Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Levitaz releases its R5 design for Olympia 2024

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Levitaz releases its R5 design for Olympia 2024

Postby Tone » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 am

yeah that rear wing adjustment is pretty much exactly how Spotz did it. Not sure they can claim that or maybe they can now that Spotz is out of business?

juanpasala
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
Cabo de la Vela
San Andres
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 8-10 / Soul 10-15 / Sonic Race 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby juanpasala » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:24 pm

StillLovinIt wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:37 am
davesails7 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:25 pm
It's also odd since the other race foils went away from adjustable stabilizers. The ML and chubanga are permanently attached to the fuselage at a set angle.
The stabilizer angle for ML foils is adjustable: http://www.mikeslab.com/instructions/. The old Chubanga V2 was not adjustable, the new V3 might work the same as ML, not sure.
Both Chubanga v2 and ML are adjustable with shims that geenrate a slight bending on the fuselage which incites torsion.

Levitaz system looks similar to Spotz, but i am prtty sure they differ, as the spots one was pivoting on the fuselage itself and this one seems to be pivoting onto an angled stainless steel core.

SpunMonkey
Medium Poster
Style: Directionals, foils, and sailing
Gear: Foils, underwater and in the air
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SpunMonkey » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:32 pm

Wanted to stop watching the video when he talked about a patent. Spotz came up with it. Just say “ an adjustable rear wing like Jerome gave the sport” and that’s great. Or nothing at all. Patents in hydrofoils make me think of when mango used to hang around here.... I’ll not be buying a levataz

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11m,15m, 18m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:54 pm

StillLovinIt wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:37 am
The stabilizer angle for ML foils is adjustable: http://www.mikeslab.com/instructions/. The old Chubanga V2 was not adjustable, the new V3 might work the same as ML, not sure.
Thanks! I didn't realize that. I just got a used Bullet 3 and it didn't come with a shim. I'll have to try one out. It does seem like I need a bit less stabilizer angle.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: Slow Style stuntkiting, unhooked foiling
Gear: Just Monofoils, no training wheels ;-)
Ozone chrono; Flysurfer sonic²/r, peak4; Conceptair firefly; Duotone foilwings
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com 's prank monkey

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:01 am

@Tone and SpunMonkey:

Yes first sight changing stabi angle is 1:1 copy of spots, to me also doesn't matter that it is turned around.
But already here there is a relevant improvement. The stabi is pulled on the conus with a screw hidden in the strut to fuse connection. Well, also this is not totaly new as for example f1 and Gunnar has used it in a slightly different way in the past ...

About the patent I don't know anything, but wouldn't expect that levitaz also knowing the market is spending money trying to patent something that is not patentable or even such a great invention.
If by will or unfortunate communication, I could imagine the thing they want to patent in real is the steel core section with the glued front wing on it, as to me this is the most relevant innovation and hardest peace to do.

And again without knowing anything I could imagine gluing a long carbon lever on a small steel core that can support the trosional forces even if an epoxy glue connection doesn't work well on stainless steel is the engineering development effort they have done and in my eyes indeed could be worth to be patented. I think the secret is in what nobody sees and nobody talks about: The shape of the steel core inside the wing. But I would expect Levitaz to be professional enough to have the patent done before anybody can buy it and put it in an X-ray.

But just speculation in total.
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
bohme (Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:21 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Return to “Hydrofoil”