Bennis123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong Veloce impressions

Postby Bennis123 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:43 am

Sorry for hijacking the thread with a stupid question. But I can't seem to locate on gong's website the wing everyone refers to as Pro M. On the Gong website the kite foils are called Allvator all-round, freeride, freewave and veloce. Is it a new naming scheme?

It sounds like a cheaper alternative to the Moses 633 when I'm upgrading from my SS Space skate.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:01 am

Bennis123 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:43 am
Sorry for hijacking the thread with a stupid question. But I can't seem to locate on gong's website the wing everyone refers to as Pro M. On the Gong website the kite foils are called Allvator all-round, freeride, freewave and veloce. Is it a new naming scheme?

It sounds like a cheaper alternative to the Moses 633 when I'm upgrading from my SS Space skate.
I think the choices these days are between the Curve and Veloce for kiting. The pack naming is definitely confusing, but you can see the wings in the WINGS/STABS/FUSELAGES/MASTS section, under kite. Under the surf section you will see Rise, Curve and Veloce wing options.

I would highly recommend the Veloce M if you are looking for a bit more speed compared to the Space skate. Or the Veloce L if you are heavy or looking for very light wing performance. Tom has used the Curve and Veloce so might be able to add some more info, but I think the Veloce is a excellent and versatile wing. Turns well, low drag and good speed.
Capture.PNG

spiru
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Laredo, Sopelana, Ereaga
Favorite Beaches: Laredo
Viana
Gear: Cloud 3.7 4.8 6.2 8 10.4 13.4
Phantasm 657
Nomad Wave
Makos
Fone surf

Postby spiru » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:31 am

PrfctChaos wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 am
spiru wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:27 pm
One of the things I don't like about Gong fuselages/stabs is that it is not possible to shim stabs to adapt to different personal preferences. I'll explore options for custom DIY fuselage/stab options.
Here is a idea for custom stab pedestal. I use it all the time with my Veloce L (Lightwind/ wave kiting and prone). Smaller and more reactive than the Veloce 43 stab. The sort of loose and fast handling I'm used too.

The custom stab is 390mm wingspan, 60mm chord and a NACA0009 profile. 2 degrees downward angle compared to front wing.

16951384.jpg
Good job adapting stabs. Is that a carbon fuselage? Any reason why you use a symmetrical profile NACA0009 for the stab instead of a more common asymmetrical profile?

spiru
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Laredo, Sopelana, Ereaga
Favorite Beaches: Laredo
Viana
Gear: Cloud 3.7 4.8 6.2 8 10.4 13.4
Phantasm 657
Nomad Wave
Makos
Fone surf

Postby spiru » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:38 am

Jan:) wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:08 pm
I made a number of tails for my gong foil and scrwed them onto the fuse with some sort of adapter/cover for the fuse.
STL's are attached if someone want to play with customs stabs.

One is short and uses the original holes on the fuse with 30mm distance between holes.
The other only uses one hole from the fuse and has a length more similar to the original gong stab.

Thats the one I used mostly.
Second screw goes directly into the 3d printed part.

stab).jpg
Thank you for sharing the STL files. I had the maiden flight today on the Veloce M and I may experiment with my own stabs

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:51 am

spiru wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:31 am
PrfctChaos wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 am
spiru wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:27 pm
One of the things I don't like about Gong fuselages/stabs is that it is not possible to shim stabs to adapt to different personal preferences. I'll explore options for custom DIY fuselage/stab options.
Here is a idea for custom stab pedestal. I use it all the time with my Veloce L (Lightwind/ wave kiting and prone). Smaller and more reactive than the Veloce 43 stab. The sort of loose and fast handling I'm used too.

The custom stab is 390mm wingspan, 60mm chord and a NACA0009 profile. 2 degrees downward angle compared to front wing.

16951384.jpg
Good job adapting stabs. Is that a carbon fuselage? Any reason why you use a symmetrical profile NACA0009 for the stab instead of a more common asymmetrical profile?
I wrote a bit about it here, and compared results of the some different thickness symmetric stabs with asymmetric sections. I only found negatives with the asymmetric sections, but I wouldn't say my analysis was exhaustive. I just picked a few asymmetric sections to check against. Didn't do the check for the entire +2500 sections, because it requires manual input for stabs.
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2407467&start=120

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:13 am

Bennis123 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:43 am

It's confusing because Gong lists the complete foils under those headings. The Freewave comes with the Curve wing, which is available in different sizes, one of which is the M (which used to be called the MPro). If you look under the wings/stabs/fuselages/masts section it lists the different wings available. The M Curve wing is a great wing for all-round riding, the Veloce is a little more speed oriented ... & the MT is positioned between the two of them - a little higher aspect & thinner than the Curve. You can't go wrong with any of them. They should all be significantly faster & livelier than the SS Space skate.

Bennis123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: None

Postby Bennis123 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:25 pm

Thanks for clearing this up! I do like the lowend of the space skate during still summer days, but it's hard to keep the wing in the water when i gain speed down a wave.

I guess the curve might be for me then if I want to have good low end but a bit better performance in the waves?

Also does anyone know the weight of the Gong setups? The space skate with 90cm mast weighs a ton.

Jan:)
Frequent Poster

Postby Jan:) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:03 pm

My aluminium setup with 90cm mast and Veloce XL was 4.7kg.
So weight is pretty ok.

For me the mast is too flexy for the bigger foils though.
But most setups share that problem.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:12 pm

Bennis123 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:25 pm
Thanks for clearing this up! I do like the lowend of the space skate during still summer days, but it's hard to keep the wing in the water when i gain speed down a wave.

I guess the curve might be for me then if I want to have good low end but a bit better performance in the waves?

Also does anyone know the weight of the Gong setups? The space skate with 90cm mast weighs a ton.
The M Curve wing has plenty of lift for me (82 kg). I don't feel the need for anything larger. The weight of the alu mast combo is on the lighter end of aluminium set-ups.

KappuhH
Medium Poster

Postby KappuhH » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:42 pm

Any experience with the new Fluid wings? Just in between the Curve and Veloce? So a bit slower than the Veloce but more playful?

Return to “Hydrofoil”