Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: Unhooked foiling

Postby nixmatters » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:04 am

Interesting thread!
Does it make sense to install a bar stopper between the bar and the QR for unhooked foiling?

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Brian H » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:42 am

I had my CL open on me a couple days ago on my 8m peak and I had to ride into shallow water to reload it and it was like WOW that was great .

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:17 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:04 am
Interesting thread!
Does it make sense to install a bar stopper between the bar and the QR for unhooked foiling?
I am not qualified on the foil aspect but I think it would depend on the sheeting range/characteristics of the kite. I occasionally use old Naish Boxer C kites (yes they are still going - just) for unhooked landboarding. They have a tiny sheeting range and I have a stopper ball 60mm above the chicken loop. Rehooking requires a little technique but it is worth it for a more comfortable bar position when hooked back in, without messing with the trim, on these particular kites. Have not felt the need for a stopper on my hybrids but I would be using the trim more on these.

Regards Herman
Last edited by Herman on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
nixmatters (Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:37 pm

So far I think the easiest set up is a standard chicken loop bar with a trim cleat and a standard harness hook. I foil with a slider set up and have set them up with a QR that I can hook in the right conditions, but its not super easy or quick. Its a three second procedure compared to a one second procedure with a chicken loop and hook. It takes a nice long moment riding downwind when I can let go of the boar and re attach the release with both hands then grab the bar and continue riding. Its doable, but not ideal an only feasible in the low end of whatever kite Im on and in easy conditions.

Have a chicken loop bar all set but have yet to use it much.

kit3surfer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Postby kit3surfer » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:30 pm

Can anybody give me an advise how to set up my slingshot compstick bar (with depower cleat below the bar) to learn safely riding/foiling unhooked?

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:55 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:04 am
Interesting thread!
makes sense so you can move it up a little bit instead of trimming before unhooking
i will try a slingshot one (with pin) and put it upside down and see if it stays in place
These users thanked the author Frankieboy for the post:
nixmatters (Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:13 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:19 am

How does a stopper as suggested below the bar accomplish any more than trimming in at the cleat? Trimming to unhook is pretty easy. Firing a release to unhook is pretty easy. It’s hooking back in that pretty much requires a CL and standard harness hook. No need to reinvent the wheel.

@kite3surfer,

That’s actually the bar I’ll be using. It’s fine stock. I stripped it down a little. Ditched the rear line grab handles above the floats along with theIr associated stainless hardware and ditched the swivel for a lighter front line split, but none of that changes the functionality for unhooking. You just have to trim enough to keep from stalling when unhooked and your good.

kit3surfer
Medium Poster

Postby kit3surfer » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:41 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:19 am
How does a stopper as suggested below the bar accomplish any more than trimming in at the cleat? Trimming to unhook is pretty easy. Firing a release to unhook is pretty easy. It’s hooking back in that pretty much requires a CL and standard harness hook. No need to reinvent the wheel.

@kite3surfer,

That’s actually the bar I’ll be using. It’s fine stock. I stripped it down a little. Ditched the rear line grab handles above the floats along with theIr associated stainless hardware and ditched the swivel for a lighter front line split, but none of that changes the functionality for unhooking. You just have to trim enough to keep from stalling when unhooked and your good.
Hi,

thanks already for the comment. But could you tell me concretely how I could trimm the bar? I see only the depower rope to trimm. What do you mean that the kite doesn't stall?
Thanks again

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:59 am

Hi kit3surfer. I get the impression you might not have unhooked before. Learning this stuff while foiling is likely a fair bit harder because your more likely to outrun the kite and slackline. At the very least I suggest you play around a bit on an empty, wide open beach like in this video before you try to take it to the water. I would guess that pretty much everyone unhooking while foiling learned the basics on a tt and/or surfboard.

Here is another.

I suggest googling "trimming to unhook" or "unhooked bar set up" and watch a few more.

kit3surfer
Medium Poster

Postby kit3surfer » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:05 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:59 am
Hi kit3surfer. I get the impression you might not have unhooked before. Learning this stuff while foiling is likely a fair bit harder because your more likely to outrun the kite and slackline. At the very least I suggest you play around a bit on an empty, wide open beach like in this video before you try to take it to the water. I would guess that pretty much everyone unhooking while foiling learned the basics on a tt and/or surfboard.

Here is another.

I suggest googling "trimming to unhook" or "unhooked bar set up" and watch a few more.
Hi again,
you were absolutely Right, I have no experience with unhooking (not on TT, not on surfboard). So thank you very much for These two Clips. I think, that was exactly what I was searching for. Nevertheless I will Google, like you said, a Little more.
We'll see, where this new Adventure Ends …? Wish me luck, especially while foiling :-)

Return to “Hydrofoil”