Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Full face helmet for foiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Full face helmet for foiling?

Postby UKSurf » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:15 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 pm
First time I saw someone in a full face helmet was down in La Ventura. It was so hilarious that I bursted out laughing. I just couldn’t help myself. For me hydrofoiling is all about the feels and something like that would greatly reduce that for me and in my opinion is not worth the extra protection. I have been hit in the face with my board before and still hold this opinion. It is an “extreme” sport and there’s always going to be some amount of risk. Up to you to decide what risk you are willing to take. Gotta say it’s quite entertaining to see these riders in so much “armor”. Quite entertaining. Might as well be in a bubble.
Well I would like to say it would be quite entertaining if your foil smashes you in the face and you have to have facial reconstruction surgery because you were not wearing a visor like someone who posted on here a while ago, but in reality it wouldnt be amusing at all. Anyone with any common sense could probably work out the kind of damage the foil could do to someone. But as you say it is a personal choice but laughing because someone is taking precautions against a very real risk is a bit pathetic.

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 97 times
Contact:

Re: Full face helmet for foiling?

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 pm

UKSurf wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:15 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 pm
First time I saw someone in a full face helmet was down in La Ventura. It was so hilarious that I bursted out laughing. I just couldn’t help myself. For me hydrofoiling is all about the feels and something like that would greatly reduce that for me and in my opinion is not worth the extra protection. I have been hit in the face with my board before and still hold this opinion. It is an “extreme” sport and there’s always going to be some amount of risk. Up to you to decide what risk you are willing to take. Gotta say it’s quite entertaining to see these riders in so much “armor”. Quite entertaining. Might as well be in a bubble.
Well I would like to say it would be quite entertaining if your foil smashes you in the face and you have to have facial reconstruction surgery because you were not wearing a visor like someone who posted on here a while ago, but in reality it wouldnt be amusing at all. Anyone with any common sense could probably work out the kind of damage the foil could do to someone. But as you say it is a personal choice but laughing because someone is taking precautions against a very real risk is a bit pathetic.
No reason to be so triggered. I can’t help what amuses me. As I said, my riding is all about the feels and I can’t understand why someone would destroy that just for a little more safety. Just my opinion and I’m entitled to it just as you are to yours.

richy-c
Medium Poster
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 7:48 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Full face helmet for foiling?

Postby richy-c » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:50 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:21 am
I wear the Gath Gedi helmet with the full face visor and have been very happy with it. I wear it for cut and sun protection more than impact protection which it really isn’t rated for it. If I wanted impact protection I would go with a white water kayaking helmet or maybe downhill skiing helmet.
Hi mate I use the Gedi too with half visor. I was hit in the back of the head with my Slingshot Alien air last week and I was glad to be wearing the helmet. In fact it rang my head so much I was slightly concussed for a few minutes. I'm now wondering if the padding is thick enough in the Gedi. My wife's Ion helmet has much thicker foam.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:40 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Full face helmet for foiling?

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:39 am

richy-c wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:50 pm
Dave_5280 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:21 am
I wear the Gath Gedi helmet with the full face visor and have been very happy with it. I wear it for cut and sun protection more than impact protection which it really isn’t rated for it. If I wanted impact protection I would go with a white water kayaking helmet or maybe downhill skiing helmet.
Hi mate I use the Gedi too with half visor. I was hit in the back of the head with my Slingshot Alien air last week and I was glad to be wearing the helmet. In fact it rang my head so much I was slightly concussed for a few minutes. I'm now wondering if the padding is thick enough in the Gedi. My wife's Ion helmet has much thicker foam.
Ouch - glad you’re ok. The padding is thin. I know the packaging had some wording about it not being impact rated. You might look around a bit at other helmets and padding for impacts. There are some premium brands in other sports with a lot of science on head protection, like Poc - https://www.pocsports.com/us/home/

Here’s some While water kayak helmets; https://www.outdoorplay.com/sweet-prot ... gLyG_D_BwE

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 10:57 pm
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m, Hyperlink 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m and 14m, access 6m
Flysurfer Soul 15m.
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50, Ketos Foil freeride2 and Transformer TT
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Full face helmet for foiling?

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:20 pm

I both do foil and twintipping and since In my main spots wind is usually likely to switch I always wear a full lenght wetsuit and an impact vest.

But I only wear a hat for sun protection.

I jump a lot with foil and do downloop powered landings and no sagety problemps at all.

Although when I try flying jibes I always get in trouble with foil getting caught on the lines, so only doing surface jibes right now, and it's nothing that lets me sleepless at nights 😉


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests