gigibianchi
Rare Poster
Gear: LF
Brand Affiliation: None

Review: Liquid Force Orb (foilboard)

Postby gigibianchi » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:53 am

DISAPPOINTMENT

I have the Liquid Force Orb for only 3 months:

1. A yellowish stain with a lump that looks like a DELAMINATION appeared around the nose (board didn't get any hit). Not acceptable for a new 800 dollars board. I contacted liquid force for a claim (through my local distributor) and the answer was something like "it happens with that board, we saw it also with some other Orbs, it is just cosmetic. We won't replace it because it'll probably happen again. take an 80 dollar voucher". It is outrageous to admit to a production defect without taking serious responsibility for it. 10٪ voucher? Common

2. Material: board is TOO FRAGILE, everytime it touches the ring of my harness it leaves a sign which didn't happen with previous LF foil boards i owned/used (Happy, Galaxy). A foilboard should be a little more bomb proof.

3. Pad is NOT ADJUSTED TO KITE-FOILING. When i carry the board with my harness on or when it touches my bar while body dragging, it leaves irreversible marks on the pad. Never happened with any other foil board i used.

4. Weight: it is HEAVY! i compared it with other 110cm foil boards on the market and it is the heaviest i found (3kg! vs. boards that weight between 1kg to 2,5kg max).
Last edited by gigibianchi on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

matanshapira
Medium Poster

Re: Review: Liquid Force Orb (foilboard)

Postby matanshapira » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 am

It's odd that they have a lot of rocker in the Galaxy and almost no rocker in the Orb.

rombergo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 75
Local Beach: BBC LA Lomma Parkvägen
Gear: Dwarfcraft 3'6 Micro with LFK Impulse foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby rombergo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:55 pm

Having followed the other thread it seems a little mean spirited to break out that post like this. Not regarding the staining (which clearly seems to be a real problem) but definitely about the weight which you clearly knew about in advance.

I'll add though, regarding the corduroy, that the Galaxy and also the entire SS lineup of boards have the same issue.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:12 am

gigibianchi wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:53 am
TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT

I have the Liquid Force Orb for only 3 months:

1. A yellowish stain with a lump that looks like a DELAMINATION appeared around the nose (board didn't get any hit). Not acceptable for a new 800 dollars board. I contacted liquid force for a claim (through my local distributor) and the answer was something like "it happens with that board, we saw it also with some other Orbs, it is just cosmetic. We won't replace it because it'll probably happen again. take an 80 dollar voucher". It is outrageous to admit to a production defect without taking serious responsibility for it. 10٪ voucher? Common

2. Material: board is made of fiberglass which is TOO FRAGILE to any little hit. A foilboard should be a little more bomb proof.

3. Pad is NOT ADJUSTED TO KITE-FOILING. When i carry the board with my harness on, it leaves irreversible marks on the pad. Never happened with any other foil board i used.

4. Weight: it is HEAVY! i compared it with other 110cm foil boards on the market and it is the heaviest i found (3kg! vs. boards that weight between 1kg to 2,5kg max).

At first I thought this post was a prank, but it is not?

The delamination sounds wrong yes, except for the fact that a board will usually get some hits on the nose, nothing you can do about that...

Fibreglass is what all our boards are made of, the strongest material.
If you want an even heavier board made of plastic, so it can take the abuse, it will be hard to find :roll:

You carry your board and your harness makes marks on the foot pads?
Come on, of course it does :rollgrin:
Most boards dont have pads where your harness is, so here you will scratch the surface instead, so you should be happy about the padding.

Weight - you knew it wasnt super light weight, but you bought it anyways?
Also a low cost board, so not light.

I dont know this board, it is just above claims seems very very odd, somehow, and as a review you havent written anything about how it rides and how it feels on the water, and how the trim works with your current foil?

8) Peter

gigibianchi
Rare Poster

Postby gigibianchi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am

Dear Peter,

How come you decided the board got some hits around the nose when i specifically wrote it didn't? Not gonna argue about that. Moreover, the yellowish stain began to form after the first 2-3 sessions so your comment is irrelevant.

Most foiboards does have a pad where the "harness is" and my harness didn't leave any marks on any other board i tried or owned, but i wrote that as well on my post... Do you intentionally ignore the parts that you don't like? are you affiliated with LF? :wink:

I actually don't know too much about board materials, you're probably right that most boards are made of fiberglass (thank you for that comment, i changed my original post). Nonetheless, this board is still too fragile even in comparison to other LF foil boards i owned/tried (Happy, Galaxy). Everytime the tail gently touches the ring on my harness in the water it leaves a mark and that never happened with any other board i owned or tried or with any board that my friends own.

