Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: None

Moses 873/325 review

Postby joekitetime » Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

The Moses 873 wing isn't considered a kite wing by many (ok, by all), but that still didn't deter me from using if for kiting since I'd already purchased it. I've done lots of different combo tests to try to make this wing work.

And, I think I finally got it.

I rode this wing strapless on a 2018 dwarf craft micro, positioned all the way forward (rear plate of Moses 91cm or any Moses mast plate 6-1/2" from the tail) on a standard surf fuselage w/the 325 stabiliser. What a trip! (if I ever learn how to post photos on this site I will)... (of significant note is how I started with the 483 stab, then 450, then went straight to the opposite end of the spectrum for the magic stab).

Like Kai Lenny says, the smaller the board the better. That is one prime reason I don't want to ride the big sup foil boards with this wing. I had experimented previously with the alien air by slingshot, thinking it would also serve as my prone foil board, but I disliked in comparison with the smaller board.

The ride on the board was sweet! First off, because the 325 stab is so small and flat, one has incredible "yaw" control, meaning you can turn (not roll) the board very, very quickly. And because the speeds are slow on the 873, you never get sliding out. Secondly, because of the width of the 873 you get really solid roll stability.

But what I find to be the most impressive about this setup is that you cannot (don't quote me, someone out there probably can!) you cannot stall this setup. Literally I ride foiling at a walking pace and carve all around on the swell, back and forth. The board is super loose w/the 325, and I find the roll to be stable. Pitch control is rock solid as well because of the monster wing. It shouldn't be necessarily, but it is.

The only downside is the tendency to get overpowered. That is something I'm still working on, as 5m is still my smallest kite.

The strapless water start is all about keeping the nose down because that bad boy wants to jump right out of the water when you dive the kite. Oddly, and something hilarious, is that when the board floats on its own it positions itself nose pointing straight up in the air with the wing like a tripod below! Very odd!

Going straight downwind works because of the slow speed of the wing you can't outrun or even hardly luff the kite.

To me, this setup is the superior version of winging and supping. You get a better ride while on foil (riding the same wing as the other sports) while simultaneously getting a better (because its smaller, ask Kai) board, holding the air rather than a paddle or wing.

My only change/experiment at this point is to shorten line length to see how that effects the ride.
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
a99 (Mon May 04, 2020 7:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Re: Moses 873/325 review

Postby a99 » Mon May 04, 2020 7:31 pm

Nice review. My question have you rode with kite 790 or 1100 wings? What can be differences? I rode that 1100 better in all aspects than 873, even on lowend, except waterstart. But of course it very expensive wing.

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 pm

a99 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:31 pm
Nice review. My question have you rode with kite 790 or 1100 wings? What can be differences? I rode that 1100 better in all aspects than 873, even on lowend, except waterstart. But of course it very expensive wing.
I do have the 790 and it is much tamer by comparison. I don't have the 1100. But I've heard great things about it, and my sense that it is better than the 873 although I haven't ridden...
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
a99 (Mon May 04, 2020 10:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:13 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 pm
a99 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:31 pm
I do have the 790 and it is much tamer by comparison. I don't have the 1100. But I've heard great things about it, and my sense that it is better than the 873 although I haven't ridden...
And that is stall (water touch down) speed of 790 comparing with 873? Much earlier stall than 873 or not very big difference? And with 873 possible to have scate on ground feeling and do agile s turns and carving? Or it has much longer turning radius and clear slower in turns?

By the way 1110 still possible to buy in Moses shop( just info as someone i remember wrote that 1110 is out of moses stories).

Return to “Hydrofoil”