Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best all round kite quiver for foil & freeride TT

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites - 9 +11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best all round kite quiver for foil & freeride TT

Postby Foil » Fri May 08, 2020 4:21 pm

Ozone Reo V4 (still available on close out deals)
I used these after a lot of trial and error and bad choices for dual disciplines of Foil and TTip, (must be great at boosting for Ttip and the Reo kites are)

As I moved away from the Ttip then I bought Ozone Alpha, great for the foil, (if fact superb) but so bad on a Ttip, don't make that mistake.

8 knts on a foil maybe a problem unless your a good foiler, and dropping a 3 strut Reo 12mtr in that little wind takes really good kite skills to relaunch reliably,

this is where the 12mtr Alpha is the king, the real deal for really light winds, but not for the Ttip.

So many guys when their skills are up there on the foil realise that foiling in really strong winds is just brilliant, and boosting is just insane.

However nearly 100% of TTip guys who take to foiling say just what you have- "foil for light wind Ttip for stronger stuff"
90% of them guys eat their words within 2 years, and sell everything apart from their beloved Foil kit.

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Fri May 08, 2020 4:29 pm

Nope, soon as it’s 18 knots or more I’m back out on the twin tip. Foiling is good, but rather been on my TT, but each to their own.

Simon

kiteandfly350
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Zekreet, Fuwarit
Favorite Beaches: Hayling, Mudeford, Le Morne
Style: Freeride/Foil
Gear: Shinn Foils
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiteandfly350 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:49 am

Thanks for that, seems like going for the pivot in the smaller sizes (9 & 7) would work well for higher wind foiling and some solid TT riding. Looking at the 12m though it comes down to the pros and cons of a boxer over a pivot... Boxer would get me going in much less wind and be more foil friendly but a 12m pivot would bridge the gap for TT riding until i'm in 9m winds. Boxer Vs Pivot for the light wind foiling, boxer looks like an obvious winner but whether its worth loosing a bit on the TT riding of the pivot!

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, LF, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sat May 09, 2020 11:02 am

I'd use single kite quiver like Soul 10m to cover all that range & boards mentioned and with my +18kg mass (my mass maybe 12m Soul) compared to yours. However at 8kn, hydrofoil and 92kg mass might require correct technique to get going so it is not instant stuff.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
kiteandfly350 (Sun May 10, 2020 11:09 am)
Rating: 8.33%

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat May 09, 2020 7:24 pm

8m enduro is my go to 80% of the time. 10-20 knots on the foil, 23-35 knots on the mutant.
It jumps ok, drifts ok and is ok on the foil.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
kiteandfly350 (Sun May 10, 2020 11:10 am)

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2016 North Mono 12m, 2017 Naish Dash 10 & 8, 2018 Naish Slash 6 & 9, Firewire Vader, 5'2, 2017 F-One Acid, 2017 Sroka Freeride Foil

Postby Strekke » Sat May 09, 2020 7:44 pm

kiteandfly350 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:49 am
Thanks for that, seems like going for the pivot in the smaller sizes (9 & 7) would work well for higher wind foiling and some solid TT riding. Looking at the 12m though it comes down to the pros and cons of a boxer over a pivot... Boxer would get me going in much less wind and be more foil friendly but a 12m pivot would bridge the gap for TT riding until i'm in 9m winds. Boxer Vs Pivot for the light wind foiling, boxer looks like an obvious winner but whether its worth loosing a bit on the TT riding of the pivot!
The question is how much fun are you going to have during a 12m TT session? You could do some old skool floaty jumps, but nothing spectacular. So if you're mostly just gonna cruise around and mow the lawn, might as well cruise around on foil. And for those occasional days that you do want to do some floaty jumps on a big kite in lower winds, I think the Boxer will be just fine. Then when it picks up to proper winds you can switch to the pivots and have a decently powered session with some actual jumps and loops on the TT. Use the gear that gets the most fun out of the conditions.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Sun May 10, 2020 7:02 am

I’m 94kg and foil from 11kts to around 22kts then switch to TT to mid Thirties.
One kite. Two line lengths
8m zeeko Notus Air.

Keep thinking about foiling below the 11-12 kts but here that means wind dropping to zero then a gust.
These users thanked the author 3InletsWindsports for the post:

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Sun May 10, 2020 7:13 am

I second to the suggestion of Boxer/Pivot (or Slash) quiver.
These users thanked the author RalfsB for the post:

kiteandfly350
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Zekreet, Fuwarit
Favorite Beaches: Hayling, Mudeford, Le Morne
Style: Freeride/Foil
Gear: Shinn Foils
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiteandfly350 » Sun May 10, 2020 2:35 pm

Strekke wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:44 pm
kiteandfly350 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:49 am
The question is how much fun are you going to have during a 12m TT session? You could do some old skool floaty jumps, but nothing spectacular. So if you're mostly just gonna cruise around and mow the lawn, might as well cruise around on foil. And for those occasional days that you do want to do some floaty jumps on a big kite in lower winds, I think the Boxer will be just fine. Then when it picks up to proper winds you can switch to the pivots and have a decently powered session with some actual jumps and loops on the TT. Use the gear that gets the most fun out of the conditions.
You've raised a good point there, thanks very much.

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Sun May 10, 2020 5:00 pm

Op you mention 3 or 4 kite quiver. I have 14m,9m pivots Ride primary tt and weight 98kg. I am getting into foiling for light wind only and considering getting a boxer. From my bit of research as asking around it seems like the 12m boxer is a great big guy light wind Hydrofoiling kite, so I think I’ll add one of those for foiling in 8-15kts and use the 9m pivot for 13-20kts. Having the 14m gives me the opportunity to still tt in 13kts+.

Watch this review...

He is 200lbs and says he easily is riding in 8kts but even in lulls down to 6kts. seems like a real stretch to me but even if he really ment 8-10kts that is still very good for us big guys.

Return to “Hydrofoil”