Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

How to foil *with* footstraps?

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 pm

I took my footstraps off shortly after learning to ride on foil and have had them off ever since. This means I’ve learned all my maneuvers strapless.

This weekend, I put them back on to try something different, and it’s hard! Switching feet with straps seems much harder than without. I keep stubbing my toe on my front strap or tripping over my back strap.

I have a three strap setup, because I wanted to practice race-style tracks and gybes.

Anyone got any good tips for getting your feet in and out of the straps without missing them or tripping over them? Also, how tight do you keep your straps? Mine are pretty loose right now to give me more space to fit my foot in.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How to foil *with* footstraps?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 25, 2020 5:57 pm

Do exactly like on waveboards.

Rear strap so rear, that you stand balanced when foot in front of the strap.

And slide your front foot a tad out of the strap first, then it is easy and loads of freedom :thumb:

Actually easier to switch feet then.

Very rare I use straps, but on occasion or if trying someone's board.

8) Peter

noellco
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaibo lake, Venezuela.
Fisherman huts, Aruba.
Favorite Beaches: ADICORA, Venezuela - WIND PARADISE
Style: racing
Gear: Enata foil, R1V2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby noellco » Tue May 26, 2020 12:46 am

Leave them loose until you don't crash your transitions anymore, I learned with straps (race oriented) and twisted my ankle a couple times, nothing too bad tho.. yet better to be safe than sorry when foiling.

When learning I would always get my rear foot out and just in front of the strap. I would also with the help of my toes push my front foot out of the strap a tiny bit and once feeling ready, go for the transition. Keeping the kite high and lifting when going in and out from the back strap is way easier than doing it with the kite low and powered.

After a while you will nail them from strap to strap. I think it's mostly about getting used to the travel your feet needs to complete in order to go straight into the strap again.

Hope this helps,

Noel.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue May 26, 2020 7:35 am

just to add to strap use and how to avoid being trapped in them when crashing out.
I found that many straps in combination with some types of deck pad will hold on tight to your feet when you crash, this is not safe at all.

I have found that the straps that have lots of thickness and require you to push your feet in to get comfy are the ones I have to avoid,
these type (like the Moses straps for example) can, and do sometimes hold on to your feet when you fall, leaving them loose works better but then if your boosting this is no good as feet then can then fall free from straps just as you take off(extremely scary)

I now make a point of never using them type of straps after a few scary moments of trapped feet and flying free with just my front foot trapped in the strap whilst boosting with my back foot flapping around in the air looking for the back strap.
Try straps like the updated "soft" black Groove straps, they fit most boards and are used by many as the answer to easy feet removal even when rammed in tight,
just a twist left or right with your foot lets you feet slide free, and no wiggling in to get tight and secure, its just not needed to feel secure, the edges of the straps feel more elastic and offer the right amount of slide to feet which are booted or not,
some riders on race boards who use these straps advise you to look at the deck pads as well, and if these are the grippy diamond pattern type with raised edges, smooth these edges flat with grit paper wrapped around a wood block to get the right amount of foot slide in and out of the strap.

Some call these type of straps, race straps, they do not absorb water like the softer more common type with the wrap over adjuster straps and lots of soft padding.
they need the best straps on the market, as no one needs the perfect type of strap more than those guys do, constantly switching feet in double fast time, and very fast high speed wipe outs with long boards with high swing forces.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
joekitetime (Tue May 26, 2020 3:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu May 28, 2020 4:03 am

I almost always use three footstraps. Only in my very early days did I ever have any situations where I felt my foot might get stuck. Simply use loose footstraps that you can easily come out of.

I do often ride with my back foot in front of my back footstrap but I always have my front foot in a footstrap.

Here's some things you can do better with footstraps:
- jumps, backrolls etc
- tacks are easier
- 360s are easier
- going really fast

I do appreciate the freedom that strapless provides and I occasionally ride that way, it's just personal preference.

:wink: CG
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Fri May 29, 2020 4:52 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 28, 2020 12:47 pm

Very true Chris :thumb:

I think those riding waves a lot, or simply enjoying the ride and freedom, are mostly strapless.

Those who like to jump or go fast, straps.

And then many like both styles, or all styles, and personal if they change strapless/straps, or choose one or another no matter for which style.

Sorry, a bit off topic...

8) Peter

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri May 29, 2020 5:00 am

Foot switch is harder indeed. What I do is taking the rear foot out of the rear strap before foot switch.
Then foot change without rear strap engaged ..then to put the new rear foot in the rear strap again, I send the kite rapidly to the zenith like for a small jump. Sheet-in a bit, then main ou your weight is lifted up and you can ride on front foot only for longuer time, and have plenty of time to find the entry of the strap with your foot.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun May 31, 2020 3:28 pm

I might try and get some “race-style” straps but I think what I really need is just to spend more time practicing if I want to have smooth foot switches in straps.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:04 am

After two days I'm already much better at this. Just need to get used to it. Putting my back foot in thew strap with my left foot is the worst, though.

Return to “Hydrofoil”