A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses foil wings for Windwing foiling

Postby Frankieboy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:53 am

max wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:57 am
I have been thinking about getting the 1100 . . . can you say why you feel it is too big for winging?
it is OK for light wind or heavy guys like me as it starts early but it feels BIG under your feet (like this whole wingding thing actually)
Once up on the foil the 790 is nicer, not really a question of speed but the balance R/L is just much nicer then on the huge 1100 (which is 1m10!)

So if your light enough or ride in windy conditions or have a good technique I would say use a smaller front wing

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly kite foil and wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, Moses 633/450/72cm/82cm, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Echo 6/5/4/3.3m wing-a-dings, SurfMachine 5’1” 90l wing board, Gong pro XL, Moses 1100/790

Postby Dave K » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:38 am

Frankieboy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:53 am
max wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:57 am
I have been thinking about getting the 1100 . . . can you say why you feel it is too big for winging?
it is OK for light wind or heavy guys like me as it starts early but it feels BIG under your feet (like this whole wingding thing actually)
Once up on the foil the 790 is nicer, not really a question of speed but the balance R/L is just much nicer then on the huge 1100 (which is 1m10!)

So if your light enough or ride in windy conditions or have a good technique I would say use a smaller front wing
In the beginning I thought the same thing about the 1100 feeling really big and a bit unwieldy,...but over time you really learn how to push it around fairly quickly like a smaller wing. You are rewarded with a wing that has tremendous glide, great top end, and a very low stall speed and reasonably “turny”. Heck, just watch some video of Balz Muller going crazy winging with a 1100. It’s like he’s on a foil half that size!

Rumor has it that Ken Winner likes to use the 1100 wingfoiling (with a long mast) in those huge 10 ft Hawaiian open water swells. Just a rumor

joekitetime
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown

Postby joekitetime » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 pm

I'm pretty stoked to see this thread! I just contacted Moses and said I have the 1100, 873 and 790 but want something faster! Same as the question posted! So I'm following this. Moses said to try the 679 so I'll look into it. But I've heard lots of folks around trying out the Mikes Labs foils and they seem to be going bizzerk over them and I hear there is a long wait list already. But wingers are swearing by them. I was gonna try the 1000. I wish there was a bit more feedback on that one.

Winging is growing like crazy! Time to step up Moses! Give us what we want!!!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:11 pm

When you say "something faster", do you mean more speed or more agility?

Problem with this English term, always, can be misunderstood :thumb:

For Wingfoil the 1100 turns slow, so assume you mean agility.

8) Peter

Wazza Foil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:42 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:58 pm
Wazza Foil wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:22 pm
Agree foil sizes are confusing.
For me to put my $ up without the opportunity to demo I need span, chord, thickness and aspect. For some reason aspect seems different to span and chord.
Then check comments on here and then see how all fits me.
Chord is variable over span and affects aspect. A perfectly rectangular wing has the same chord at the tips as in the center, but most wings taper so they have a smaller chord near the tips. The actual formula for aspect ratio takes this into account:

> It is equal to the square of the wingspan divided by the wing area.

So a wing with fat wingtips will have a lower aspect ratio than a wing with narrow wingtips, even if the chord is the same at the centerline.
Thanks for that explanation as I now understand.

Return to “Hydrofoil”