TomW wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:25 pm
Everyone says this : " I want to only foil in light wind, and otherwise use my TT".
It rarely works out this way. Either the prospective wannabe foiler only tries to go out in light winds and gets frustrated due to the difficulty in those conditions and the inability to acquire the muscle memory, and gives up. Or they learn, sell the Tt and Surfboards and ends up foiling 100%.
There may be exceptions, but over time every one in my area has followed this path. I think 95% have given up all other forms of kiting, the other 5% give up.
Agree fully with the first statement here, it rarely works out this way.
Almost like those windsurfing slalom/waves only, saying "I want to kite, only in light wind when not sufficient to windsurf".
How many of these are still windsurfing now?
But we dont see anyone giving up on their other types of kitesurfing (except kitefoil racers, they almost always do, but not taken into account as a very different discipline).
Difference when learned to kitefoil is, the TT riders choose their TT when its good for this, say nuking winds and other TT riders out to play with.
Waveriders the same, they choose their surfboard when its good conditions, sideshore and good waves.
So when you learn to kitefoil, you remove all the "lousy" sessions from your kitedays, meaning sloppy waves onshore winds, or TT days hardly being able go hold ground.
Its a win win
Might be location specific, but around here in the central Denmark (and around Copenhagen too), kitefoiling does not remove your other boards, it simply increases the quality of the days on these
Except for racers, who give up surfboards...
For some reason I have never seen a TT rider around here, who has gone kiterace style???
But many TT riders are now freeride/freestyle kitefoiling also
If you want to go riding in light wind as you say, you need a lighter kite.
You could take your normal 10 m2 on long lines also (@95 kg), as this size is perfect for learning in a lot of wind, and CAN be used in 10-11 knots, when you are skilled.
We just know, that you will love it so much, you will get a lighter kite quite soon, maybe bigger too - but no need to get one now when learning, use what you got.
PS: You have written in the kitesurfing forum, thus not many answers.
There is a specific, very active, hydrofoil forum here
I guess Toby will move this thread sooner or later.