Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Airush Ultra vs Cloud for Foiling?

Postby PurdyKiter » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:40 pm

I've been on Clouds forever. But lately I'm toying with the idea of a switch to Airush Ultra. Anyone here have some experience with the Ultra?
My (minor) "complaints" with Clouds:
I still after 4+ years still get a rare inversion that is unrecoverable without swimming
Now that I'm better at foiling the Cloud light grunt feature is not a must. When I test rode the Ultra it was a hoot for lift at noon kite position.
Thank You

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Has thanked: 0

Re: Airush Ultra vs Cloud for Foiling?

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:29 pm

Buy a used one before changing quiver. Just do it..... I read the forum of how good is the Ultra for 3 years until I got the money to buy one. A very good kite for light wind. I don't foil yet.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:40 pm

I just picked up the 7m and 5m Ultra2's on sale. Had a 10m Ultra 2 before that. They are great kites. Super responsive, power when you want it. I'm pretty much 100% foiling these days. Rode the 5m today in 22avg, spot on. 7m 2 days ago avg 17. I rode clouds back in the C2 time when I was on a surfboard. The non-recoverable inversions in the surf on downwinders were my biggest issue so I took a chance on the Airush Waves at that time and never looked back.
Tony

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:55 pm

I had a 9m Ultra and it was a great kite. Good for foiling, surf or TT riding...... super fun and easy to re-launch because of the strut.

But the Clouds I own are better for foiling (especially light wind), good for riding a surfboard in surf (better at drifting).

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:40 pm
I've been on Clouds forever. But lately I'm toying with the idea of a switch to Airush Ultra. Anyone here have some experience with the Ultra?
My (minor) "complaints" with Clouds:
I still after 4+ years still get a rare inversion that is unrecoverable without swimming
Now that I'm better at foiling the Cloud light grunt feature is not a must. When I test rode the Ultra it was a hoot for lift at noon kite position.
Thank You
never tried the Ultra but foiled with Boxers from Naish before switching to Clouds D and E
Clouds re much much better then the Boxer, which was much better then my wve kites.
Never inverted Cloud (I rarely drop the kite).
I ride it a size smaller then my friends with wave kites and weight 100kg

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:47 am

I have a 9m Ultra V1, excellent for waves and foiling. I go out when the lulls are 8knots or greater, so it's very good lightwind. TT jumping is not very good. Can't comment on Cloud but it is nice to have a strut for relaunch and self launch/landing.

I'm trying to hold out for an Ultra with Alulua fabric, that's the holy grail kite for foiling.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:37 am

Recommend you try an Aluula kite, OR Roam or Flite, or whatever other kite co's come along with it before deciding.

BTW I love my quiver of smaller Cloud E's, for medium and stronger winds they are great. But when it's really light air on a foil, Aluula is tops IMO.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:10 am

GregK wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:37 am
Recommend you try an Aluula kite, OR Roam or Flite, or whatever other kite co's come along with it before deciding.

BTW I love my quiver of smaller Cloud E's, for medium and stronger winds they are great. But when it's really light air on a foil, Aluula is tops IMO.
Why do you think the Aluula kite is better in light wind? The kite is much heavier. It will restart easier or faster because of the struts but in the air...

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 pm

I have 2 Ultra V1 and I have been using them for foiling especially the 12m for sub 10 knots foil days. It's brilliant it will stay in the air when the other kites are down. The drift is very good when you go downwind in very light wind on the foil the light weight and great drift makes a big difference. The only negative is the relaunch in very light wind it won't rollover and relaunch on it's own until you get more wind at least 8 knots maybe 10 but not many kites will. You have to do a reverse launch on those conditions. Only foil kites or maybe Aluula would be better for foiling but since the wind can die at any time on my home spot I much prefer and inflatable. I might go for an Aluula Roam in the future but the prices are insane right now.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:04 pm

A lot of the comments here are talking about foiling in light/marginal winds, I think that's a little different comparison vs all winds.
For me, ultimate low end I'm on a 12m foil kite but I could see an Aluula kite working here as well.
I can jump on the 10m Ultra2 in consistent 11-13 or a little more and have no issues. Could push it lower but think the foil kite is better for that.
I think the wind range where you'd be on a 6m-8m the Ultra is amazing, easy relaunch, super reactive, power on demand responsive even when depowered.
I've settled on the Ultra and have a great shop that lets me demo and is very supportive : Hatteras Island Surf and Sail
There are definitely lots of great options these days but I feel the Ultra is one of the better ones.
TOny

Return to “Hydrofoil”