Local Beach: Bantham
Favorite Beaches: Bantham
Style: TT and Surf
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Moto - Is this a good first time foil kite

Postby devonmike » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:26 am

I have just purchased a Cabrinha Moto 12m as my first hydrofoil kite. I notice that there are very few posts about this kite even though Cabrinha market this kite as a Foiling kite. Have I bought the wrong kite?
Due to Covid-19, I have not been able to get on the water with my Cabrinha X-Breed which is my foil board.
I am 66 yrs old, consider myself to be fit for my age, weigh 90kgs and have 18 years kitesurfing experience and 3 yrs strapless.
Just wondering if I have the right set up? I have Cabrinha Switchblades 9m and 12m and thinking of selling my 12m for a single strut kite. Any advice what that kite should be and size for sailing in 12knt winds which is usually the average Summer conditions on the South Coast.

caduo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha Moto - Is this a good first time foil kite

Postby caduo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:50 am

moto is a very good kite in general and for foil,you can be sure about that

caduo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby caduo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:53 am

think that 12m is ok for around 12 knots,for less or more it also depends of the foil

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:56 pm

If you're going to foil, then you can sell that 12 switchblade. After you learn on that Moto you'll want a 9m single Strut. If you're happy with Moto, go for a 9m, and sell the 9m switchblade. Next step is a 7m . Final step is you will want to sell your 12m Moto and get a 12m foil kite like the soul, Hyperlink or kitech FRS. Don't do this all at once, take it step by step to learn and see if you get hooked. I'm 60 and 3 years ago started foiling. Now I sold all my Surfboards and TT and LEI kites and have 7-9-13 Hyperlinks, one foil and 2 different 110cm foil boards that are homemade.
My kite foil progression was after I spent 18 months learning to foil on north monos, I first got a 9m Hyperlink and ended up using it 80% of my sessions. Loved it, so got a 7m. Then later after trying a used Sonic 2 13m, I sold that and got a Hyperlink 13m. Now I'm all set up.

Return to “Hydrofoil”