Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: ocean rodeo prodigy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Foil Problem

Postby joeblo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Recently got a Cabrinha hirise varial M and the first day I was using it wake foiling, the fuselage came off. When the new one arrived I was surprised to discover that the screws holding the fuselage to the mast only protruded 8mm of thread. Did some searching and found that for aluminum, the thread depth should be 2 times the bolt diameter. So the 8mm bolt should go 16mm into the mast by industry standard. I have a picture of me crashing and the foil actually came off in the water. I did not hit anything while foiling along either. It is strange that the top mount bolts go into the mast more that 20mm while the fuselage bolts only go into the mast 8mm. It seems like a design flaw to me. Anyone else have this problem? Do you think that 8mm (5/16") is enough to hold the fuselage to the mast on a connection that has a very shallow 1-2mm mast insert into the fuleage? I have to think I am not alone here as this has bound to have happened to others
Thanks

PS.... Sure I got longer bolts for the new mast to foil conection, but the short ones were the cause of the lost fuselage and wings, and I think Cabrinha should have provided me with new ones. I went through my retail store to try and get it replaced, but Cabrinha's stance was that the bolts were correct. So now after not being satisfied with the construction of the first one, I am trying to find out if this problem has occurred to anyone else.
Thanks

Jyoder
Medium Poster
Gear: Stringy Foil and DIY board

Re: Cabrinha Foil Problem

Postby Jyoder » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Are you sure you don’t have the top and bottom bolts mixed up? My old LF foil had shorter bolts for use in the mast plate and longer bolts for the mast-fuse connection.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
Kitetwin-1 (Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:56 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

joeblo
Rare Poster

Postby joeblo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:27 pm

Thanks for the response. Yes I am sure that the screws are in the right place because the bolts are 40mm long for both connections. Seems odd that Cabrinha would decide that more than 20mm was necessary at the top, yet only 8mm would be fine for the bottom. Also there is a larger inset for the mast to base connection than there is for the fuselage to mast connection. As a result there are two weaker points at the fuselage to mast connection than the fuselage to base connection. These factors lead me to believe that it is a design oversight and that it is bound to happen more often than once.

BalsaMichel
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Lake Constance. Germany
Favorite Beaches: Soma Bay
Loissin
Fehmarn
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, Home-made Splits

Postby BalsaMichel » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:01 pm

I have a Varial S (not used yet). Same problem here! threads of the 40mm screws come out of the fuselage less than 10mm.

Should we bet that Cabrinha will update this soon to 50mm screws instead of the 40mm??

Micha

Kitetwin-1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:31 pm

Can’t say that you did this but I switched the top flange bolts with the fuse and my fuse popped off, lucky for me I found it.

joeblo
Rare Poster

Postby joeblo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:41 pm

Thanks BalsaMichel and Kitetwin. I did not switch bolts but I was going behind a boat to practice and learn how to fly the thing. I was going super slow, and Cabinha lists this foil as good for wake foiling, but I think there is just a little too much pressure on the foils when starting behind a boat. Even just slushing along with the big wings is more force than would result of starting on a kite. The 8mm threads holding the fuselage on are not enough. Kitetewin, were you kiting when your fuse popped off? Thanks again guys

Kitetwin-1
Medium Poster
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:54 pm

Yes I was kiting when my fuse popped off, again I mismatched the bolts, my bad.

Kitetwin-1
Medium Poster
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Sorry joeblo I wasn’t clear. My foil was for an older DA that did have bolts of slightly different length for top flange and bottom fuse. You say these bolts are equal length in your set up. Is it possible that you didn’t have the fit just right on the mast to fuse connection ? I mark a line on the mast with pencil parallel to thE fuse so that when I detach and attach the fuse I know I have it aligned for bolt tightening.

BalsaMichel
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Lake Constance. Germany
Favorite Beaches: Soma Bay
Loissin
Fehmarn
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, Home-made Splits

Postby BalsaMichel » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:58 pm

The milled out section for the mast is only about 2mm deep at maximum thickness position of the mast. The mast has a quite loose fit in there so it´s not really likely that the mast doesn´t sit properly. Screws in the photo are the intended 40mm. Screws come out 9mm but there is a chamfer of approx. 1mm at the tip of the screw. So 8mm thread seems right.

My point of view is that there´s a good chance here to over-tighten the screws without realizing it. Additional forces when riding will do the rest.

Micha
2020-06-22 18.37.40.jpg

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:12 am

I had a Zeeko foil and I had more thread going into the mast. (m8 x 60mm)

Comparing it with this video the 40mm bolts are right, I was going to ask if you had washers on them but its just a tapered head.

Return to “Hydrofoil”