Foil Tech Talk: Stabilisers

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Re: Foil Tech Talk: Stabilisers

Postby gmb13 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:11 pm

OK. I will make a separate video to explain shimming in more detail, it seems that the sound was not good enough when I am explaining it. I will make sure to cover every different make of foil and mounting options so that everyone understands easier.

--
Gunnar

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitexpert » Sun May 03, 2020 7:27 pm

If stab is mounted on upper side of the fuse (like it apparently is with Moses) you must shim it from the back to get more downwards force. If stab is under the fuse, then you must shim it from the front to get same effect.

I've had front wing below the fuse and stab on top of it in my foils, then forces don't try to rip them off but to press them more firmly together.

Shimming shouldn't be that difficult to understand, it is just filling the gap between fuse and wing after AoA is changed.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:29 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:27 pm
If stab is mounted on upper side of the fuse (like it apparently is with Moses) you must shim it from the back to get more downwards force. If stab is under the fuse, then you must shim it from the front to get same effect.

I've had front wing below the fuse and stab on top of it in my foils, then forces don't try to rip them off but to press them more firmly together.

Shimming shouldn't be that difficult to understand, it is just filling the gap between fuse and wing after AoA is changed.
Moses foils are mounted on the underside. Like I already said. Hence shim under the front screw.

--
Gunar

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Sun May 03, 2020 9:20 pm

Ok. Unfortunately that wasn't the case with the foil in your video, so it was misleading.

I don't like how stab is in Moses. 1) it is structurally inferior 2)stab is more prone to damage in ground contacts 3)front wing flow may disturb it more because it is at same level

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:28 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:20 pm
Ok. Unfortunately that wasn't the case with the foil in your video, so it was misleading.

I don't like how stab is in Moses. 1) it is structurally inferior 2)stab is more prone to damage in ground contacts 3)front wing flow may disturb it more because it is at same level
Have you ridden one? It doesn't have turbulence problems in the stabs. And you might notice the best Race Foils all have stabs at the same level as the Wing.

--
Gunnat

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon May 04, 2020 8:18 am

Have always thought about in terms of delta "V".
Interesting to note that 0° will still have delta "V" due to profiles.
R H

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Mon May 04, 2020 8:31 am

I shimmed my 450 stab and the foil suddenly dived at speed, really weird I thought when it happened, and no weed in sight. It also rode horrendous in general.

I suspected I went too far but it’s now confirmed that I “over shimmed” it. I’ll try thinner shims. :thumb:

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Mon May 04, 2020 3:44 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:28 pm
kitexpert wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:20 pm

Have you ridden one? It doesn't have turbulence problems in the stabs. And you might notice the best Race Foils all have stabs at the same level as the Wing.

--
Gunnat
Ok, then it is apparently more theoretical drawback. I remember that was discussed some years ago if it is ok.

Not ridden Moses but I will soon. I have tested many others and of course my own foils.

Return to “Hydrofoil”