Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Do you step off gracefully?

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue May 19, 2020 2:51 am

I'll usually take it pretty shallow and I'm pretty good at just hopping off and catching the board as it does its little pop up. Gotta be riding pretty slow though and know how your board reacts without a rider(I guess I've fallen off enough that I usually know where the board is going to go). I usually wear booties in unfamiliar spots so I'm not worried about hurting myself landing and a little bar in helps smooth out the touchdown. I can do this pretty successfully more than not but if I mess it up, it's no big deal, the board just runs away a little.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 19, 2020 5:55 am

Booties or not, always a risk you get injured when you hop off in low water not knowing how deep it is exactly, or if flat or not on the bottom :(

Some has had injuries this way...

Almost like walking fast down a stair blindfolded or not looking down, and then there are suddenly no more steps :evil:
Just worse, as it might not be flat ground.

8) Peter

drone
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Latvia's coast Beaches
Style: Freeride, foil, snow, ice.
Gear: FS, SS, LF, C, N, B.

Postby drone » Tue May 19, 2020 6:14 am

I ride shallow as i can than jump off the board and land on the butt in shallow water, when it's not enough wind to land slowly on feet.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue May 19, 2020 6:53 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:55 am
Booties or not, always a risk you get injured when you hop off in low water not knowing how deep it is exactly, or if flat or not on the bottom :(

Some has had injuries this way...

Almost like walking fast down a stair blindfolded or not looking down, and then there are suddenly no more steps :evil:
Just worse, as it might not be flat ground.

8) Peter
Eh our sport is a risk to get injured, I’m fine with it. Safe the safety speech for someone else.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue May 19, 2020 7:08 am

You don't have to crash. You can lean right over and carve the foil slower and slower until you come to a stop. You can settle on your butt in the water, or lower a leg and stand.

If you get it right it's fairly graceful. If you get it wrong then you're no worse off than the usual butt splash.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Tue May 19, 2020 8:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 19, 2020 7:47 am

OzBungy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:08 am
You don't have to crash. You can lean right over and carve the foil slower and slower until you come to a stop. You can settle on your butt in the water, or lower a leg and stand.

If you get it right it's fairly graceful. If you get it wrong then you're no worse off than the usual butt splash.

No, maybe with a kitefoil where you can use your kite a bit, although using say a 5 m2 there is not much lift.
But not possible in my experience, with a wing.

Having around a meters span, some even more, it could touch the bottom and one side of a wing on the bottom, no matter if a kitefoil or wingfoil, is by far the worst you can EVER do to any foil, destructive :(

And you have no lift from the wing, so going gracefully butt in the water is not an option I think :roll:

I also dont want to carve up too much on my kitefoil, as if I slow down too much and stall, it will be hard on the foil.
Besides the risk of touching with one side of the wing only, so either straight out, or whip it fully on its side, well for me at least, I take care of my gear in this respect...

If you knew EXACTLY how deep it was, say 110 cm, you could stop on a wingfoil letting the board touch down on the water, and go down on your knees simply doing a reverse start.
In reality I dont do this (and would never know exactly how deep it is), but ride foiling high till low, and fall on my back very un-elegant :naughty:

But cant help it, way easier than swimming the last part, and more fun if a bit of waves, although a tad harder on your gear, but as long as you dont tilt the board it is no biggie :rollgrin:

Jumping off to leeward of any foil, kite or wing, like JakeFarley on the surfboard, I try to avoid, because if windy or a wave to windward, the foil might bash into you from wind or wave, and even worse, it is out of your sight so you have no idea what it is doing or heading - extremely risky (apart from the risk of foot injury when landing in unknown depth)

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 19, 2020 7:51 am

PS: There are no safety speeches here...

Those who had foot injuries this way, could not surf for weeks !!! :cry:

And Dave have had issues for half a year now, because of a broken foot :(

So it is all about more time on the water, and got nothing to do with safety :thumb:

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue May 19, 2020 8:11 am

Nice topic ;
I slightly injured that way indeed... I was too optimistic, long shallow beach, went really close to shore (say 50-60 cm, foil very high), then I jumped from the board, and fall from too high and with no damping by the water little depth ... so the shallower , the more risky ! so keep a good 1 meter at least :-)

What usually do is either falling on my back or sometimes getting out of straps a bit sooner, then bend my legs to lower my body, then jump as low as possible while just put my front hand on the board in front of my front feet . This is a bit more gracefull, this provides a little support to your body to damp your fall, the foil keeps high not to touch the ground, and enough time for you to grab it after having landed your feet on the ground ; not as gracecful as a grabed jump but intermediate grace/risk :-)

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Tue May 19, 2020 9:25 am

No stepping off a wing board gracefully here. Still working on just riding gracefully :lol:

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue May 19, 2020 11:45 am

I just go for the safe stops in deep water from now on, just dropping slowly backwards in deep water only. Don't want my foil damaged, don't care for my ego.. happily married, so who cares what I look like.. :roll:
last sunday foiling high up on shallow water, dropping slowly backward with enough kite(foil) power was good but the next stop I was comming in slowly in the shallow switch stanced.. dropped faceplant style windward site.. :lol: couldnt switch my feet cause i was strapped.. I prefere the backside drop.. 8)

Return to “Hydrofoil”