Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Shorter board is less playful...!

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:24 pm

Huib wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:31 am
I went from a Groove Skate (carbon) 120 cm to a Groove Wave (carbon) 123 cm. Mastpostion exactly the same.
Both boards have a lot of scoop. But the Wave is much more dynamic then the Skate. With the skate, I considered buying a smaller board.
Now that I have the Wave, this is a thing of the past
I can't explain why there is so much difference in characteristics but I now know that despite that board is above water, the design is very important.
I also had the Skate S and just got my custom Wave from Groove and put a couple sessions on it. I had them do mine 100cm, full carbon, and concave deck. I wish they would have put more concave in but god I do love this thing. I don’t know if it’s the short length, new design, or both but it is insanely nimble and tons of fun. I can’t wait to really try it out in some good swell(I’ve only had it on my little lake right now).

=Jason-

kit3surfer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Postby kit3surfer » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:47 pm

Here at 2.10 sec you can see what I was originally talking about. With my old longer, flexible, novolume board I was easily doing these turns on small chop waves (great fun). But now with my shorter moses 1,20m volume, stiff board, I am no more able to make the same foilwing turn that loose.
Any more help...?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:16 am

Nice video, good skills, good to see as I believe most of us thought you were less skilled.

It might make sense for you, that a bit of flex makes these turns better and easier.

Or it could be your body has just gotten used to it, and it will come in time with a stiffer board.

8) Peter

kit3surfer
Medium Poster

Postby kit3surfer » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:06 am

Hi Peter,
that's not me. Unfortunately I have no footage of me, but I stumbled across this clip and thought, that at 2.10 this guy is doing exactly what I was doign formerly (especially that loose). Pictures explain sometimes better zhan 1000 words....
Should mast be more to the back or more to the front if I am struggling a bit?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:04 pm

Well,

Having gone from a 43" low volume wood deck that had a little flex to a 43" low volume carbon board with zero flex.

For sure they feel different, but if anything the acuity in feedback from the foil increases with stiffer materials.

My advice, Leave the foil as is, give it some time and carve harder. Perhaps the more rigid feel has made you a little tentative and you just need to re discover how hard you can push your foil.

On the other hand you mention volume/thickness. I do think that can make a noticeable difference in feel. Flat or even concave feels very different from even a tiny bit of dome in the deck. What I find feels great on a surfboard feels horrid on a foil.

Most times people downsize in length they are also downsizing in thickness and volume.

Give it some time to relearn how to carve as hard as you were previously. Then try the flexy board again to see what you think.

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity

Postby mr_daruman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Test riding my 33" that day. Check out the quick edge to edge. Foil is a spitfire.

rombergo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 75
Local Beach: BBC LA Lomma Parkvägen
Gear: Dwarfcraft 3'6 Micro with LFK Impulse foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby rombergo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:49 pm

Regarding the shape of the board, could it simply be that the old one was wider where it needed to be so you could exert more force easier when doing your turns by placing your foot a bit further out? Do you have pictures of both boards?

(That spitfire looks fun fun fun btw. Still looks backwards and weird in itself.. but playful!)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:23 am

rombergo wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:49 pm
Regarding the shape of the board, could it simply be that the old one was wider where it needed to be so you could exert more force easier when doing your turns by placing your foot a bit further out? Do you have pictures of both boards?

(That spitfire looks fun fun fun btw. Still looks backwards and weird in itself.. but playful!)

I dont think so.

You dont use the edge pressure at all to turn a foil, so having your foot or feet further out wont give you faster turning.

But you definitely want your feet to be in balance over the center, when you "surf" with either slack lines (or on a wingfoil).
Also a wide board can give you two different stances, still centered, as you can stand with front foot far windward, and rear far leeward, thus get a good position for carving and riding toeside.

But agree with you rombergo, if the OP ride with frontstraps only, he might need more width to stand more leeward with rear foot to feel balanced.

Jumptheshark is right, stiffer is better, more direct and can turn faster.
So I would just let time roll, and you will soon be able to carve back and fourth really fast like on your old big soft board :thumb:

8) Peter

rombergo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 75
Local Beach: BBC LA Lomma Parkvägen
Gear: Dwarfcraft 3'6 Micro with LFK Impulse foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby rombergo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:58 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:23 am
Also a wide board can give you two different stances, still centered, as you can stand with front foot far windward, and rear far leeward, thus get a good position for carving and riding toeside.

But agree with you rombergo, if the OP ride with frontstraps only, he might need more width to stand more leeward with rear foot to feel balanced.

8) Peter
Yeah this is what I was thinking about. I know it helped me a lot for turning in the beginning to have my front foot quite on the heel side and rear foot equally on the toe side, still CoG in same place, just turned a bit forwards. If not sufficient space to do that with the same stance, maybe could affect the ease of turning with same speed..?

kit3surfer
Medium Poster

Postby kit3surfer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:33 pm

I only ride strapless. Moved the foil a bit to the back and seems to be also a bit better for my style to make the board turn.

8) Peter
[/quote]

Return to “Hydrofoil”