thanks Peter for your advice. I might go for the Naish Boxer 9m as my next kite.
I have a 9M Boxer great kite for foiling it works good for me from about 10 knots to 20 knots. I'm 80kg. I own several foils including the X-Breed Board 5`5 but I've been using it with other foils. It's a good board to learn on and great for traveling since it makes a nice surf too but it's kind of big when you progress with your foiling. If you want to push below 10 knots then a 12m single strut would be a good addition.
Last edited by Windigo1 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
devonmike (Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:40 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:46 pm

devonmike wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:11 am
Breze wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:09 am
Have a look here viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2405959 and there viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2406050

But to shorten it up, imo any 9qm 3 Strut wave or do it all kite will do the job .Also a good one strutter ,it`s your preverence. Look out for good ( reverse) relaunch. Play with line length
So, do you think my 2019 12m Moto is a good kite to learn on and once I get more experience may be a single strut 8 or 9m will be my main foil kite.
Yes. No need to buy another one for the time being. Once you get better, a single strut 9m would be my recommendation (if you are looking for one additional kite)..
These users thanked the author Qiter for the post:
devonmike (Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:18 pm)

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:40 am

I'm just under 90kg, I ride a 11m boxer and 9/6m slash (wave kites) foiling.

But I did same as you in the beginning- used my regular kites. 12m Moto 9m switchblade will serve you well for now for sure.

My memory is that you won't appreciate the difference at this point anyhow. It's all about water starts and not eating shit while on the foil right now. Once you get better, you'll see that power delivery is a bit more jerky, kite flies further out in the window (more pull) and the low wind flying characteristics are more sketchy at the margins with standard kites. If you stick to the 12kts+ days you'll be fine. <12kts and you'll appreciate a single strut more-they stay stable in the air a lot better and relaunch at lower wind speed. You're going to spend a lot of time flopping around trying to water start, if you're in very light winds, your misery will be compounded by struggling to keep your kite in the air.

Good luck! Don't kick the foil!
These users thanked the author Johnnyrotten204 for the post:
devonmike (Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:16 pm)

devonmike
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bantham
Favorite Beaches: Bantham
Style: TT and Surf
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby devonmike » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:58 am

Thanks everyone for your advice and your time.
I started kitesurfing in 2001 having windsurfed 10yrs prior to that. I am 66yrs old, consider myself still fit enough to transition to foiling. I thought I thought I would mention that as it may add more clarity to the questions I have asked.
I wish I was 20yrs younger as the sport has progressed so fast. I have been watching Sam Light foiling on his YouTube channel, he makes it look so easy. Something I want to aspire to...
I don’t want to be a coffin dodger on a foil or am I already one but in denial. Lol.
Thanks everyone for your posts, I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:58 pm

If op doesn’t mind... I have similar question but am 105kg 230lbs and looking to learn foil. I have a slingshot h2 foil to learn with. What size single strut would be good for 8-12kts or 10-15kts. I have 9 and 12 pivots so thinking I’d go with boxer, or would the 12pivot suffice . Thanks

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Pivots work fine for foiling (I've got pivots/boxer/slash) until you hit that point where the deep water relaunch is not consistent and the kite isn't stable in the air when you're floating in deep water as you reset for water start (which is where you'll be a lot when learning to foil). I think that point is around 12 kts for the pivots in my experience. Boxer is very stable in the air (down to 8kts maybe) even if you have to hot launch to get it up, highly recommended if you have the funds. But 12m pivot will be fine, you'll just have to accept that you can't get out in the lightest wind days. Or you can try, crash your kite and swim in with it haha.

I'm just under 90 kg, and biggest kite I ever use is 12m pivot or my 11m boxer. I tried out my 14m pivot once when it would barely fly- too much power for me even at the absolute bottom of it's range... I'd say 12 boxer for you, but someone exactly your weight might have better feedback.
These users thanked the author Johnnyrotten204 for the post:
Kiterisland (Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:42 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”