Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Transitioning from Boat to Kite

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Transitioning from Boat to Kite

Postby ralu81 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:58 pm

I started to learn to foil behind a boat about a month ago and will be giving it a go with a kite hopefully in the near future. Curious on what to expect and what are the differences in feel, foot positioning, foil limits etc... I have the Slingshot Gamma 68 with the Fwake board setup. I use one foot strap in front on the most forward setting and have the foil set most of the way back within the track system. I'm pretty comfortable on it up to the 18 mph range(haven't tried any faster yet). I can carve and cross the wake easily at about 15 mph. I also can surf our boats wake with it(Ski boat not much wake), which is usually around 12 mph. I found surfing the wake more difficult than hanging on with the rope since you don't have something to lean against, but have it down now. Also, I have tried going with my left foot back (right back is my strong way) but I do need to work on this more. So my direct questions are below:

- Will I need to shift my weight more forward and change my foot positioning? Curious on how the lifting effect of the kite affects weight transitioning compared to a boat. e.g. less weight on board more pressure needed?

-Will the foil have less top end range with a kite?

-Is it better to slide the foil all the way back to get more weight on the front of the board?

-Is it important to be able to ride with either foot back? From videos I have seen it doesn't seem critical but I should try to advance.

-Anything else? any tips?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: Transitioning from Boat to Kite

Postby TomW » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 pm

Just get out there on your set up as is. Wake foiling is difficult. If you know how to kite it should be easy now.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:23 pm

Agree :thumb:

tkaraszewski
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Moses/F-One/Flysurfer mostly

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Wake foiling is harder than kite foiling if you know how to kite, the kite provides added stability that you don’t have behind the boat. You’ll figure it out quickly and then you can work on the rest of your questions.
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post:
Slappysan (Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:12 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:37 pm

10-4... Yes, I've been kiting for 8 years so we'll see how it goes.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:40 pm

You are going to find it laughably easy, much the same except you now get to drive the boat too! :thumb:

One difference is the pull is slightly more up than forward (that's a slight positive). Now that you've dialed in riding the wake without the rope, you are ready to drift the kite and surf the wind swells, but you''ll have to focus of bit on keeping the kite flying (that's a slight negative).

One advantage of boat learning, is you immediately learn to ride toeside, which opens up wave riding and carving. One disadvantage is you aren't forced to learn to foil switch foot, and I can tell you from personal experience that puts up a mental block. I foiled left foot forward only for 3-4 years, which works fine, but you are less efficient upwind toeside and your body gets sore. Force yourself to tackle other foot forward, it'll take you 3-4 lame sessions, but it's worth it. I only wave ride left foot forward though, just use right foot forward to upwind tacks.

Balance wise and setting up foil ... should be no difference.

The H2 / Gamma is a sweet wing, I used it sup foiling and a buddy has it as his main kite foil. It has more lift than most dedicated kite foils ... this means you can use a much smaller kite, though you won't go quite as fast. (but probably go as fast you actually want to!)

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:33 am

I think your biggest adjustment will be speed control. Under the kite you may end up having a problem slowing down. So as you speed up, more front foot pressure. You may find some difficulty going downwind, foiling faster than your kite. Looping helped me in the beginning, but I use foilkites. To slow down, edging hard upwind helps.

=Jason-

ralu81
Medium Poster
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:43 am

Thanks I’ll look into other posts about going downwind it was a concern as well but I’m fairly comfortable with looping the kite especially on the lower end of their range. I’m looking forward to using my 11m evo as my light wind kite. Can I expect to use it up until 16 knots? It’s been a really forgiving kite compared to the cab vector it replaced.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:50 am

It’s not something I’m nervous about. I just want to pick it up as quickly as I can so I can enjoy it and also to stay safe. I’m in Michigan and primarily kite on the Great Lakes and beaches have pretty much disappeared here do to high water levels so besides having to potentially drift launch from the beach now it should be a good time to learn. The gamma 68 has been great so far hoping it’s as good with the kite as it has been with the boat.

Return to “Hydrofoil”