Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

CAD Software

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

CAD Software

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:28 am

I am looking for some 3D cad software to analyse the shape of boards and foils.

Just out of interest I have measured my foils to calculate the area. It's not terribly difficult, but it is a bit laborious and I have to create formulas in spreadsheets. I would like to do the same thing for some boards I have, and do it in a more systematic manner.

It seems to me the act of measuring a board or a foil is the same thing. A bunch of X,Y, Z measurements from a datum. The more measurements the more accurate. Interpolate the spaces between the measurements. Plot the shape. Tell me the area and volume and anything else I can get out of it.

Can anybody recommend any good, free 3D cad programs that would do the job?

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: FS Soul 2 8m + 10m, CAB Fusion DA foil, backyard built split-TTs, skimboards and foilboards

Re: CAD Software

Postby BalsaMichel » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:07 am

OzBungy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:28 am
I am looking for some 3D cad software to analyse the shape of boards and foils.

Just out of interest I have measured my foils to calculate the area. It's not terribly difficult, but it is a bit laborious and I have to create formulas in spreadsheets. I would like to do the same thing for some boards I have, and do it in a more systematic manner.

It seems to me the act of measuring a board or a foil is the same thing. A bunch of X,Y, Z measurements from a datum. The more measurements the more accurate. Interpolate the spaces between the measurements. Plot the shape. Tell me the area and volume and anything else I can get out of it.

Can anybody recommend any good, free 3D cad programs that would do the job?
Hi!

Fusion360 from Autodesk will work for what you have in mind. It´s free if you are willing to sign an annual declaration that you don´t use it for business (or not above a certain amount of turnover). It has an amazing set of tools for 3D-modelling, milling, FEM stress-analysis and thermal/flow-analysis. You can measure out areas and volumes of 3D-models very easily there.

Might need some time until you will be familiar with drawing sketches and make 3D-modeling

Micha

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:16 pm

1+ fusion with one minus its cloud based...

otherwise solidworks

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:59 pm

Try onshape

Free and cloud based

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: FS Soul 2 8m + 10m, CAB Fusion DA foil, backyard built split-TTs, skimboards and foilboards

Postby BalsaMichel » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:49 pm

purdyd wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:59 pm
Try onshape

Free and cloud based
I have tried onshape some months ago on a quite old ipad. It´s really cool. Just lost interest because I have SolidWorks here (and no time to play) :D

Micha

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:17 pm

BalsaMichel wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:49 pm
purdyd wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:59 pm
Try onshape

Free and cloud based
I have tried onshape some months ago on a quite old ipad. It´s really cool. Just lost interest because I have SolidWorks here (and no time to play) :D

Micha
Doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of solid works but the workflow is better. Less clicking.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:47 am

I use Openscad CAD programming language to mathematically describe the shapes I 3D print.
I looked into and downloaded simFlow last year when I was curious about the same thing but I haven't tried it yet.

Return to “Hydrofoil”