Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

moses 101 mast, build and finish quality, 2020?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Flysurfer Soul 9mtr
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites - 9 +11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin
Brand Affiliation: None

moses 101 mast, build and finish quality, 2020?

Postby Foil » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:53 am

looking for the truth on the latest 101 masts coming out from Moses right now,
the older 2018 2019 longer masts are so different than the new bang up to date 82 cm carbon mast, the finish on the new 82cm mast is so much better and I believe the core is not foam, but wood core instead,
I don't want to order a new 101 mast if its the older type of finish and construction, not when the 82cm mast is so much better and more future maintenance free.
the trailing edge of most of the older masts have dry rough patches on the trailing edge, and over time many can be found with exterior finish maintenance requirements, not hard to do but it needs to be done for perfect smooth and quiet running at higher speeds.

dave1986
Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Re: moses 101 mast, build and finish quality, 2020?

Postby dave1986 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:04 am

I would be interested to know the answer to the same question.

I thought that the newer 72cm and 82cm masts were constructed differently than the older masts due to being intended for a different use. I.e the older masts were built with a thinner profile and less layers of carbon with the intention of producing less drag. But with the recent popularity of larger wings, the older masts give a little bit of undesirable flex. Which is why they introduced the 72cm and 82cm masts with a thicker profile, less flex (but more drag).

I also wonder how much effect the core material (wood vs foam) has to the performance of the mast, compared with the number of layers of carbon?

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:52 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:04 am
I would be interested to know the answer to the same question.

I thought that the newer 72cm and 82cm masts were constructed differently than the older masts due to being intended for a different use. I.e the older masts were built with a thinner profile and less layers of carbon with the intention of producing less drag. But with the recent popularity of larger wings, the older masts give a little bit of undesirable flex. Which is why they introduced the 72cm and 82cm masts with a thicker profile, less flex (but more drag).

I also wonder how much effect the core material (wood vs foam) has to the performance of the mast, compared with the number of layers of carbon?
I believe everything you are saying to be correct re the shorter masts being targeted at larger wings and needing to be more robust. The longer 101 really more intended for kite spec wings....but I do go pretty hard on my now 3 year old 101 with the 679 wing....but that is not an extreme wing. A buddy is doing extreme things with a standard 101 and the huge 1500 790 so the masts can take it...probably just more flex than is optimal. at certain lengths it becomes impossible to make really stiff without adding thickness and that in turn changes hydrodynamics to a level that does not work at race wing speeds so the long masts will likely not ever have the current profile and be as stiff as the shorter ones...I forget the dimension that was the limiting factor but it was a specific number of mm as the limit.

tkaraszewski
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Moses/F-One/Flysurfer mostly

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:20 pm

I have both a new 101 mast and an 82 mast that I can compare for you, but I’m not actually sure what information you’d like. I’m not going to cut open my 101 and see if the Core is wood or foam, of course. Both are are clearcoated and seem to have similar finish quality.

The finish on my 91 that’s three years old now did eventually start to crack and flake, but not in the first year I had it, so I don’t know what will happen with these newer masts in a year or two.

Both masts are in my van, along with an older 91, so I can answer questions about them, but I don’t know the cite material and don’t know if the finish will flake in a year or two.

Return to “Hydrofoil”