2016 17m Ocean Rodeo Flite
North Twin Tip
2018 North Free Foil & Speedster Combo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Full face helmet for foiling?

Postby Kiteboarder89 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:52 am

Just learning but I don't want 1 thing to go wrong even after having learned and cut up my face...

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:26 am

I think the reason full face helmets became unpopular was the bucketing effect (water fills the helmet and adds additional torque forces to your neck). So you have to really know you 'want' full face before you commit.

The other thing to consider is how regularly you wear head protection. Through other hobbies I was already used to wearing a helmet so it was a natural feel to continue. The main advantage is you can turn your head away from the water when crashing. If you do this without a helmet you risk perforating an ear drum so you have to learn to absorb the water face front on. Hence the problem with only wearing a helmet part of the time. You have to train your reaction in a crash and its probably best not to mix and match

My experience learning was less that the foil would come towards my face (with a shorter mast it was normally at my chest) but more that it would hit me on the back of the head after I fell off the front and the foil chased me down. There is a helpful tutorial on youtube showing how to crash on a foil. What scenarios were you concerned with that needed a full face helmet?

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:24 am

I think a more middle ground solution might be helmets that include ears and across the jaw coverage but not necessarily the entire face. Add some good eye wear and the overall coverage is pretty good. These helmets are marketed towards extreme white water paddlers.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:20 pm

Well

The best investment is buying a carbon foil. Only alu foil riders are wearing helmets. And rightly so.

Anything in front a face restrict vision or movement. Gath has high forehead, made specifically for surfing.

Visor is not good for us, good for a jet ski tho. What is good is a motorcycle rider mask, no goggles.

That I would wear. As some do.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:52 pm

Well I have a super light carbon set up and I wear a Gath helmet with small peak for some eye shade. Not the high forehead model designed for tow surfing. Great helmet, no bucketing, good fit, light and keeps the sun off the top of my ears! Mine has many marks from years of use and has saved me a goose egg or two.

As someone working on strapless airs with a hydrofoil, I land in all manner of crash with the foil in random positions. I very much pay attention to the foil until we are both safely at rest. Have dinged myself in many ways, usually lower body. Have drawn blood through 4mm of neoprene, but have not hit my face. Reflex and Awareness with the eventual development of some skill when it comes to falling are your best efforts. I personally have no interest in a face mask on my helmet and cant really see the need for one in anything less than full on speed trials.

Learn how to avoid the foil while crashing, and the risks will diminish with experience and skill.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:55 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:20 pm
The best investment is buying a carbon foil. Only alu foil riders are wearing helmets. And rightly so.
Whaaa?? I don't understand this comment. I also don't think it's true at my locations. When it comes to cutting skin or knocking out teeth, I think a carbon foil works about the same as an aluminum foil. Aluminum is heavier, but carbon foils tend to be sharper, and I'm really not sure it makes much difference in a high speed crash. Most all foilers at my locations wear helmets, whether they ride carbon or aluminum.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Mask is to protect from UV as well.

Im wearing for years Naroo mask. And still have UV damaged face.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:44 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:55 pm
downunder wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:20 pm
Whaaa?? I don't understand this comment. I also don't think it's true at my locations. When it comes to cutting skin or knocking out teeth, I think a carbon foil works about the same as an aluminum foil. Aluminum is heavier, but carbon foils tend to be sharper, and I'm really not sure it makes much difference in a high speed crash. Most all foilers at my locations wear helmets, whether they ride carbon or aluminum.
Saying the obvious. You live in your World and I live in mine.

Sharp from which side? The TE will hit you in the face? How? Everything is possible but probability is low.

The momentum of Alu foil is like a sledge hammer. We talking cca 8kg setup against 4-5.

I have both, alu and 2 carbon setups...

Plus, I design and make carbon helmets, right? ;)

Gath manufacturer is from my neighborhood. It's Australian product from Margaret River.

Some of the riders on KF are using hockey gear as protection. You'll never see this in Aust. Never ever. Maybe this is a cultural thing?

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:52 pm

I wore an Ice Hockey Helmet while learning. There are no real negatives in my opinion except a bit heavy - I took some pretty high speed wipe outs and didnt notice any problems hitting the water at speed. They will rust with the salt water a bit over time but they are cheap and well made. THe one I had was pretty much water proof with rubber padding on the inside. I recently saw some Windsurf Speed Sailing videos where the people seemed to be wearing ice hockey helmets, so kite hydrofoilers are not the first people to go down this path. It will definitely help protect your face from a foil impact to an extent.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:28 pm

Easton do a hockey helmet with clear visor, no grill to rust. I have never worn it in the water but it would certainly offer a lot of protection at the expense of a little extra weight. If I wanted a marine full face helmet I would get a Gecko. I use the Gecko open face surf lid and rate it as areally good piece of kit. I also have a gath gedi and have experience with various cheaper helmets.
Attachments
IMG_20200609_142143.jpg

Return to “Hydrofoil”