Rare Poster
Local Beach: IOP
Style: surf
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: none
Has thanked: 0

Re: Foil board: Fone Ts51 vs Fone pocket vs LF galaxy

Postby mmac » Wed May 13, 2020 1:25 am

I previously owned the Galaxy and now own the F-One Pocket 130. These boards are so different that they're not even in the same league. The F-One is hands down better in all areas. The F-One is a strong, durable and fairly light epoxy bamboo construction. The Galaxy is a cheaper stamped plastic twin tip type construction with a sharp seam around it. More importantly is the shape between the boards, the Galaxy is an odd shape for foiling with a narrow nose, wide mid section and mid tail. When touching down this shape accelerates on top of the water making learning transitions more difficult. The F-One on the other hand, is a spoon or teardrop shape with a wide nose and narrower tail. The F-One is the perfect shape for foiling and feels much more balanced on and off the foil. The F-One is such a better shape for foiling and with the great volume it could easily be used by a beginner with a bigger surf style wing.

Other differences, the F-One is easier and a pleasure to carry. The Galaxy has a sharp seam and with the wider mid section it is not as easy or comfortable to carry. The Galaxy is more dangerous and will cut you if the board hits you. The F-One has smooth rounded rails with no edges or seams to hurt you. The cheaper construction of the Galaxy can also delaminate (I know because mine did). The wider nose on the F-One is much more user friendly when touching down. The F-One is also easier and better for riding strapless. The Galaxy needs an additional plastic adapter plate between the board and foil, otherwise the board will crush when installing the foil (bad design). Yes, they'll both get you foiling but the F-One is a much better shape and better construction that will help you improve much faster. The F-One will also last much longer. Hopefully this will help someone considering these 2 boards.

Note: For 2020 F-One has 2 versions of the Pocket 130. One is a thinner, basic construction and the other is the more expensive and thicker, 21+ liter epoxy bamboo construction that I own.
These users thanked the author mmac for the post:
Neurovelo (Wed May 13, 2020 5:52 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed May 13, 2020 5:24 am

The thicker version of the 2020 F-One Pocket (110,120 or130cm) is now super light (2.5kg) carbon fiber.
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed May 13, 2020 6:59 am

That pretty much says it all.

Go with the thick F-One :thumb:

Unless price is an issue, then the Galaxy :wink:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:

Neurovelo
Rare Poster
Gear: Switchblade + spectrum 2018
Been thanked: 0

Postby Neurovelo » Wed May 13, 2020 5:54 pm

Man, you all are great. Thank you very much. I was struggling a lot and I didn’t find anything in any other forum. Thanks really for the answers. I think in Argentina we only have de 2019 pocket. I can wait a little bit till the 2020 to come along. Thanks very much. I will invest a little money and will buy that.

Neurovelo
Rare Poster

Postby Neurovelo » Mon May 18, 2020 8:31 pm

windmaker wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:24 am
The thicker version of the 2020 F-One Pocket (110,120 or130cm) is now super light (2.5kg) carbon fiber.
Did you try it? Does it change a lot? Don’t know how much weight is the pink version.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue May 19, 2020 5:11 am

Neurovelo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:31 pm
windmaker wrote:
Did you try it? Does it change a lot? Don’t know how much weight is the pink version.
Haven't tried the new 2020 carbon pocket but the 2019 bamboo pocket is pretty light. On such a small board I do not expect more than 3 or 400g difference which is still significant.

I also tried the 2019 pocket 130 TS (twin tip construction) which is slightly heavier than the bamboo version but was also excellent on the water (similar shape and outline) and much cheaper. It is still available in 2020 as the "normal" pocket 120/130 or 145.
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
Neurovelo (Tue May 19, 2020 1:05 pm)

Neurovelo
Rare Poster

Postby Neurovelo » Tue May 19, 2020 1:07 pm

windmaker wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:11 am
Neurovelo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:31 pm
windmaker wrote:
Haven't tried the new 2020 carbon pocket but the 2019 bamboo pocket is pretty light. On such a small board I do not expect more than 3 or 400g difference which is still significant.

I also tried the 2019 pocket 130 TS (twin tip construction) which is slightly heavier than the bamboo version but was also excellent on the water (similar shape and outline) and much cheaper. It is still available in 2020 as the "normal" pocket 120/130 or 145.

And what about the volume difference between the ts and the fat one?
I was also looking to the new scoop of north. 120cm but with good nose rocker. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Now a days here in Argentina all the importations are close because of covid so I can wait maybe some months before buying. Have just sold my mitu pro flex convertible board and the Money in my pocket burns lol.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Just to save any misunderstanding, as far as I am aware the new v3 Collection of F-one kite foilboards are the same design for the standard Pocket and the Carbon Pocket, the construction is the only difference (plus the pocket has a 145cm versions and the carbon pocket comes in a 110cm :-D). The v2 Pocket bamboo is no longer in the range.

The difference in weight between the Pocket and Pocket Carbon is about 600g for the 130cm. All the weights are on the site:
https://www.f-one.world/product/pocket/
https://www.f-one.world/product/pocket-carbon/

I ride the current 130cm Pocket bamboo and am waiting for my Pocket carbons to arrive but I did ride the standard pocket 130 TS from last year it is lower volume but a really nice similar feel and I'm pretty excited to get the new carbon versions!
These users thanked the author robclaisse for the post:
Neurovelo (Tue May 19, 2020 5:55 pm)

Neurovelo
Rare Poster

Postby Neurovelo » Tue May 19, 2020 6:00 pm

robclaisse wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm
Just to save any misunderstanding, as far as I am aware the new v3 Collection of F-one kite foilboards are the same design for the standard Pocket and the Carbon Pocket, the construction is the only difference (plus the pocket has a 145cm versions and the carbon pocket comes in a 110cm :-D). The v2 Pocket bamboo is no longer in the range.

The difference in weight between the Pocket and Pocket Carbon is about 600g for the 130cm. All the weights are on the site:
https://www.f-one.world/product/pocket/
https://www.f-one.world/product/pocket-carbon/

I ride the current 130cm Pocket bamboo and am waiting for my Pocket carbons to arrive but I did ride the standard pocket 130 TS from last year it is lower volume but a really nice similar feel and I'm pretty excited to get the new carbon versions!
Nice Robbie! Here in Argentina the boards are expensive and also the people that sale them are always 6 months late from the release.
Do you think that the carbon model is way better than the bamboo model? Is it more fragile? Or the same? (Dings/scratches/etc)
Apart from the weight reduction do you see any benefit between the carbon vs bamboo board?
It’s my first real foil board. Before I had an hybrid one.
Thanks.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Wed May 20, 2020 10:53 am

I've been riding the bamboo pocket the last 18 months and it's pretty strong for dings and scratches, I've not had any issues with that - the only time was after a flight when I had a couple of puncture wounds but I just stupidly hadn't put anything under the board in the board bag.

I haven't seen the new Carbon model yet but I think the advantages over the bamboo will be a bit stiffer (and for me the stiffer the better for any foilboard as it makes it way more responsible during tricks), lighter (by about 300-400g) which realistically is good for jumping or carrying it to the beach ;-) and should be stronger overall. I'm excited to see what they are like and will share more when I get one.

For now, if you can a Bamboo pocket then you won't regret it as they are a lovely board and I still love riding mine.
These users thanked the author robclaisse for the post:
Neurovelo (Wed May 20, 2020 11:48 am)

Return to “Hydrofoil”