Do you step off gracefully?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Do you step off gracefully?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 18, 2020 10:01 pm

Meaning, how do you go ashore?

Wingfoiling or kitefoiling, almost same thing it seems.

I always ride foiling, so far in, on both foil types, that it is only one or two feet deep, and then I fall back on my back in the water.

NOT very gracefully, I know, but fast easy and safe.
Kite racers do the same, except they lift the foil all the way up above the water, having straps, while falling on their back in lower water.

If you jump off your board to lee or windward, and land on your feet, even on a sandy bottom when you dont know how deep it is exactly, the risk of foot injury is extreme, some of my friends has really had some issues...
Even worse if small rocks and shells, you will cut your bare feet :roll:

Thus falling back on you back is safe, and the kitefoil can be tilted on its side so it does not scrape on anything.

A bit more difficult wingfoiling, because of the high span, tilting it on its side is not as good as just going slow and let it stop straight on the sandbank, after you have jumped off.
Here I also fall on my back, and this is even more ridiculous, as the wing does not lift and is taken down over me ha haa, must look stupid, but safe :naughty:

Have sometimes headed upwind a tad, fallen deliberately upwind, and had the wing fall to the side of me, a bit more elegant.

Of course one could just stop out when deep, and jump in the water, and get pulled to shore from here with the kite, easy.
But no way I want to stop further out than necessary...
Not possible with a wingfoil, as you can not drag to shore, but have to sit on the board, or swim besides it, to low water :roll:

A boring topic maybe, just curious, sitting here waiting for something, but have honestly thought about how you guys/girls do it?

Going all the way towards shore, jumping high and holding the board under your arm, and landing gracefully on the beach, is of course top - but hardly possible as too low that close to shore in most spots, and can be risky, only advantage is you can see the ground, so no risk of foot injury :thumb:

This does only apply for kitefoil though, not wingfoil.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
andrzej351 (Mon May 18, 2020 10:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Re: Do you step off gracefully?

Postby flying grandpa » Mon May 18, 2020 10:29 pm

With me is exactly the same, Peter.
Safety first. :thumb:

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Mon May 18, 2020 10:53 pm

naw carbon is too expensive to be a trickster.

I judge the depth and bail or stall the foil and walk off then roll the board over and walk it in looks graceful enough and doesnt risk breaking anything. Sometimes when water depths drop over known hidden secrets aka boulders I'll high mast it and bail to get that little bit closer to the exit point.

I once tried to be a trickster and high mast the foil and grab the board on my plunge into the water and got a serious gash on my palm. Missed the board and got a samurai sword slice instead.

I like the safety idea rather then the stylish dismount points keeps me in the game longer.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon May 18, 2020 11:04 pm

Good topic. I confess that I'm still trying to sort all of this out in my own riding.

When I ride to the shallows and hop off the board, I'm always worried about where the foil will go. I feel like there is a risk not only of my feet landing on a sharp rock or shell, but also of the foil rearing its ugly head and biting me.

Then there are the many times I've tried to ride to the shallows and unexpectedly hit a sandbar, only to face-plant in front of cheering onlookers. Definitely NOT a stylish landing. :cry:

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Mon May 18, 2020 11:46 pm

I usually jump off onto my feet just before the foil hits bottom leaving the board foil down. It had never occurred to me that I might hurt my feet as I wear boots because of the shells. There is the odd rock so from now on I will use your method Peter. Thanks for starting the topic.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Mon May 18, 2020 11:54 pm

For my surfboard I come in and send the kite overhead and dismount on the lee side using the lift of the kite to keep me from landing hard. Not sure if you have enough lift with a kite for foiling to do that.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue May 19, 2020 12:35 am

Almost all rocky exits. Stop and plop with plenty of depth.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:47 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:01 pm
If you jump off your board to lee or windward, and land on your feet, even on a sandy bottom when you dont know how deep it is exactly, the risk of foot injury is extreme, some of my friends has really had some issues...
I broke my leg jumping off my SUP when I thought it was deep water back in October and still working back from that injury :( I'm definitely more careful coming into the beach on my foil now!

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Tue May 19, 2020 1:52 am

Just ride the foil right into the ground, boost off, and land on the beach. Every now and then it’ll actually work.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Tue May 19, 2020 2:32 am

Check 20-30 seconds into this clip. Oyvind the legend.

Return to “Hydrofoil”