Kitedicted
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Naish Pivot 9, 11m
Brand Affiliation: None

Can someone advice me on gong foils?

Postby Kitedicted » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:47 pm

Hi,
I am interested in trying hydrofoiling. I talked to the guys at gong but not sure if that helped :D
I understand that things that make foiling easier is a big ass low aspect wing, shorter mast, big bord etc. They have a beginner foil wing called rise, or the "all around foil" which has an 80cm mast, 1260cm2 wing and 45cm between the wings. Then they have a foil called "freewave" with the curve wing, which is 1000cm2 and a bit faster.

So I want to kite in light winds, 12 knots and below. I understand that their biggest wing is easier to learn on but I was considering the freewave with the curve/pro model wing. But maybe that is a mistake. I see some people riding other big foil wings like the slingshot hover glide, which has like 1500cm2 area.

I don't understand what I should aim for. I don't care if it takes me 3 or 6 sessions or 9 to learn, I just want to buy something that I wont outgrow after 3 months but I would consider buying an extra short mast if neccessary. Any advice?

Thanks

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.

Re: Can someone advice me on gong foils?

Postby a99 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:05 pm

Moses super hit 633 wing is 1250 cm2, its impossible to grew up in long period, so, about 1000-1250 cm wings are most suitable i think.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Kitedicted wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:47 pm
I see some people riding other big foil wings like the slingshot hover glide, which has like 1500cm2 area.

I don't understand what I should aim for. I don't care if it takes me 3 or 6 sessions or 9 to learn, I just want to buy something that I wont outgrow after 3 months but I would consider buying an extra short mast if neccessary. Any advice?
Actually, the original Slingshot Hoverglide is 707 cm2 (H5 front wing). I and many others learned to foil on that wing. But now, most people prefer a larger front wing for learning (and later for light wind).

The 1500 cm2 wing you're describing is the Space Skate (H4) surf wing. Personally, I think that wing is too large with too much lift for kite foiling, especially for a beginner, unless you're a heavy weight.

The happy medium from Slingshot is the Gamma (H2) wing at 960 cm2, which is a great beginner wing and will continue to be a fun light wind kite foil wing for learning transitions and tricks when you are more experienced.

Bottom line: I think a beginner in the 160-180 lbs range would be set up for fastest success with a front wing of about 1000 cm2, a 24 inch mast, and a slightly larger board (4.5 - 5 feet) to carry through inevitable touch-downs when learning. You can keep the 24 inch mast for shallow water when you're more experienced (or sell), and the 1000 cm2 size wing will continue to be useful for lighter wind freestyle. You'll eventually want a smaller board, so you could try learning on something in the range of 4-4.5 feet so you won't outgrow it so quickly. I don't know the Gong line-up, so can't offer any specific advice there. Have fun!

AndersP
Medium Poster
Gear: Foil

Postby AndersP » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:20 pm

I have both the curve and the rise and use both.

The rise easier to learn on and the freewave takes a bit more speed to get up and stay on the foil. The freewave can go faster but still turns well. The rise is nice in slow waves and you can turn it really tight without stalling.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:56 pm

Assuming you are average weight, 75 to 80 kg, since you dont write...

The 1000 cm2 is more than sufficient :thumb:

If you expect to be able to learn in 3 or 6 or 9 sessions, you are VERY very wrong.

Even after 100 sessions, most are still learning :D

Meaning, kitefoil is not something you just "try".

You have to believe in it, and go all in, learning.

The positive thing though, is that EVERYONE can say that you will not be dissapointed, but may only foil after having learned :D

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Eltreato (Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:55 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:26 am

Last edited by tegirinenashi on Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

esme
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby esme » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:03 am

Gong M, surf wing. Perfect size to start on.
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product ... -rise-alu/

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:41 pm

I've posted a lot about this.

You have 2 options :
1. The Rise and 80 cm mast. Learn on it the sell after a year and get the Curve with 90cm mast next year. (When you realize you will sell your twin tip and other non foiling gear)
2. Get the Curve kit with 90cm mast and 65cm mast to learn on. Use the 65 for 10-20 sessions and are comfortable, then switch to the 90. Use this set up for 3 years at least.

Both options, use a 4' 6" board first year, then get a 100-120 cm board second year.

I'm assuming you will foil about 100 hrs a year.

The Curve Medium ( M Pro) is a great foil to learn on.
The Rise will be easier ( I guess, I've not ridden it)) and you'll probably have fun on it until you learn most of the flying transitions. That can take anywhere between 50 and 200 hrs on the water depending upon your inherent skill and conditions you have.
By that time the wing will most likely be a bit worn out and you can buy the curve wings. Gong is affordable.

The Curve is not an advanced wing. It has same stability as the moses 633 which is well known to be a good learning wing . I think the rise is even easier than the moses 633.

I learned on 600cm2 wing 90 cm mast. Then rode 633 (1200 cm2) for 2 years before switching to the M Pro. So I know for sure the M Pro is comparable. The m pro you will not grow out of. Ive foiled 300+ hrs and still enjoy it and still learning more advanced transitions. Get the 65 cm mast for first 10 sessions till you are flying, then switch to the 90 cm and keep going.

Peter is correct, you can learn to get up and flying back n forth in 5-6 sessions. But learning to fly during transitions and footswitch takes much more time. I was at around 100 hrs to learn that well on a 600cm2 wing. But local guys 35 years younger than me ( I'm 60) learned after 20 hrs on 1200cm2 wings.

Sorry for rambling, but I reccomend the M pro to learn on, unless you are very cautious and/ or have a sporadic session schedule and can't get continuity in training.

AndersP
Medium Poster
Gear: Foil

Postby AndersP » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:48 pm

I say you progress faster on a rise (surf M), both to get up on the foil and flying and transitions. The easier wing you have the faster you learn.

Kitefoiling is hard to learn, why make the start harder than necessary?

When/if you feel like stepping up in speed and glide you buy the Curve (M Pro) wing. Still want faster? Uppgrade again.

All wings and stabs and struts/masts fits the fuselage and you can upgrade with faster wings and stabs, mix and match whenever you like. Masts are cheap, buy a short and a 90cm.

Kitedicted
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Naish Pivot 9, 11m

Postby Kitedicted » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:30 pm

Hmm it's really tricky. Buying the freewave with a shorter mast will be cheaper, if I buy a rise I will have to change wing, mast, stab and the fuselage etc and that will be more expensive. I understand the rise will be easier in the beginning. Are we talking a massive difference? Otherwise I am leaning towards the freewave/curve to save some money

Return to “Hydrofoil”