Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Roll Tacks: Stuck at 25% Success - tips?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Roll Tacks: Stuck at 25% Success - tips?

Postby alowishus » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:15 am

cglazier wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 pm
Some things that worked for me:

- it is much easier when you are fully powered
- bend your knees
- pull continuously and harder than you might think on your back hand to redirect the kite
- don't forget to look under your armpit
- switch your feet a bit later
- try to complete the whole move quickly

:wink: CG
Some days it all starts coming together I think I’m well on my way with tacks (no tack + footswitch yet), and other days struggle to pull off one half decent...!

A couple of these critical tips and details at times escape me on the water, so thanks for posting and reminding me :D

junebug
Frequent Poster
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:08 pm

This advice may not be for everyone, but when I was learning these, it helped me to move the timing of the foot switch much earlier in relation to the upwind carve. It helped me to conceptualize what I was doing to think of it, not as a “tack,” but as a “foot switch from heel to toeside followed by an immediate upwind toeside tack to heel side.” Moving the foot switch earlier allowed me to focus on each element of the tack separately. Once you get it down, you can then move the foot switch later.

I could already do upwind toeside tacks before learning tacks with a foot switch, so if you don’t know how to do those then you can probably ignore this suggestion.

To this day, especially when underpowered, it is more natural for me to do my tacks this way. Drive hard upwind, foot switch when the kite is high, immediate sharp upwind carve to take the nose of the board through dead upwind, followed by a hard pull on the (old) back hand to down loop and ride out with power.

YMMV

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:34 pm

Yesterday I was over 80% on strong side--held off on weak side because I was getting cold. THE difference makers for me:
1. You THINK you are sheeted out all the way; you are not. Bar should hit stopper I had the same issue learning toe-heel tack 180's
2. Send kite to new side BEFORE you carve through wind AND WAIT for carve until you FEEL the kite pulling from the NEW side (you feel it in your harness)

Once I had this going well:

3. Modulating how much you sheet in to help with foot switch is a feeling you will acquire with repetition.
4. The smoothness of switch--tap-tap vs hop--is not easy, but will come (I assume...)

The sheeting out is so important that I think I want a custom bar with 25" (65cm or so) of sheeting vs my current 21" (53cm)

derek440
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites

Postby derek440 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:12 am

I agree regarding the bar, i have three bars and one of them has a shorter throw and i find it really hard to tack compared to the other bars with approx 65cm throw (custom systems). Agree on the points about tacking, most common problems are kite movement/unwanted movements with hands - try doing some "beach tacks" before your session with foot changes for practice. Other most common fault seems to be not getting weight forward enough, either hips or chest, causing not driving through the tack enough, or in the right direction and getting the board/foil flat/rolled over onto the new tack. Daniela Moroz video on these topics is helpful on youtube.

RE kite movement, making sure your arms move properly can help with your kite movement, i practiced this at home and on my skateboard and in my garage with a bar on a board on the floor practicing foot changes to make them automatic. And the looking under arm thing and also using your "tippy toes" can help with chest and hips forward, which are common problems. I also learned to tack with a pocket board, in hind-sight it may have been easier with a bigger board, but i got there in the end, but I also got stuck for ages at the 1/4 or 1/5 success rate for about 500-800 tacks i reckon, that really sucked, but now i'm making way more.

When I am tacking now I enter the tack thinking about strongly directing the kite and sheeting all the way out (sometimes one handed sheeting out for more length and body position whilst sheeted out) and then turning the foil/board as I am directing the kite hard using a strong elbow down arm movement with the new front hand (sometimes I use a finger tips only grip with the other hand to avoid pulling that hand). Then with that proper entry/setup I focus on a fast foot change with chest forward/looking under arm and hips forward whilst keeping centre of gravity over the board by flattening off the board at the same time and giving it a little push off the back foot. So many things to get right at once, but once each part gets more automatic it gets so much easier. But i reckon the first 500 attempts are mostly locking in kite movement which everyone thinks they are doing right but they are not. Then the next few hundred attempts you think you are getting your centre of gravity forward enough and for sure you aren't. I think another thing that helped me break the 1/4 cycle was finally deciding to learn gybes with foot-changes which for me was easier and taught me lots about body movement and foot pressure during the foot change which I think helped my tacking.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
twig (Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:22 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

derek440
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites

Postby derek440 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:43 am

Some nice smooth tacks from my Mrs on our freeride Moses 633 foil with pocket board from our holiday last week

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:38 pm

derek440 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:43 am
Some nice smooth tacks from my Mrs on our freeride Moses 633 foil with pocket board from our holiday last week
Smooth indeed!

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:13 pm

Yes very nice! And clearly foil kite technique, you can see the kite pulling her over, good timing!
This is obviously a bit different with a LEI, where there is less pull and a much shorter "window" to make the switch. The smaller and faster the kite, the more difficult it gets.
On a LEI, you need to redirect much harder and faster than with the foil kite, which gives you much more "float"..
So in the beginning, best to try on a bigger, slower kite with lots of power.

Return to “Hydrofoil”