A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Comparison Peak 13m and 11m

Postby slowboat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:40 pm

I only read these topics now to see how tomtom manages to comment by not commenting. Great entertainment value

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:26 pm

:)

But honestly I start commenting then I realized "I just start commenting" and then i put it in quotes and write disclaimer :)
So please dont ask me comment or I WILL :))))))))
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
slowboat (Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:00 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:09 pm

Janus wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:20 pm
Michaelr123 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:49 pm
So let's say when its blowing less than 6kts, I'm going to go do something else. What would you recommend for for 7-10kts cruising? I was under the impression that an 11m (or maybe 13m) peak4 would be one of the best options. I too am kiting lakes with gusty, shifty winds, difficult launch spots, etc. so hang time through lulls is fairly important. at the same time, I would like the highest performance kite possible that will survive those conditions. is that a better way to phrase the question? I'm not trying to pick up a 18-21m foil kite.

I currently use an 11m boxer for lightwind conditions. Last weekend I was able to almost ride in 6-8kts with that setup. I wasn't confident enough to get very far from shore, and transitions had to be perfectly timed or else it was a flop. had to swim back with my 14m apollo as that was too difficult time the downloops for transitions. I was able to keep the boxer in the air almost the whole time, and I was able to reliably relaunch it when I could stand near shore again.

If I could switch to a peak4 in a 8 or 11m to get a little more security in these conditions, then I could actually get out and cruise on those glassy days from the boat or whatever. I would guess that's what most people are trying to accomplish with really lightwind foiling?
In steady 7-10kts, 72kg, 700-800cm2 foil, I use Soul 12m on shorter lines. a stock Soul 10m needs 8 kts.
But then you add the "lakes with gusty, shifty winds".. I still use the Soul 12m most (it floats better in the lulls then the 10m).. lulls below 6kts and then maxed out within an eyeblink.. 15+kts..swimming and waiting for a little more wind and you can get it up again.. it ain't always fun and can be really tricky..

Interested in which size Peak could do the trick better..
Hi Janus.

Before I suggest a kite I would suggest you try a larger surf foil of 900 sq cm or larger depending on your weight. A larger foil will get you going easier in gusty winds and give you more glide in the lulls. A surf foil of 1200 sq cm + will work at close to walking speed whereas your smaller foil would have dropped you back down on the water where the drag from your board will steal all your momentum. Apparent wind is your friend in lulls and if you can keep on the foil you'll often get through the lulls to the next gust.

As mentioned before, not knowing your weight makes it hard to be precise with a suggestion, but an 8m Peak4 would be a good place to start as it's guaranteed to get some use in your conditions even if you're in the water between gusts. You can easily keep a Peak4 in the air in 3 knot winds while waiting for the gust whereas any other kite, except a large and expensive twin skin foil kite, is likely to fall. If you're weight is around 100kg then an 11m or 13m Peak4 could be a good choice. If the wind is gusty it's far more manageable with a Peak4 kite within it's windrange.

Kitedougiefresh
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 5m
Peak 4 8m
Peak 4 13m
Slingshot Hoverglide w/Apollo 60 & Infinity 99cm wings & Alien Air

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:19 pm

I have owned both kites. For a big guy like me the 13 is great. I am 100KG. For a reg guy i think the 11 is great. The 13 has more low end, the same top end, moves no slower than the 11 and get me riding on a true 8 knots with a big front wing.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72
Local Beach: https://goo.gl/maps/bc4TAhGN26ewTLJW9
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Bluebay, La Tonnara & Balistra
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor '12, 10, 7 & 5m, Flite '12 15m. Flysurfer Soul 10m, 12m & 6m. Peak4 3m, 5m & 11m. North X-Ride 129x38, Naish Custom Wave Global 5.7, Nobile Skim, Ketos Pocket 118 & WaveXL. Dynabar. BGD Cure M.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Janus » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:17 pm

Thx drsurf, my weight was hidden in my typed text.. 8) 72kg.

ice
Rare Poster

Postby ice » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:11 am

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:19 pm
I have owned both kites. For a big guy like me the 13 is great. I am 100KG. For a reg guy i think the 11 is great.
mmm... so at 90kg I need a 12? 8)

Kitedougiefresh
Rare Poster
Peak 4 8m
Peak 4 13m

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:49 pm

ice wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:11 am
Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:19 pm
I have owned both kites. For a big guy like me the 13 is great. I am 100KG. For a reg guy i think the 11 is great.
mmm... so at 90kg I need a 12? 8)
If you are like me you are just going to get bigger so get the 13 :D

Kitedougiefresh
Rare Poster
Peak 4 8m
Peak 4 13m

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:55 pm

drsurf wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:09 pm
Janus wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:20 pm
Michaelr123 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:49 pm
So let's say when its blowing less than 6kts, I'm going to go do something else. What would you recommend for for 7-10kts cruising? I was under the impression that an 11m (or maybe 13m) peak4 would be one of the best options. I too am kiting lakes with gusty, shifty winds, difficult launch spots, etc. so hang time through lulls is fairly important. at the same time, I would like the highest performance kite possible that will survive those conditions. is that a better way to phrase the question? I'm not trying to pick up a 18-21m foil kite.

I currently use an 11m boxer for lightwind conditions. Last weekend I was able to almost ride in 6-8kts with that setup. I wasn't confident enough to get very far from shore, and transitions had to be perfectly timed or else it was a flop. had to swim back with my 14m apollo as that was too difficult time the downloops for transitions. I was able to keep the boxer in the air almost the whole time, and I was able to reliably relaunch it when I could stand near shore again.

If I could switch to a peak4 in a 8 or 11m to get a little more security in these conditions, then I could actually get out and cruise on those glassy days from the boat or whatever. I would guess that's what most people are trying to accomplish with really lightwind foiling?
In steady 7-10kts, 72kg, 700-800cm2 foil, I use Soul 12m on shorter lines. a stock Soul 10m needs 8 kts.
But then you add the "lakes with gusty, shifty winds".. I still use the Soul 12m most (it floats better in the lulls then the 10m).. lulls below 6kts and then maxed out within an eyeblink.. 15+kts..swimming and waiting for a little more wind and you can get it up again.. it ain't always fun and can be really tricky..

Interested in which size Peak could do the trick better..
Hi Janus.

Before I suggest a kite I would suggest you try a larger surf foil of 900 sq cm or larger depending on your weight. A larger foil will get you going easier in gusty winds and give you more glide in the lulls. A surf foil of 1200 sq cm + will work at close to walking speed whereas your smaller foil would have dropped you back down on the water where the drag from your board will steal all your momentum. Apparent wind is your friend in lulls and if you can keep on the foil you'll often get through the lulls to the next gust.

As mentioned before, not knowing your weight makes it hard to be precise with a suggestion, but an 8m Peak4 would be a good place to start as it's guaranteed to get some use in your conditions even if you're in the water between gusts. You can easily keep a Peak4 in the air in 3 knot winds while waiting for the gust whereas any other kite, except a large and expensive twin skin foil kite, is likely to fall. If you're weight is around 100kg then an 11m or 13m Peak4 could be a good choice. If the wind is gusty it's far more manageable with a Peak4 kite within it's windrange.
DrSurf is right on. I have a SS infinity wing which is huge and makes a huge difference in me riding or not. My other wing is a SS 633 clone and I would guess I would need at least 3-4 more knots to make that wing work over the Infinity 99 Wing which is 2371cm 2

Return to “Hydrofoil”