Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Let's talk about our favorite kites for fast/powered riding.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Let's talk about our favorite kites for fast/powered riding.

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:16 pm

So, there's lots of discussion of small, drifty, lightly powered kites lately.

What about those of us who like to go fast? I've been riding a quiver of Flysurfer Souls most of this season so far, and I've enjoyed them. The problem is that I'm planning an extended boat trip to the Caribbean, and while I know that drift launching a foil kite from the back of a boat is *possible*, I'm not sure it's really ideal for a daily driver in a place where I might be kiting more or less by myself with not too many people around.

So I'm interested in the kites with performance closest to the Soul that are inflatable, and hopefully that can compete with it in light winds down to 8-10 knots at least. The Ozone edge seems like it might be the best option performance wise. For light wind, the new aluula Ocrean Rodeo Flite in 12m would probably be pretty unbeatable. I also have 7/9/12m Cabrinha Apollos that might be just as good as anything currently available, especially for everything above 10 knots.

What do you ride? What do you like? What would you like to try?
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post:
Trent hink (Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:23 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Let's talk about our favorite kites for fast/powered riding.

Postby grigorib » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:37 pm

Fast/powered are Edges and 2017 Turbines (5/7/9/11). They go fast, edge upwind like mad, boost you to the moon and deliver great hangtime. HA wings at their usual pretty much. Yet they don’t work for looping/downwinders as loop power is through the roof, just a bit over what I personally was looking for. Those are not aforementioned fast turning / nicely drifting wings either so when I was in a narrow channel going directly downwind with kite sweeping through wind window at tornado power and flying to the far opposite wind window edge - it was far from ideal.

Apollos are same club yet relaunch of those in light wind is underwhelming

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:50 pm

grigorib wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:37 pm
Apollos are same club yet relaunch of those in light wind is underwhelming
Relaunch on the Apollo in light winds is worse than my Souls. If the wind totally dies though, the self-rescue is still better on the Apollo. :)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:26 pm

You should just get that OR flight in Aula in 12m and use the apollos in 7 and 9.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:54 am

I have 12 chrono, 10 edge, 8 enduro, 6 reo, 4 uno.

I prefer the 12 chrono to the 10 edge in lighter winds as it stays in the are and is much more likely to not end up in the water. The 10 edge, though fantastic when powered up doesnt not relaunch well in light winds or and its heavy an falls out of the sky early earlier than low aspect kites. Sub 13 knots is frustration if you drop the 10 edge as it wont relaunch, for that reason I usually go straight from chrono to enduro.

The enduro has reasonable performance in all aspects, however it is not a high speed firecracker like the edge. A smaller edge in higher winds would be interesting on the foil. That said I would still go for the enduro over the edge as it can run more dynamically deeper downwind looping through waves for powered wave riding, The edge is more a speed and boost machine and definately not as good down wind unless you want to just haul broadreach at max speed,

Dave_H
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas
Style: Airstyle, kite foil, wing foil
Gear: Souls, Flites and Swings
Delta

Postby Dave_H » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:10 am

I have Souls, Flites, and an Edge in my quiver for foil boarding. For what you are looking for, the OR Flite may be a good LEI choice to compliment the Souls. The Flite relaunch is very good, even in light wind. The one thing that I had to get used to on the 12m Flite was the very fast turning speed even on lowest setting. My Flites are the dacron versions, so I can only imagine the new Aluula ones would be even better. My experience with the 9m Edge is similar to what others have mentioned with it not being very friendly for light wind relaunch.

HendrikVdP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cadzand-bad Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: kitebeach el gouna Egypt
Style: freestyle
Gear: north vegas '10 7m
north vegas '08 9&12m²
undergound flx 132
Has thanked: 0

Postby HendrikVdP » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 am

If you want to go fast , go high aspect for sure.
Since you already have your appolo’s why not use those ?

Relaunch on a 4 line high aspect in light winds will be junk yes, but we invented a solution for that in 2006.
The 5th line !

I ride on a low aspect surf foil, light wind kite is a 15m mono, but under 10 knots the 5th line always goes on.
Saved my ass multiple times.

With a bit of work, and minimal investment just add a 5th line to one of your bars and you’re set.
Release can remain on one of the front lines , just got to make sure your 5th is slightly slacked and you’re good to go !

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:22 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:16 pm
So, there's lots of discussion of small, drifty, lightly powered kites lately.

What about those of us who like to go fast? I've been riding a quiver of Flysurfer Souls most of this season so far, and I've enjoyed them. The problem is that I'm planning an extended boat trip to the Caribbean, and while I know that drift launching a foil kite from the back of a boat is *possible*, I'm not sure it's really ideal for a daily driver in a place where I might be kiting more or less by myself with not too many people around.

So I'm interested in the kites with performance closest to the Soul that are inflatable, and hopefully that can compete with it in light winds down to 8-10 knots at least. The Ozone edge seems like it might be the best option performance wise. For light wind, the new aluula Ocrean Rodeo Flite in 12m would probably be pretty unbeatable. I also have 7/9/12m Cabrinha Apollos that might be just as good as anything currently available, especially for everything above 10 knots.

What do you ride? What do you like? What would you like to try?
If you are happy with Flysurfer why do not stay with them. Here you can buy the Boost3 very cheap!
https://www.kite-elements.de/gebrauchtm ... es/boost3/

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:17 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:26 pm
You should just get that OR flight in Aula in 12m and use the apollos in 7 and 9.
This is actually a pretty good solution that only has me buying one new kite.

Return to “Hydrofoil”