Armstrong Foil is junk

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
patrelsa
Rare Poster
Gear: kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Armstrong Foil is junk

Postby patrelsa » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:35 pm

And I surely didnt do any deliberate damage to a $2700 foil to try and get a warranty😂😃😄😅

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:07 pm

I actually hate posting here because I think it best if the thread went away in case someone just saw the title and came to a false conclusion. However, I just have to note that the OP broke 2 LIft 200's. Lift did have some QA problems in the past, but their 200 wings are more recently produced. I have a Lift 170 on which I have over 500 sessions and it only has some superficial scratches.

PrfctChaos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:17 am

patrelsa wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:35 pm
And I surely didnt do any deliberate damage to a $2700 foil to try and get a warranty😂😃😄😅
Mate, just pour some epoxy into the wing cavity and permanently connect the wing and fusilage. She'll be a'right. Send it my way if you dont like the setup anymore 😂.

Armie Armstrong
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 88 kg
Local Beach: Orewa
Favorite Beaches: Raglan
Taranaki
Style: for fun
Gear: Armstrong
Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Armstrong

Postby Armie Armstrong » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:54 am

As we have stated clearly in email correspondence and above - to properly determine exactly what is happening here we would have needed more pictures and video of the parts and the whole rig.
Please Note: For any connection areas, during the molding and finishing process, the fine tolerances require surface finish not to be buffed to perfection like the exterior of the foils.
If it is a Manufacturing defect it may be that an air bubble in the molding process caused the imperfection. I think the best way to resolve this is to offer you a credit on any of our new front wings - and we will email you to organise the return of your 1600 asap, so we can properly analyze it and if required improve our QC processes.
Sincerely
Armie Armstrong.
These users thanked the author Armie Armstrong for the post (total 2):
bigtone667 (Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:06 pm) • Horst Sergio (Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels
Wings: Cloud W1 3,4,5,6m, Duotone 7m
Boards: Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/140/110/130
Foils: AXIS 1150/1020/1010/820 Foil

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:15 am

patrelsa wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:55 pm
Im pretty sure I mentioned to mr armstrong I broke 2 lift 200 wings and his reply was ,you wont break the armstrong.BUT I could be wrong about that.Im pretty sure I sent mr armstrong all the same pictures that I put on this post,but i could be wrong about that.I was 1 day out of warranty so YES i was wrong about that,its not under warranty.I sent disgruntled email when their warranty departments first statement was Mr Armstrong said this is wear and tear and then what threw me off ,they offered me a 10 % discount on a new wing,I took that as a slap in the face.I was not interested in dealing with their warranty after this ,as I knew it would be a waste of my time.I do not want a warranty any more.I just want to inform people who are more than 200 pounds and ride powered up and turn alot...may not want to pay $2700 for a foil set up that is worthless in 1 year......there are many failures ive had with armstrong foil ,they may all be wear and tear.,but my complaint was with 1600 wing internal wall cut(simlply not wear and tear).As i mentioned before,an armstrong ambassador said hes never seen damage like the cut in 1600 wing.Thank you mr armstrong for explaining everything, rather than just telling me wear and tear.If anyone knows of a strong long lasting foil setup,please let everyone know,because armstrong is not it.
Might be time for you to start designing foils.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:42 pm

Armie Armstrong wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:54 am
As we have stated clearly in email correspondence and above - to properly determine exactly what is happening here we would have needed more pictures and video of the parts and the whole rig.
Please Note: For any connection areas, during the molding and finishing process, the fine tolerances require surface finish not to be buffed to perfection like the exterior of the foils.
If it is a Manufacturing defect it may be that an air bubble in the molding process caused the imperfection. I think the best way to resolve this is to offer you a credit on any of our new front wings - and we will email you to organise the return of your 1600 asap, so we can properly analyze it and if required improve our QC processes.
Sincerely
Armie Armstrong.
Seems to be admirable service and offer...why not take them up on that? You get a replacement, they get to examine the source of the publicly vented concerns.
These users thanked the author cwood for the post (total 3):
Peter_Frank (Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:37 pm) • Tony (Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:11 pm) • foursquare (Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 pm)
Rating: 25%

Wazza Foil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:13 pm

Always a risk when not buying locally for difficult communication and resolution.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Airush
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Moses
Harnesses: Mystic
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:00 pm

After reading this thread,I am disappointed and very impressed.The disappointment stems from the original poster using the word “Junk”. The Armstrong product is very well designed and has excellent build quality. The OP has an “Issue”. He blatantly sensationalized this by making a false statement.
What I am impressed about is the response from Armstrong. We sell Armstrong and many other top brands. What I find is that they are all passionate about their products performing as intended. When there is an issue , they stand behind the product and find a solution to the problem. In this case, Armstrong is doing just that for the original OP .
These users thanked the author bigwave for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:21 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

taiguy
Medium Poster

Postby taiguy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:16 am

So is peter sending in the parts for investigation? I want to know how this story ends.

patrelsa
Rare Poster
Gear: kite

Postby patrelsa » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:06 pm

No, Im trying to get rid off this foil.It is falling apart.I want nothing to do with armie or cindy armstrong and their junk foils.But for all you nonbelievers.Here more damage that I have run across.This is looking into mast to fuselage attachment.The carbon walls are dissenigrating.The fuselage will not hold tight inside mast no matter how tight you make the 6mm bolts.This creates 1 inch of movement in the roll axis of the wing.Unstable,unrideable foil.I wish they would have offered me a warranty prior to this thread instead of blowing me off and saying wear and tear.Armie do you have no quality control in China?
Attachments
IMG-20200628-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20200628-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20200628-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20200628-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200628-WA0002.jpg

Return to “Hydrofoil”