Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Clear deck grips cost so much. Is it just plastic?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Clear deck grips cost so much. Is it just plastic?

Postby TomW » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:21 pm

My clear is not very clear. I found the right 3M tape based on the 300 SL adhesive and a carrier layer. Stuff is extremely expensive. I'd have to buy mega roll for 600€ to make it economical, and the stuff has 12 month shelf life..
Going back to cork.

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: FS Soul 2 8m + 10m, CAB Fusion DA foil, backyard built split-TTs, skimboards and foilboards

Postby BalsaMichel » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:27 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:21 pm
My clear is not very clear. I found the right 3M tape based on the 300 SL adhesive and a carrier layer. Stuff is extremely expensive. I'd have to buy mega roll for 600€ to make it economical, and the stuff has 12 month shelf life..
Going back to cork.
I was not aware of those short shelf life. I´ve bought my 467MP approx. 6 years ago, I don´t have the impression it´s worse now.
...At least you have a 3D printer now :D

To be honest: I don´t really like the "plastic look" so much, at least of the white ones. The anti-slip effect comes more from the structure than from the material, so I´m thinking now more about integrating this into the board surface itself, like it´s already been done with laminated salt grains or by printing a micro-structured rockertable for upside-down lamination.

Micha

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:21 pm

BalsaMichel wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:27 pm
TomW wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:21 pm
Going back to cork.
I was not aware of those short shelf life. I´ve bought my 467MP approx. 6 years ago, I don´t have the impression it´s worse now.
...At least you have a 3D printer now :D

To be honest: I don´t really like the "plastic look" so much, at least of the white ones. The anti-slip effect comes more from the structure than from the material, so I´m thinking now more about integrating this into the board surface itself, like it´s already been done with laminated salt grains or by printing a micro-structured rockertable for upside-down lamination.

Micha
The easiest, cheapest, clearest, and lightest grip is to mask the board, brush on coating epoxy and wet out some peelply. Using vacuum , perf film and absorber with low pressure gurantees perfect finish. Then tear off the peelply. You boards are beautiful and with your skills its a no- brainer.

Im also suprised the material is so slippery.

I needed the printer anyway to make fixtures for cnc, when i get the time to finalise it. Too many projects and a day job.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
BalsaMichel (Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”