LF didn't publish the weight of the board when i bought it, they added it later on and it doesn't matter, it is heavy, very heavy in comparison to the market.
Low cost? 800 dollars for a short foilboard is not low cost, it is on the higher end of the price scale.

You can find all the cool, positive details on this foilboard on kite magazines, i wanted to share a non-biased review about the board quality and treatment by LF and to warn future customers of making the same mistake i did. LF is known for their low quality products but they are also known for being real good service givers and for taking responsibility for their faulted gear. At least that is what they did so far. Most of my gear is LF and i stayed with them for that reason and also because my local distributor is a real cool dude. If LF are making bad quality products and don't take responsibility then people should know that.
Last edited by gigibianchi on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

gigibianchi
Rare Poster

Postby gigibianchi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:26 am

matanshapira wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 am
It's odd that they have a lot of rocker in the Galaxy and almost no rocker in the Orb.
It doesn't bother me at all

gigibianchi
Rare Poster

Postby gigibianchi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:33 am

rombergo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:55 pm
Having followed the other thread it seems a little mean spirited to break out that post like this. Not regarding the staining (which clearly seems to be a real problem) but definitely about the weight which you clearly knew about in advance.

I'll add though, regarding the corduroy, that the Galaxy and also the entire SS lineup of boards have the same issue.
Stain (delamination) and corduroy are big issues that people should know about. Weight is also relevant, it is the heaviest 110cm board i know (and LF officially published the weight only recently, months after they started selling it). With 800$ it is possible to find a much better deal.

rombergo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 75
Local Beach: BBC LA Lomma Parkvägen
Gear: Dwarfcraft 3'6 Micro with LFK Impulse foil

Postby rombergo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:16 am

taiguy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:59 am
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:59 am

Better late than never right? :lol:

The orb I have is 3068 grams, or 6 lbs 12 oz

For comparison, my Galaxy 4'8" is 3330 grams, or 7 lbs 5 oz
I'm not disagreeing you on most points here (delamination is bad, 800€ is expensive) but you DID know about the weight before you bought it, so the way you bring it up seems like it came as a shock to you.

Peter, I also don't know much about the details of board construction but the Orb seems a very different construction to me to most other foilboards. Feels like a straight up surfboard in the texture and outer layer, whereas I'd normally expect eps + carbon or some full color coating on essentially any other foilboard I've seen?

Asking to learn, not to be argumentative tho. I feel most brands have way too bad (or nonexistent) exploded construction charts so it's hard to casually learn.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:11 pm

gigibianchi wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am
Snip...
Most foiboards does have a pad where the "harness is" and my harness didn't leave any marks on any other board i tried or owned, but i wrote that as well on my post... Do you intentionally ignore the parts that you don't like? are you affiliated with LF? :wink:

Snip...

I still dont understand this...

Have never seen a board with "deliberate" padding where the harness is - I think it is more a coincidence if there is padding in this area or not.

So my point was, on some of my boards, if I have a plastic harness cleat when I wear board under my arm, it will scratch the board surface between pads, and it will look bad.

Thus I am careful not to wear it like that.

If a problem, I would just add a pad in this very place.

But your pad is not destroyed as I understand it, it HAS a pad in this area, actually a full deck padding I can see on a picture, so you are complaining that it gets marks when something hard on your harness is rubbing against it?

I can not see this being an issue really :roll:

Regarding the nose, it seems like a flaw indeed.
My point was, that even if you just put the board on the ground nose down, it might get this delamination very easy, just caused by this, if a bad production - fragile.
Meaning, the board seems to be very fragile in this area, as you can NEVER avoid the nose gets some beating, it will happen many times when foiling, and even when you just put it on the ground nose down.

This is the issue I can see, not the 3 other ones, as they look like they are written in frustration?

My boards cost 1200 dollars (but totally worth it), so seen in this context 800 is not bad.

No, I dont have any LF boards or kites whatsoever :wink:
The thing is, it sounds like many non-reasonable claims, on top of maybe a real claim.
So always trying to even out and find the objective view on things, so we can share and learn.

Just like the thread "Armstrong Foil is junk" - which was apparently very misplaced use of words, and proved to be quite wrong, so had to comment on that too, even though I dont have any Armstrong gear.

Some threads are written in anger or desperation, which can be quite misleading sometimes :-?

8) Peter

Neurovelo
Rare Poster
Gear: Switchblade + spectrum 2018

Postby Neurovelo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:06 pm

Show photos of the stain and marks in your board.

Return to “Hydrofoil”