Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Unhooked foiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Unhooked foiling

Postby Herman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:27 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:19 am
How does a stopper as suggested below the bar accomplish any more than trimming in at the cleat? Trimming to unhook is pretty easy. Firing a release to unhook is pretty easy. It’s hooking back in that pretty much requires a CL and standard harness hook. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Herman wrote:
Pretty much as simple as that. It does not accomplish any more than trimming but, if you are hooking in and out a lot say more than once a minute eg at end of each tack, with a small C kite with small sheeting range it becomes worth it to me. Not a usual requirement. Also it allows me to have the sheeting range exactly where I want it from the moment I hook in rather than having to trim out to get the bar away from my body.

PS it is not reinventing the wheel I had this bar set up 15 years ago!
Last edited by Herman on Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:53 pm

:cool2: Kit3surfer

It is obvious from your question that you have not got your head around unhooking. Simplistically you want to trim in to make sure the kite does not backstall as soon as it goes to fully sheeted in by unhooking. Ideally you want to trim in to the point where the kite will fly fast but not easily overfly the window.

There are no standard bar settings as it depends on the trim of your pigtails etc and the prevailing conditions. As a starting point just sheet fully in and fly the kite through some manouvres without easing the sheeting. This is how your kite will fly unhooked but all the load will be on your arms.

You have to know how to bear away to slack the lines to unhook and more importantly hook back in . Don't even think about unhooking until you have got this down. You also need a recovery plan if you crash. Helps to be comfortable flying the kite with one hand on the bar and one hand on the chickenloop. Also practicing with both hands briefly on the chickenloop may be useful.

Regards Herman

PS Just looked at the ^^videos they look very helpful. If you have room it would be good to do the land drills at the end of each session where the wind has dropped a bit.
Last edited by Herman on Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:14 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:59 am
Hi kit3surfer. I get the impression you might not have unhooked before. Learning this stuff while foiling is likely a fair bit harder because your more likely to outrun the kite and slackline. At the very least I suggest you play around a bit on an empty, wide open beach like in this video before you try to take it to the water. I would guess that pretty much everyone unhooking while foiling learned the basics on a tt and/or surfboard.

I suggest googling "trimming to unhook" or "unhooked bar set up" and watch a few more.
especially with a peak unless you like swimming :-)

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:11 am

What about setting the leash on “suicide mode” to make it easy to recover? Does it make sense if riding in usual foil conditions? Never thought about it but sounds interesting.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:39 am

Getting some light air practice in

Longest run unhooked so far. Probably a couple km.

https://youtube.com/shorts/C9e1c0D9yR0?feature=share
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Onda (Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:37 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:37 am

It’s been pretty good kiting here lately and I’ve been spending more and more time unhooked. Getting your bar really dialed in is a must. Hate slack bungees and excess trim strap. Finally have them tweaked and it’s sweet. Really nice bit of synergy when you get it to work. Freedom from the harness is a nice change I’m glad to have found. Like unhooking on snow, one more way to have fun.

Anyone else unhooking out there? How’s it going?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:36 am

Cefirmeza wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:11 am
What about setting the leash on “suicide mode” to make it easy to recover? Does it make sense if riding in usual foil conditions? Never thought about it but sounds interesting.

Definitely suicide if Peak 4, or full suicide (hook leash just above the loop at the short pin on the Peak 4 bar), so a chance to retrieve again if you lose the bar.

I believe many or most Peak 4 riders, use it without safety anyways, meaning no 5th line and no front or rear line safety, thus goes without saying you leash suicide.

8) Peter

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:10 pm

Yup, clipped suicide is the way to go.

With small kites and light loads at the bar you can depower to stay on a wave by just grabbing the leash with with your free hand and pull without having to hook back in. Once back on your line, just drop it and continue unhooked, bar in one hand. Even riding along like that, bar in one hand leash in the other, depowering the kite as needed feels quite different from being hooked in to a harness.

Will likely get footage of this soon enough.

Return to “Hydrofoil”