Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

683 vs 695 confusion

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Wazza Foil
Medium Poster
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:15 am
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 14 times

683 vs 695 confusion

Postby Wazza Foil » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:04 am

Mixed comments on these two wings.
I have 683 and all good however if 695 is significantly better I would get one.
Anyone with an objective experienced opinion.
Thx

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2384
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana, SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, SST 5m, Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/105/111cm masts with 637+695/425 590/330 679/450 wingsets, Tim's 36" woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $480, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44cm like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530

Moses 590/647/330 $690, Moses 679/749/483 $890, 80cm alu mast $260
.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: 683 vs 695 confusion

Postby grigorib » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:28 pm

695 is a great lowend wing for kite fuselage. Compared to 683s it would stall at certain point but it delivers quite lowend speed. Also 695 leading edge is straight, so it wouldn’t shed seaweed as good as swept back 683s would and it’s important for OBX. 695 setup is lighter

Moses 683s/710/450 1005 sq.cm 4.1 lbs
Moses 695/647/425 770 sq.cm 2.97 lbs

Both are amazing wings, there’s no controversy I see.

joekitetime
Medium Poster
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 pm
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: 683 vs 695 confusion

Postby joekitetime » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Wazza Foil wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:04 am
Mixed comments on these two wings.
I have 683 and all good however if 695 is significantly better I would get one.
Anyone with an objective experienced opinion.
Thx
I've been thinking of these two wings a lot lately as well. For me the distinction isn't the wing so much but the other gear I own (or that one own's). I actually learned a lot from reading up on grigorib's comments.

I think the wings are "similar" (the 683 probably has a tad 10% better low-end and also seems to be a little faster from what I've experienced).

The big difference I think is that if you own the 590, the 695 is a perfect, epic wing to add as a lighter wind wing. To me those two are perfect, and easier to travel with.

If you own the 633, I'd get the 683 for a higher performing, higher wind wing.

These are both assuming you own either the kite or the surf fuselage, but not both. But if you own both, then you've got money to burn, so get both! If not, I'd get the wing that fits the fuselage you already own.

Owning both, I change all the time on which is my favorite and I could ride either one in the same conditions. But I find the 683 to be better if I want to ride fast. Otherwise, I find them fairly similar.

But the 683 was designed for the surf fuselage (which fits the 633), and the 695 for the kite fuselage (which fits the 590), and both wings do very well on those fuselages.

grandeand
Medium Poster
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:21 pm
Local Beach: Italy..Calabrone, fiumaretta, lo stagnone
Gear: Principiante
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: 683 vs 695 confusion

Postby grandeand » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:56 pm

:remybussi:
joekitetime wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:58 pm
Wazza Foil wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:04 am
Mixed comments on these two wings.
I have 683 and all good however if 695 is significantly better I would get one.
Anyone with an objective experienced opinion.
Thx
I've been thinking of these two wings a lot lately as well. For me the distinction isn't the wing so much but the other gear I own (or that one own's). I actually learned a lot from reading up on grigorib's comments.

I think the wings are "similar" (the 683 probably has a tad 10% better low-end and also seems to be a little faster from what I've experienced).

The big difference I think is that if you own the 590, the 695 is a perfect, epic wing to add as a lighter wind wing. To me those two are perfect, and easier to travel with.

If you own the 633, I'd get the 683 for a higher performing, higher wind wing.

These are both assuming you own either the kite or the surf fuselage, but not both. But if you own both, then you've got money to burn, so get both! If not, I'd get the wing that fits the fuselage you already own.

Owning both, I change all the time on which is my favorite and I could ride either one in the same conditions. But I find the 683 to be better if I want to ride fast. Otherwise, I find them fairly similar.

But the 683 was designed for the surf fuselage (which fits the 633), and the 695 for the kite fuselage (which fits the 590), and both wings do very well on those fuselages.
hello, I also have the 683 and I think it is a fantastic wing ... but compared to the 590 it has less top speed and less upwind angle .. do you confirm?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2384
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana, SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, SST 5m, Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/105/111cm masts with 637+695/425 590/330 679/450 wingsets, Tim's 36" woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $480, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44cm like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530

Moses 590/647/330 $690, Moses 679/749/483 $890, 80cm alu mast $260
.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: 683 vs 695 confusion

Postby grigorib » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:06 pm

683s is certainly slower on cruising speed and top speed compared to 590. Yet you still can go 25 MPH on “slow” wing and it feels pretty good.

I’d say the disadvantage of 683s is having to use surf fuselage - unnecessarily bulky and heavy. In 2020 terms the “surf” wings are 790/873/1010 - which are not very useful with a kite. Smaller wings should go onto kite fuselage which is slim, elegant and light.

I hope 2021 will bring a 679 mountable on kite fuselage. That’d be sweet. Or 695 with swept back leading edge to help riding in seaweed-infested waters

joekitetime
Medium Poster
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 pm
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: 683 vs 695 confusion

Postby joekitetime » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:46 pm

grandeand wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:56 pm

hello, I also have the 683 and I think it is a fantastic wing ... but compared to the 590 it has less top speed and less upwind angle .. do you confirm?
What Grigorib said. And, my experience is that that wings are quite a bit different. The 683 is the cousin to the 633 I'd say, a little faster. But the 590 (aside from its need to be on the kite fuse, not surf fuse) is way faster, way more playful. I like the bigger wings when the wind is lighter or fluky. I like to ride the 590 powered.

I really like both the wings, and yes, I confirm your observation...

User avatar
gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,
Location: Fuerteventura
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 112 times
Contact:

Re: 683 vs 695 confusion

Postby gmb13 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:01 pm

These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post (total 2):
grigorib (Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:08 am) • Oldman (Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:55 am)
Rating: 16.67%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2384
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana, SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, SST 5m, Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/105/111cm masts with 637+695/425 590/330 679/450 wingsets, Tim's 36" woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $480, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44cm like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530

Moses 590/647/330 $690, Moses 679/749/483 $890, 80cm alu mast $260
.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: 683 vs 695 confusion

Postby grigorib » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:01 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:01 pm
Gunnar, I believe 695 is supposed to be 770 sq.cm, not 650
Last edited by grigorib on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
gmb13 (Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:22 am)
Rating: 8.33%

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: 683 vs 695 confusion

Postby TomW » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:32 pm

grigorib wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:06 pm
683s is certainly slower on cruising speed and top speed compared to 590. Yet you still can go 25 MPH on “slow” wing and it feels pretty good.

I’d say the disadvantage of 683s is having to use surf fuselage - unnecessarily bulky and heavy. In 2020 terms the “surf” wings are 790/873/1010 - which are not very useful with a kite. Smaller wings should go onto kite fuselage which is slim, elegant and light.

I hope 2021 will bring a 679 mountable on kite fuselage. That’d be sweet. Or 695 with swept back leading edge to help riding in seaweed-infested waters
This is why I've given up on moses for now.
I'm using gong pro m for now which sheds sea grass better. Faster than 633. But its heavy. That's ok on my home spots, but I have a favorite travel destination that requires a 200m walk at low tide. It will be difficult with gong.
Waiting for Slingshot phantasm series, looking Ketos wave xl.

User avatar
gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,
Location: Fuerteventura
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 112 times
Contact:

Re: 683 vs 695 confusion

Postby gmb13 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:23 am

grigorib wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:01 pm
gmb13 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:01 pm
Gunnar, I believe 695 is supposed to be 770 sq.cm, not 650
Thanks for catching that.

--
Gunnar


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: francis luengo and 7 guests